My first PVP Experience fitting (Astero)

Hello Eve community,

I have a question and I hope you can help me.
I’m still relatively new to Eve and so far I’ve been exploring first as an alpha clone with a Heron, and then as an alpha clone with an Astero. It worked really well and I have a lot of fun with it. I want to invest some money to get my first PvP experience with an Astero by chasing other explorers in null sec. I thought about the following fitting and wanted to ask what you think of the fitting. Also, I wanted to ask what ships I can hunt with this fitting to avoid accidentally failing on a superior enemy:

Sisters Expanded Probe Launcher, 8x Sisters Combat Scanner Probe
(All other modules will be disabled due to energy/CPU while scanning)
Salvager I

Small Trimark Armor Pump I
Small nanobot Accelerator II
Small Auxilary Nano Pump II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive (More Kiting, less Tanking)
Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400
X5 Enduring Stasis Webifier
Warp Scrambler II

Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Multispectrum Energyzed Membrane II
Reactive Armor Hardener
Small Armor Repairer II

15x Caldari Navy Hornet

Small Secure Container
Noise-5 Needlejack Filament
Home-5 Pochven Filament
Glorification-1 Devana Filament

1 Like

Welcome and may your first pvp experience not cost you more than you can afford to undock with,

Investing is not what is at play here., we don’t invest outside of regional market speculation (which can be exciting)

Investing skill trainning yes, though you would be better placing skill points onto your pilot if you want to reach a level of pvp where you feel it was a fair fight.

I wouldn’t look at investing in ships to undock with. unless you are talking about something else.

For me is Investing in Good Will and to protentually turn into future Roleplay and I am invested into New Eden to learn from great pilots… Extract their skill the same way we extract the skill points.

… needs much capacitor even when not active, needs more power and more CPU than an AB, and you have a much bigger signature radius when active, so cruisers can easily smash your ship. Just as a hint. But it’s quite fast, that’s correct.
Kiting: Your scram needs proximity.

None, every ship can be a bait. You can try Epithals and Herons for a start, but prepare to lose your ship eventually.

Get Omega and thus proper drones and cloak.

Your first PvP experience should be in cheap ships and in a group. You need input and help. My first PvP experience was sitting in front of my screen and helplessly watch my Thorax melt down in Lowsec within seconds.

1 Like

I’d try catching people who aren’t combat fit: you could hunt other explorers, haulers, salvagers. Prospects and Endurances too might be nice to catch if you can, a Venture will be able to ignore your scram and warp off if the pilot is good. They might be bad and panic, so it cannot hurt to try.

Ventures stuck while creating an industrial cyno are easy targets, but no need to get into their warp disrupt range to kill them. Set drones on them and be prepared to warp off before someone undocks and tackles you.

Catching explorers will be hard as Alpha clone, as you cannot sneak up on them cloaked. I personally wouldn’t fly an Astero without cloak, the hull is very expensive for a non-cloaky frigate.

1 Like

If you want to catch other explorers without a cloak, I’d seriously recommend the Heron. It’s cheaper, has more CPU for your combat probes, is more likely to be considered harmless by other explorers (once they see an uncloaked Astero on d-scan, they will immediately warp off) and can still pack a nice punch. It’s a much better learning ship for what you intend to do.

Also onlining all modules after combat probing will be a pain (it uses up 95% of your capacitor power for each module). You need to get to them quickly after probing them down, so it kind of makes the scanning pointless. You should be able to comfortably fit the Heron so you only have to offline one module for the probe launcher.

One extra tip: a sensor booster with a scan resolution script can make a huge difference when trying to catch small ships. That extra second less of locking time can mean you catch somebody who would manage to align out otherwise. It’s completely optional though.

2 Likes

You are right, thank you for that information, ill try that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good hunting!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.