Any good fits for the Republic Fleet Firetail? (who can fight Rocket-Hookbills)

@Io_Koval
Reg. means regarding. I will change the shortcut in the future and write it out simply.

What Minmatar frig to concentrate on next? One that maybe can take on some of these frigs…

If you held a gun to my head and forced me to choose one, I am a personal fan of the breacher. It has many fits that are viable which requires your opponents to read you first, or take a gamble. That affords you opportunities for favorable matchups. Cheaper than a firetail. But probably less flexible once you have a fit and are in space — navy or faction type ships tend to free you up an extra utility slot or have one extra bonus somewhere over a non faction ship, and slightly better base stats.

Should you fly one you’ll have to be choosier when going up against slicers, hookbills, etc and find the line where your advantages make up for hull differences. The line is there but to build up your soft skills it would be littered with breacher wrecks. But those make great stories, too.

3 Likes

The Breacher is interesting. Somehow I connect it’s abilities with the Probe Fleet Issue since it has some heavy rocket deliverence too incl. a crazy tank.

What would be a start-out fit to get warm with the Breacher and to start the journey of discovering it’s possibilties? I’m about to “unlock” T2 rockets.

Greetings,
Cabal

Sure, here’s an ordinary scram-kite fit:

[Breacher, Scram Kite - 2 Web]
Damage Control II
Ballistic Control System II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer

1MN Afterburner II
Warp Scrambler II
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier
Stasis Webifier II

Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II
Rocket Launcher II

Small Rocket Fuel Cache Partition I
Small Transverse Bulkhead I
Small Transverse Bulkhead I

Warrior II x2

Inferno Rage Rocket x450
Nanite Repair Paste x24
Inferno Javelin Rocket x300

Feel free to use different ammo(s) depending on your target.

With rockets you can also make an anti-kite fit. You’ll need T2 Light Missiles to get a decent kite fit. Drones are important to not forget either, in a fight. There are also unorthodox/unusual shield booster fits and double armor rep fits.

1 Like

Thank you, I like the dual web. Can I technically use one web to get rid of someones drones? (if it’s even worth engaging them).

You just mentioned another of my “construction sites” which is not easy to remember:

Feel free to use different ammo(s) depending on your target.

From what I know, different sides have weaknesses & strengths, additionally: Ammos can have weaknesses and strengths as well: Hail S; very short distance but high dps. How am I to work out the type of ammo when I see a dude warping in.

Sure, but I am dubious how that would help you unless you’re in a desperate situation. Missiles won’t apply damage to drones well, especially the rage ammo won’t.

Quick rundown: T2 missile systems are split into „short range“ and „long range“ systems. For the „short range“ systems like Rockets, the ammo is roughly a „range vs damage“ Tradeoff:

• T2: short range, high damage, poor application (Rage)
  • Navy: nominal range, nominal damage, ok application (Caldari Navy X)
  • T2: „long“ range [its not that much further], lower damage, ok application (Javelin)

(For long weapon systems, like Light missiles, the ammo tradeoff is instead „damage vs application“)

You can make up for poor application. Missiles apply based on 2 factors: target signature radius, and target velocity. For the former you can use target painters. For the latter, webs. Target painters have longer range. Webs have shorter range but give massive advantages as side effects (ex range control).

For Rage ammo, you definitely want 2 webs on your missile target to get decent damage application.

Otherwise, missiles will simply have different names (Nova, Inferno, etc) which just indicate type of damage. Thermal, EM, explosive and kinetic. Missile systems benefit from choosing any type of damage. An Inferno Rage Rocket has exactly the same stats as a Nova Rage Rocket except damage type dealt.

Unless you can find out what exact fit he used and how the fight did go, we can’t really judge why the fight went how it went. But thats the nice thing about your fit, with your dualweb+scram you are almost all the time able to escape by dualwebbing him (+overheat) and leave once you are out of his scram range.

Since your fit already has really really nice buffer eHP and you say you couldn’t even bring his shield half down, I can only guess that he was either extremely blinged (yeah some pilots out there use blingfit+nirvana set in frigs to dominate others in 1on1) or you weren’t able to apply much damage to him (tracking disrupted by the rats? too much range? wrong ammo?).

1 Like

I used Republic Fleet EMP S at 5km. No tracking disruptors, but got a bit drained of cap by rats who turned on me thus… they were on him and near him. That made using the reactive armor somewhat of a pain.

He greeted me, what made me suspicious. Started to bigmouth. One time, he left the hacking site and came back after telling me to wait… I just ignored it and jumped checking other systems. He prepared for something for another encounter with me.

It should make you suspicious. Such people often know your fit and know exactly that they will win an engagement.

And 5km are way too much distance to fight with your fit. You should stay between 1000 and 1500m. Also not sure why to drop the Rocket Launcher, its a good additional DPS which is already the weakspot of your fit.

1 Like

This was a fit of today. Looks like it was this what emptied my capacitor (sort of fits my description of the fight). He relied on drones (incl. boosters). This seemed to was his fit:
Imicus Navy Issue | Therin Darkstar | Killmail | zKillboard

Besides, died against this (he had augmented drones). My fit totally melted within a few seconds.
Imicus Navy Issue | Jamos | Killmail | zKillboard
My fit was:
Republic Fleet Firetail | xCabalx | Killmail | zKillboard
Then I updated it to this:

[Republic Fleet Firetail, *Nero XI]
Multispectrum Energized Membrane II
Reactive Armor Hardener
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier

200mm AutoCannon II
200mm AutoCannon II
Rocket Launcher II

Small Projectile Collision Accelerator I
Small Transverse Bulkhead II
Small Transverse Bulkhead II

Hail S x1200
Republic Fleet EMP S x1366
Inferno Rage Rocket x1087

EDIT:
Another Imicus destroyed my Firetail. Was in contact with other Firetail drivers, stating the excact same problems. I think I’m gonna dumb this ship for good and concentrate on another one.

If you are looking for another ship to fly I am going to second lo Koval’s suggestion of the breacher and thought that I would also suggest a Fleet Issue Vigil. The FI Vigil is similar to a breacher, except it had the bonus to web range, to help you control the engagement range (it sounds like engagement range is the problem). Of course, a FI Vigil costs as much as a Firetail, so you may want to get some experience with a breacher first, then switch to a FI Vigil latter.

1 Like

Have some skilling (weapons) to do for the Breacher and Vigil. I have these two on my list. As I saw last week… the Vigil Fleet Issue can use drones… it’s something that needs attention too since I’m a pure projectile nut.

Besides, heard about folks using 5b isk worth of imp-sets to fly and fight with the Firetail. A bit meh to hear that.

1 Like

Because with Hail you are aplying the worst damage type to him, Explosive-Kinetic…
If you switch to EMP for better damage type you’ll not have the T2 amno bonus…
Well supposing the HB has a double web setup and shield tank.

1 Like

Vigil FI, is a very good scram kiter, better than the firetail.

2 Likes

Try this fit. Always sit in the plex.

Keep at range 500m for a rocket ship, with hail or emp.

Orbit 500 if is a laser boat, load Fusion. Or any long range torret like rails or arties.

Blaster ship, load barrage, and keep at range 6km or set orbit to 3.5km to neut it + fusion.

Dude autocannon ships are the most difficult ships to fly, you need to adapt to your opponent and choose the right amno to use.
Otherwise you are done.

Carry EMP, FUSION, BARRAGE, HAIL and Phased plasma ( pick this if you are unsure what to use).

[Republic Fleet Firetail, slasher IV]

Gyrostabilizer II
Co-Processor II
IFFA Compact Damage Control

1MN Afterburner II
Stasis Webifier II
Medium Ancillary Shield Booster, Navy Cap Booster 50
Warp Scrambler II

200mm AutoCannon II, Hail S
Small Energy Neutralizer II
200mm AutoCannon II, Hail S

Small Projectile Ambit Extension I
Small Auxiliary Thrusters I
Small Projectile Collision Accelerator I

Barrage S x500
Hail S x2000
Navy Cap Booster 50 x50
Nanite Repair Paste x24
Republic Fleet Depleted Uranium S x400
Republic Fleet EMP S x400
Republic Fleet Fusion S x400
Republic Fleet Phased Plasma S x400

1 Like

This imicus fit is insane due the shield buffer. You are not going to kill it with a firetail.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this fit. Going to test it!
What I see a bit as problematic is the shield. It melts a bit too fast, rapidly, and this 60 seconds reload-time of the booster is a death sentence for me, combined with the afterburner (which gives me no escape zone vs. a mwd-fitted opponent)… it’s even more of a one way ticket.

These research nodes (hack-sites) have their share of rats in them who can web/scram others. That’s why a lot of folks fly heavily passive tanked faction frigs. The Firetail only survives with the help of rats (who hopefully won’t turn against me because if they do; I’m done in under 10 seconds).

MWD out of scram range will kill you, and if you scram them they will die quickly.
That’s eve, there is no a best ft or ship for all the situations.
You have to guess and pick the combats that are good for you and avoid the others.

The key to auto cannons is to not actually use the biggest ones, use the 150’s instead of 200’s, you lose 4.5% damage but gain 9% better tracking which is a lot. Application is very important that is why drone boats are so powerful despite tending to do less damage and can’t overheat; the drones apply really well.

I would recommend this

[Republic Fleet Firetail, Republic Fleet Firetail fit]

Damage Control II
Gyrostabilizer II
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II

150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
150mm Light AutoCannon II, Republic Fleet EMP S
Small Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu

Small Polycarbon Engine Housing II
Small Polycarbon Engine Housing II
[Empty Rig slot]

This is a tight fit you can probably drop nos and put in cap rig instead, only reason that nos is there is to guarantee being able to use full AAR before it runs out of paste. Its a tight window but using AB/web/scram/heated AAR drains cap in 30s which is exactly how long you need to run all the paste. completely stable without AAR. nos/cap rig just gives you a bit of buffer.

this is a hybrid armor/sig tank. the polycarbon rigs lose you 200hp buffer but will negate much more than that due to application.

Dual prop MWD allows you to heat to nearly 6k and either chase down or run away from kites. once in range turn it off and put on AB to sig tank, polycarbon rigs also help keep transversal up because they affect turning too.

150 dps with skills five is plenty, because this fit is about out applying damage. The strength of Autocannons are their tracking so you want to use that.

1 Like

The above is very similar to what I fly, except I prefer transverse bulkheads over the polys. This adds some extra tank for the AAR to do it’s job, without increasing sig (shield rigs) or mass (armor rigs.) I think this is personal preference, as there is nothing wrong with preferring sig tanking.

Another great thing about this fit is it can be flexible with very minor adjustments. With good fitting skills (and in some cases meta’ing the web/scram) you can:

• swap the nos for rockets for more close range dps
  • swap the nos for a light missile launcher and kite with the MWD clearing some tank before diving
  • swap the web for a cap booster and the nos for a neut to add cap pressure and increased reps with the AAR
  • swap the AB for a second web to maximize range control

All of these options let you tailor this to your play style and target profile, while maintaining respectable damage, tank, and mobility.

1 Like