Are Asteroid Collision Boxes Still Over-Sized?

Excellent advice.

I’m sorry to point it out but colliding with an invisible object would be considered by many to be random. Which asteroid in my immediate vicinity does the bubble belong to? Don’t know. Which way will get me untangled the quickest? Don’t know. If I pick an escape from this bubble will it only lead me into another bubble? Don’t know. When the unknown occurs it almost always is random.

Have you considered that maybe I’m not here to argue with players? Perhaps I’m here to bring the issue to the attention to the developers.

Answer me this question: If the collision bubbles were tightened up to make free, un-hindered flight through asteroid fields possible would YOUR gaming experience be hindered?
If it would adversely affect your experience, l’d be interested in knowing about it.

If it would not adversely affect your game or in fact make it better, why not either look the other way or maybe join me in asking for a better game?

Opposition from other players only gives the developers cover to ignore the request.

Lots of arguing and even some name-calling going on over this simple statement:

If I’m in a free-flight space game…I’d like to be able to fly freely.

If you pay me, I’ll teach you to fly safely in the asteroid belt.

I’m sorry you are so bad at this game.

That wasn’t my goal.

My goal was simply to educate. It’s not as simple a problem as it seems at the surface. I think we’re both on the same page there now, which is good.

All that remains is a difference of opinion. I would prefer the devs put their energies into actually delivering the “promised content” of fanfest. And I would prefer if that promised content wasn’t “hey, our asteroids collision hitboxes now match the visuals” if it meant dropping other equally ambitious things. They don’t have infinite resources to deliver things to the player base. The last year or two was a grim reminder of that, with all their energies on “behind the scenes” stuff.

You prefer differently, OK.

1 Like

I just want to reiterate that having asteroid belts be dangerous places, which are difficult to navigate, is hardly an undesirable outcome.

Thanks but I already know how to mine. It worked flawlessly for me for months. Then there was an update.

If I’m in a free-flight space game…I’d like to be able to fly freely. Apparently that’s asking too much of a “free-flight” space sim.

You can do anything you want to in the open-space eve universe. Ummm…Except get within several kilometers of an asteroid. Then you’re gonna have some problems. Never mind that getting close to those asteroids to harvest resources is the base line that the rest of the game depends on–You’re just gonna have some problems. Cope why doncha?

I agree. It should be loaded with peril and be an environment that challenges your abilities. Flying into the surface of an asteroid should be fatal. Even getting too close to one should be problematic. Pirates should be able to hide among the rubble. If you’re not on your game and have your exit strategy ready to go you should suffer your fate.

But…flying into an invisible barrier that you can’t see is a challenge that doesn’t seem to fit. Those other challenges make sense. Randomly scratching down the side of an invisible asteroid collision bubble that represents an asteroid that is kilometers away doesn’t strike me as a good scenario like those others. Especially when getting held up by the un-knowable un-seen can get you killed.

How about this? How about an upgrade that you can buy for your ship that displays these errant no-fly fields around the stroids? Make up some BS about the gravity or magnetic fields that the resources generate. Now I have a tool that shows me where the holes are so I can fly through an asteroid field without some random blob shutting me down? How would that be?

Hi everyone
@Horace_Whimp
There are ways around getting stuck in asteroids. It isn’t so complicated.

I got into my first gank today in 0.4. I was piloting a Catalyst and used two of the hardpoints for miners, lol. It worked okay. I did get me some good rat loot.
My fault I got ganked. I didn’t notice the ganker in Local. Oh well. I mitigated the loss with all the good resources I extracted. Sold everything with a good profit. Not bad for one day.

To be frank…sure there is an issue…but you are making a mountain out of a mole hill as it is easy to avoid.

The solution is very simple indeed. Don’t travel ‘through’ the asteroid belt. When you arrive at a belt, move your ship to a position above the asteroid belt…easy to do by just double clicking the space above an asteroid. Save a bookmark at the position above the belt. You can then warp to it directly from the station. Because asteroids are nearly always the same size and in the same place…you can have several of these bookmarks ( which will show in Locations by pressing ‘L’ ).

Problem solved.

Mining ‘above’ the belt also makes sense when avoiding being ganked. You wont run into asteroids when fleeing…but check that you have a line of sight to the station you may need to flee to.

Thank you.

They don’t realise that the belts are now safer due to the ability to hide between the over size boxes and as long as you have a warp out bookmark on a few spots on the belt the gankers can’t get within range too easily.

So how you doing?

In reality, sensors don’t always spot everything.

So invisible barriers are realistic.

Stop whining and crying. Skilled pilots CAN maneuver in asteroid belts - you just are a crybaby with no skills who needs to stop moaning.

If I’m playing a free-flight space game I want to be able to fly freely in space.

Normally that statement would be self-evident. Yet for some reason I have to keep arguing with people about it.

In this free-flight game you are free to fly anywhere except for the invisible areas that you can’t detect and that will stop you or slow you down. You can do all the planning and practicing you want. You can be as cautious and as diligent as possible. Cover all your bases. BUT…sometimes…and you can’t tell when…you will just suddenly collide with an invisible bubble in space that impedes your escape and makes you completely vulnerable.

Too bad. Your number was up. Random death for you today.

Who needs speed in a pvp flyer anyway?

Well, you can’t. Sorry!

That’s too bad. IMO the game suffers from it.

You know what a good solution might be? I’ll bet it all that in their debug mode the programmers can see a wire frame of those collision bubbles. Why don’t they just program it so that the players can toggle them on and off? That way the players who like them oversized and invisible (you) could keep right on playing like they are now. The players who can’t abide running into invisible barriers (me) could turn them on and fly around them.

That seems like it would fix the issue, doesn’t it?

You can just avoid the asteroids by learning how to pilot your ship.

I can pilot just fine. My ship goes exactly where I want it to go with one exception: When it slams into an invisible barrier that is supposed to represent the surface of an asteroid that is kilometers away. When that happens my ship stops doing what I want it to do and does whatever IT wants to do. “Slowing down A LOT” and sometimes “STOPPING” being two of my ship’s favorite actions in that situation.

No, Sir. I don’t like it when that happens. Not one bit.

Clearly not, hence the continual crying.

Can I ask this question again? I think it’s the third time I’ve asked. Please answer. I know you are avoiding the question because your answer will damage your position in the argument.

If the collision bubble for asteroids were tightened up or made visible would YOUR gaming experience be affected in a negative way?

Yes, I hunt morons that can’t figure out how to navigate the asteroid belt.

Learn to pilot your ship, or die.

Oh, I see.

So, you’re a player who benefits from trapping miners against invisible barriers. That’s why you don’t want the miners to be able to navigate freely?

Did I get that right?