Arming a starter ship

I just got my first frigate an incursus, and it says it gets +10% to small hybrid turret falloff and +5% to small hybrid turret damage. My three questions are:

1. How important are those bonusses, could I instead use a bigger gun?
  2. What the heck does falloff mean?
  3. railgun or blaster?
    EDIT: this is for a ship that I dont plan to fight in many multiplayer battles.
2 Likes
  1. The bonus stats for each ship are very important.

2. Falloff is the range, after your optimal range that you are able to still apply damage, but not as much damage compared to your optimal range.

3.Railgun or Blaster.

Railguns are for medium to long range. I think the most falloff that you can achieve in an Incursus is around 50km. Raliguns are able to due damage but not as much as Blasters. Railguns are mainly for long range damage assist where the range is based on the type of Hybrid charge that you use.

Blasters are for bruiser fits that are close up and personal Think of a professional boxer or a kangaroo beating up on the hapless drunk walking home from the pub late at night.

The only ships that you really want to fit larger guns on are the Fast Attack Battlecruisers which are Battlecruisers that can fit Battleship sized weapons.

Besides, if you are running a ship with bonuses for small guns, fitting medium guns won’t increase the DPS of the medium guns.

A good role for an Incursus is going after shuttles, training frigates and cargo haulers in Low or Null Sec.

Since your frigate won’t have a very difficult time tracking larger ships with its guns, your best option would be to fit a scrambler, 24km for a railgun fit and 9km for a blaster fit. Two Mag Stabs plus DCU II and a TII Overdrive. Fit a ten km Webber plus After Burner. Blasters for short range and railguns for long range.

In the rig slots you can fit T1 rigs for damage and an optimal range increase.

1 Like

Aim for the ship that fits your race/skill tree.
Check the requirements tab in ship information window.

1. Bonuses are very important, use those as base information fitting up your ship to get most out of it.

2.Falloff is the weapons falloff range on your ship.
Weapons wont be doing any significant damage exceeding this range.

1. Blaster for short range. (High Damage)
    Railgun long range. (High Falloff)

I’m probably going for a blaster fit, I guess, what are mag stabs, dcu 2, and overdrives? and which part of the local market can I find them on?
EDIT: also, whats the best type of blaster?

Im going easy way and tell you that for module information you should just check information window.

†Mag stabs i think will give hybrid weapons more damage

*dcu2 no idea :slight_smile:

*Overdrive will give you speed bonus

The best market place in all New Eden is Jita4-4

DCU - Damage Control Unit - low-slot module that increases damage resistances
Mag Stab - Magnetic Field Stabilizer - low-slot module that increases per-shot damage and rate of fire for hybrid turrets
Overdrive - Overdrive Injector System - low-slot module that increases maximum ship speed at the expense of cargo capacity

2 Likes

thanks!
Just checked the prices, I wont be buying that any time soon, especially since I blew all my cash on the guns.

What ship your aiming at?
I could easily contract you fitted ship in Jita 4-4 later.

@Arthur_Rowan
Firstly, Welcome to New Eden!

The bonuses sound like an Atron. I believe they are the ships given out as part of the Career Agent learning missions - I’m Amarrian, we get an Executioner which is the equivalent T1 Attack/Tackle frigate.

Normally fit to the bonuses - if you train Gallente Frigate to Level IV then that’s a 20% bonus to damage, the same as a couple of Magnetic Stabilisers.

Eve University have a good summary on Turrets. At the bottom of that page is a link to a detailed run through the mechanics of turrets. Basically, maximum damage at optimal range, significantly reduced damage at the falloff range. Almost nothing at twice falloff range. Different ammunition types trade range and damage, and have different capacitor usage.

There is a fitting simulation in game, or you can use an external tool such as PYFA.

Market: Ship modules, weapons and so forth, are under the “Ship Equipment” tree. Or if you have the info box open for an item there’s a “show in market” button. Or right click on the name of something and if it has a market listing then it has an option in that pop up menu.

One quick silly that catches people: if you need to resell and old module or ship you need to re-package it first (right-click and select from the menu). It needs to be fully repaired before repackaging as well.

You’ve done the right thing by asking. We may argue details among ourselves answering you, but Eve is complex and there are many opinions and approaches. In general many people here will try and help.

He said it in the first post:

Here is a fit from the Alphas Guide to Lowsec Ratting by Reload.

[Incursus, Low Sec Ratting]
Small Armor Repairer II
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Vortex Compact Magnetic Field Stabilizer
200mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
J5b Enduring Warp Scrambler
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier

Anode Light Ion Particle Cannon I

Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I

Hobgoblin I x1

Antimatter Charge S x5000

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.