Arena

Doesn’t look like they wasted very much time on this, tbh.

Then Sir, you have come to the right game! :joy:

Arena would be a whole lot more interesting and better for EVE if you could spectate in the game client, instead of only on Twitch.

It would be even better if we could hear them as well while they could not hear each other!

Edit; Oh the :salt:

Ask the triglavians if you can watch with them

i_like_to_watch

What impact is CCP looking for?

The arena seems to have some merit, at least with a 1v1 in an arena there’s no off-grid repping (if that’s still a thing).

Much easier to see what went wrong when it’s one v’s one rather than lost in a blob v’s blob fight. Has some real possibilities for training where nobody else can interfere.

In EVE you throw them into a war then give them the gun. Better to learn to use the gun first.

1 Like

Arenas? Ew. Is this WoW? Themepark much? E-sports LOL. Cringe.

3 Likes

That’s the old EVE.

The new EVE is: “How do we monetize war? Lets start small to get these puppets used to it. Then slowly work our way up to them paying for something every time they undock. Hell, we can even get them justifying it for us. They are just that dumb.”

2 Likes

So what you are saying is, in this vast EVE universe clones don’t like sports. In that case maybe it’s a problem with the cloning process.

I’m sure it took more effort than when games companies turned game content that was already in-game into achievements. Achievements, how to get people doing things with minimal effort.

Likely something that will let them capitalize on e-sport bucks. Two other games I play a lot tried this and failed miserably, and I find that really painful.

The e-sport scene has to form naturally, you can’t just force it.

Off-grid repping? You mean neutral repping, or off-grid boosting? Those haven’t been a thing for some time now.

I teach new players how to fight, and I have to say that I disagree with this sentiment to a large extent. Throwing players into the fire (but being there to act as support, and to provide the necessary information before and after) usually leads to better results than extensive amounts of staged practice.

And blob versus blob isn’t really a “fight” anyway. It’s just a series of interactions with a largely textual interface, with tactics and movement being centralized and out of your control. A blob fight to a small engagement is the same as what ordering fast food is to cooking a home-made meal - you’re going to eat something, but the quality and satisfaction will be vastly different.

Can arenas help train someone for PvP? Possibly, to some extent they can. But EVE PvP is much more than just positioning yourself and activating your modules - timers, psychological games, the fog of war, et cetera, all play major roles in it.

Also, I’m going to venture a guess that the grand majority of players doing arenas aren’t doing them to “practice PvP,” and those who do want to practice PvP are unlikely to try to do it in arenas, or at the very least won’t try to do so for a long time, because they’ll keep getting annihilated without recourse by the top-end PvPers grinding the leader boards. Maybe when proper matchmaking comes out? Even then, hard to say. Historically, in games I’ve played, arena-like features weren’t seen as the initial steps toward learning PvP, but as the end goal.

2 Likes

No its a fixed imperfection

1 Like

Just bring back the old Cruiser 1v1 Arena we had at the end of Abyssal sites.

2 Likes

Sorry, if you come with broad statements that are easily proven wrong, I’m not going to put in a lot of effort to come up with a counterexample.

Nonetheless, I agree that an arena should be easily accessible by all players interested in arenas, and not just to a few players who conform to the most expensive meta ships in cooperative chat channels.

I didn’t come in with broad statements - I defined them within the context of game design, with all other factors being equal. Return on investment is measured in customer retention and continued spend. Since the arena isn’t monetized at present (and we cannot account for potential future state of monetization), you only have customer retention to look at as a metric for return on investment. If only 2000 players are even engaging in the arena AT ALL, new formats need to appeal to the widest possible audience to draw engagement instead of a handful of players out of an already small engaged base. Thus, when looking at the arena, as a development opportunity, the best spend of development resources is in getting more people involved based on experiences with successes and failures of multi-person engagements, not throwing in pre-solved 1v1 content that people have already acknowledged they would only do once or twice.

2 Likes

They won’t get any more blood out of this stone. These figures are in line with other games with the same features. In a game with the capability to engage in a wide range of activities, only a small percentage will seek PvP, and of that group, a small percentage will do it on a competitive level. For their arenas to become viable as an e-sport, a big chunk of the entire player base would need to engage in them, and that’s just not going to happen. This isn’t DotA, or PUBG, or CS:GO, where the entire point of those games is to have even, competitive matches.

Arenas in EVE will always be limited to acting as the stomping grounds for a few hundred players who are in it to have their names appear on a leader board so that they can brag. You can’t really monetize that.

5 Likes

Oops, seems I missed your ‘with all other factors being equal.’ My bad.

But I don’t think the best spend of development resources is getting more people involved, as I think @Destiny_Corrupted is very much on point that a small side activity in a much larger game like EVE will never draw enough players for even, competitive matches.

2 Likes

I don’t want them to spend on it at all, nor do I think arenas are a best development choice. The whole arena thing is a horrible waste of resources. I wish it went away. But that’s not what the thread is about. :woman_shrugging:

Since CCP has stated their investment in cycling arena formats, meaning dev time is happening period, it’s a matter of trying to make the formats ‘least worst’. The only thing worse than 1v1 class restricted is 1v1 FFA. Please no, anything else would be better.

2 Likes

In that regard, and despite all of the sarcasm, I also believe that a “battlegrounds” feature would actually be a better choice than arenas.

But we already have that! It’s called FW! They should just improve that, mainly by making every player have to choose a side, but not punishing them with standings losses by killing members of other factions.

But CCP wants “MLG PRO E-Sports” so this is what we get, a “proving grounds” bestowed upon up by our Triglavski overlords.

4 Likes