Dunno if you can see my bug report’s text, so I’ll paste it here. God save the forum’s formatting code.
As explained in the thread, the IME you can install in Windows 10 from the Region and Language section in the settings does not work at all in EVE. I have set it such that the language input setting is global across all applications, so I press WinKey+Space and I’m in Japanese mode, even if I Alt+TAB to Firefox or Notepad or whatever.
The language bar in the start menu has an icon for the current input mode, When there’s no text input selected, it shows a little grey cross and the IME is disabled. When in a text input such as Notepad, or the URL bare in Firefox, the grey cross changes to either a hiragana あ, or a romaji A, depending on whether the IME is enabled or disabled respectively.
Everywhere in EVE, it’s a grey cross, so the IME is completely unusable. EVE seems to handle unicode just fine - I can type in Notepad and copy paste it here, chat, ship names, the notepad, etc., but I can’t actually type with it.
Character: Xyfu (1261778055)
Solar System: Emolgranlan (30002548)
- Install Windows 10;
- press Start;
- type “Region &” and press Enter;
- in the middle section on the right, headed “Languages”, click “Add a language”;
- scroll down to and click 日本語;
- click the newly added 日本語 option and click “Options” in the new expando;
- make sure “Microsoft IME” is present in the list headed “Keyboards”;
- close applications at will to satisfy OCD tendencies;
- observe the shiny new language bar in the start menu - it may read “ENG” or have a white “J” in a black circle in a white square - click it and select “Japanse\nMicrosoft IME”;
- open Notepad and observe the language bar’s grey cross has become a romaji A. Click the A to turn it into an あ;
- in Notepad, type “hitsuji” and notice it’s spelt “ひつじ” with an underline;
- press Space and notice that “ひつじ” becomes “羊” (probably);
- launch EVE;
- select any text input.
- The grey cross in the language bar becomes a romaji A;
- switching to kana input works;
- typing Japanese words in EVE has some manner of IME integration - ideally in the text box in which I’m typing but plenty of games suck for this and Windows just has to draw the IME as a popover in the top left.
- The grey cross in the language bar remains grey and cross;
- I am also grey and cross.