[ARC] Hope For All Act litigation

If so, it’s out of frustration. The argument’s … well. I guess I won’t mince words.

It’s ignorant, at best.

The four empires aren’t “enemies” in all ways and senses; they’re rivals, certainly, they spar regularly, there’s a limited war ongoing in certain restricted areas (albeit one with maybe questionable utility), and tensions are often high. However, they’re also, for example, trading partners on a large scale. Quafe has Caldari corporate status; the Federation has a free-trade agreement with the Amarr Empire; you can find just about everybody’s stations in just about everybody else’s territory, sometimes to a degree that looks a little worrying.

Is Isha seriously arguing that Amarrian subjects, even those actively supporting the Empire, should have no legal rights, no standing before a court for that reason alone? It’s absolute nonsense-- and all the more in the Federation, in which ideas like “rights” and “the rule of law” have significant meaning.

Such concepts are basically the Gallentean god, as I understand your own people discovered when you tried to recover a certain person from their custody by force, failed, and then ended up getting him anyway after the court had considered the question. If anyone had forfeited a right to be heard on that matter, it was the Republic, but they heard you anyway, and sided with you.

They believe in law, like, really seem to believe in it. It’s one of their most interesting and attractive features. And here we’re asking for the Federation to abide by the outcome of an inquest they agreed at the outset to abide by, and whose outcome they themselves proposed.

I was there. Like everyone there, I got … almost inevitably infected with that blasted stuff. Kyonoke is an odd thing that acts like a prion here, a virus there, but in the end its structure is more that of a prion. Say what you will about capsuleer “immortality,” nobody was going to let us jump out of there and risk having a burner replicate the disease in a clone bay once that was known. We had backups, maybe all of us did, sure, but the iterations of ourselves attending that conference were facing death.

I wonder how many of us realized it at the time. Ms. Qerl and I certainly did. I had days to look a slow, miserable, degrading death in the face. Arrendis said at the time that I was terrified, and she was right. But we-- the ARC members and allies (long-term or temporary) present, including and especially Ms. Priano-- focused on the work, and we got it done.

Cured. Yaaaaay. (No, really, that was truly a huge relief.)

But I want to know why that happened to me.

If you want to be heard, approach the Amarr in the name of God and the Empress; the Caldari and Matari in the name of their people; the Gallente in the name of laws and rights. You won’t necessarily win, and they might reasonably be skeptical, but I think they’ll all at least hear you.

And the Federation, if it lives up to its principles, maybe most of all. It’s the place where our claim will probably be taken the most seriously, ARC corporations’ individual loyalties notwithstanding.

Probably, if the Federation won’t produce its data as the Inquest’s outcome required, none of the others ever will. If it does, it may become easier to acquire it from the others.

6 Likes