Astero Expertise

In my continued journey to make EVE work for me this time around, 4x, I have been successful in Trading & some exploration, I now am moving in Astero expertise.

Looking for tips on fits for both PVP & Exploration, low to null sec, Astero traps to avoid, how to avoid them & escape when necessary, tips on covert & cloaked activities, ie ganking.

Thanks in advance

EP

I can relate.

For exploration in the Astero you should try the pirate relic/data sites in wormholes. They’re relatively safe and decent isk. You can also do low level dedsites 1-3/10 and some unrated sites in known space. If you have good hacking/analyzing skills you can try Limited Sleeper Caches.

As for pvp you can fit it to brawl or kite. The brawling fit is much stronger but I have a kiting fit that uses an expanded probe launcher. With an expanded probe launcher your DPS is low so I would only recommend that if you have an alt or a friend you can bring in once you catch something.

Splash some isk on the armor repper and fit an ab/web/scram if you want to brawl. I like to use faction drones on the Astero because they have a lot more HP and they’re a little faster than t2’s so they’re hard to kill, and they’re cheap. Lastly always use drugs. Hardshell or Overclocker or Exile or even X-Instinct. Also use some cheap implants that help armor or navigation.

Here are some fits:

Brawl

[Astero, Brawl]

Centii A-Type Small Armor Repairer
Damage Control II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II

1MN Afterburner II
Small Capacitor Booster II
Stasis Webifier II
Warp Scrambler II

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump II
Small Nanobot Accelerator I

Federation Navy Hobgoblin x5
Imperial Navy Acolyte x5
Republic Fleet Warrior x5

Kite/Expanded

[Astero, Expanded]
IFFA Compact Damage Control
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer
Co-Processor II
Co-Processor II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Caldari Navy Warp Disruptor
‘Crucible’ Small Cap Battery
Eutectic Compact Cap Recharger

Sisters Expanded Probe Launcher
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer I

Imperial Navy Acolyte x5
Warrior II x5
Hornet EC-300 x5

Sisters Core Scanner Probe x8
Nanite Repair Paste x108
Sisters Combat Scanner Probe x16
Agency ‘Overclocker’ SB5 Dose II x4
Standard Exile Booster x2

For exploration just toss an analyzer on there. Carry a mobile depot so you can switcheroo your fit.

2 Likes

Thanks, lots info here. Any advice on gate camps & escaping bubbles…etc…

If you find your wormholes in quiet highsec systems they’re generally a non issue. Out in lowsec/null they form at choke points. Use the map and use “ships killed in the last hour/day” to gather intel. Use www.zkillboard.com to see what types of ships are dying and if they’re dying on a gate. It’s a good idea to stay put and gain a cursory knowledge of a region. Learn where they typically form.

Gatecamps in lowsec are not an issue because you have a cloak. If you jump into a bubble in null and there are bad guys overheat your prop, cloak, burn back to gate and try to escape.

Try using some bubbles to create traps to gain a better knowledge of them and how they work. When in nullsec warp to celestials near your next gate before warping to the gate so you don’t get caught in a drag bubble.

mwd & cloak trick is your best bet in a bubble camp

I have a lot of experience in the Astero, on both sides of pvp. Take it for what you will.

Here is my typical fit:

Yes, it’s expensive, but the 150m ship you dont lose is cheaper than the 90m ship you do lose. Dual scrams, so you can tackle stabbed explorers, dual reps to provide burst tanking, AB to make you nearly impossible to hit, and always drugs like Exile to give you that edge.

With a mobile depot, it’s easy to refit to an analyzer, but this ship shines in hunting explorers. If you simply want to explore, CovOps do it better.

One often overlooked advantage of the Astero is its agility. You have, at most, a 4 second warp time. This is fast enough to get to warp against most ships long before they can lock you. Anything which can, like bombers, you can easily kill. Dont fit things that hurt its agility. Plates, and even armor resist rigs, are off the table. Consider investing in some inexpensive agility and armor implants if you want to fly it a lot.

And as for gate camps, these little guys are very hard to catch. But if you get a solo sabre, get him to a 500m orbit, and go nuts. You can eat dictors for lunch, since you’re flying a covert combination of an incursus and interceptor. As for bigger stuff, if it has slow tracking, you have a good chance at it. But for dedicated hunting that way, consider swapping a scram for a web.

Fly dangerously, and feel free to convo me if you ever want to.
o7

1 Like

Thanks for the fit and advice. If I could ask one question, from my fledgling knowledge why do you not have a Webifier of some variety.

Also, you use the 1mn AB ll, does this work for the MWD & Cloak maneuver.

Thx for the time

No webifier because it is a fit meant to catch stabbed explorers. As in here (but that one required a faction scram + scram)

An AB because that gives you a chance to gtfo if the fight you got into turns out to be a trap as in here
You are slower than with MWD, but you aren’t scrammed, your sig doesn’t bloom and your agility usually remains OK

You don’t often need to use the mwd+cloak trick in the astero. I see a few situations where it could be useful, such as a sabre bubbling you on WH entry or null, and heading straight at you before you cloak, but those are rare.

Again, good information, lastly, what does a “stabbed” explorer mean

Item: Warp Core Stabilizer I
Description: “When installed this unit attempts to compensate for fluctuations and disruptions of the ship’s warp core.”
Attributes: Warp Scramble Strength -1

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.