Are their any plans to remove POS in the near future?

Anyone know what will happen to an existing anchored POS? There are about 25 offline, abandoned ones in my home system. Will we get to keep any POS that has been dismantled and returned to our inventory? How about the POS BPO’s that we spent months or years researching?

If I’ve read my dev blogs correctly & haven’t attributed something I read about something else to this then…

iirc one of the new structures will be anchored nearby any contents that can be will be transferred to the new structure & the rest asset safety’d… ownership goes to the owner of the original structure (of course) or in the case of free ports (is it?) is given to the last corp to hold ownership.

I might of course be confusing myself with something else though so could be completely wrong :confused:

No iirc they’re replaced by other structures then go poof, see above.

No, you just keep them, they’ll have no use or value but can probably still be contract sold (some people collect old stuff), there’s never compensation for defunct BPO’s.

EDIT:

Ah… no I don’t think I had, I think that’s all just player owned outposts (whatever the heck they are) & conquerable stations (these I know of), POS may just be going poof & that’s all she wrote?

Looks like there’s a POS bashing party in order then. Like I said, there’s roughly 25 abandoned ones in my home system, most of them owned by 1 or 2 man corps.

A lot are everywhere, many of those corps are holding shells & the toons inactive alts, they might be but a lack of visible activity doesn’t mean they are abandoned, only sure way to find out is bash em, if no one shows to defend them they were abandoned :wink:

Out of the 25 POS in this system, 23 are anchored, offline, no shield, and no defensive or offensive structures. None of them are online, not even the ones with defenses anchored.

Did ccp say anything about removing them one day, over night and compensating for them, or is it more of a “you cant build anymore, so we will just wait for the last of them to die off” kinda deal?
I know some of the POS modules will be converted to citadel services, but i cant seem to fdind information on the POS’s themselves.
Anyone?

Yes, your confusing POS’s with outposts. (outposts being the null-sec player built stations, the ones that are currently invincible and operate more or less exactly like a normal NPC owned station.)
Those are the ones being replaced by citadels.

FAIK the plan is to slowly remove functionality from the POS (its already beginning with many of their bonuses being removed)
The next step would be to remove the ability to anchor any new redundant facilities and shutting down the functionality of any existing ones. (moon mining arrays are already being removed this expansion, i’m uncertain of the status of the others off hand)
Once all functionality has been removed, the last one to be worked on is jump-bridges, which my bet is what the player built stargates are intended to replace. then they will remove the ability to build or anchor any new sticks and the last of the facilities.

During this process they have said they will be running an NPC buyback program, with orders being put up at NPC stations that you can sell any of the old items to. although as of yet none of those have been implemented, and we don’t know yet what kind of prices will be available, although one would assume that they will be substantially under the mineral value. but since they are not worth anything other than as collectors items, getting something back from them is better than getting nothing back.

1 Like

This is speculation on my part but at least on the test server the POS anchoring spot and the moon mining spot for refineries is the same. Logic would conclude that if there’s a POS you won’t be able to anchor a refinery there. So either CCP will unanchor all POS when the update hits, or players will forcibly remove POS from moons which they want to anchor refineries on. My money is on the latter.

It won’t be such a problem in low sec and null since no POS can stand being tickled by a few dreadnaughts/supercapitals. In high sec there is no moon mining anyway so no one will be pressured to anchor refineries at the POS/mining spot. Refineries anchored anywhere can run reactions - no moon is required for that.

Bringing the conversation back to the beginning, what’s happening with the things that can only be done with POS’ right now? For example, I haven’t heard anything about bridges or reverse engineering. I was hoping refineries would address the latter, but it doesn’t look like it is addressed.

Invention service modules already allow reverse engineering.

1 Like

And presumably, the coming soon:tm: player built stargates are going to be the replacement for jump bridges.

Yes there is a whole bunch of rampant speculation about them allowing us to access new systems, etc etc.
but so far every other upwell structure has been used to replace some aspect of pos functionality. the only structure discussed that has not had more details given about it is the stargate, the only fuction from a pos that has not yet been replaced is jump bridges. makes a lot more sense that that is their intention, rather than it being something completely different, and used to access new system, the only evidence for that being at one point a dev said new systems is “something we would like to do at some point”

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.