Ban Capital Ships from Low Sec - or - How to make Low Sec better (please)

Absolutely it happens.

It’s moreso a function of the nullsov groups coming to play with their chew toys in lowsec (and by chew toys I mean the LS residents). But it’s also pretty common for dudes to drop pocket supers on things like JF that don’t know how to fly their ■■■■ properly.

2 Likes

And the threat of that limits what people are willing to put out because ultimately you may be a badass 10-20 person group of friends but at any time some supercap fleet from null can end your parade because you roflstomped someones alt.

So it not only happens but it serves to deter that small corp action from even occurring.

5 Likes

This right here is definitely the real harm. Anything that stifles activity is problematic, because it ultimately means that given the cost of loss, it’s smarter to just stay docked.

By taking away the bigger toys, nullsov powerblocs will still outnumber the ■■■■ out of the chewtoys, but at least they won’t be able to drop supercaps on them. It won’t solve the problem but it’ll help.

2 Likes

Also, I think, we can’t really know, but I think more small corps from HS would move to lowsec if the meta was battleships not caps.

5 Likes

Considering the lack of warp bubbles, Is it somewhat easy to escape from a Supercapital drop in Low-Sec?

Or is there no real counterplay? I’ve never experienced this- so I don’t actually know the answer.

If your defending your upwell, sure, you can leave…

But :frowning:

2 Likes

Sirens are a thing. Our typical MO when we’re dropping on subs is the carriers fit 2 sirens and 1 dromi, while the supers fit whatever will do the best damage (heavy fighters against battleships, light fighters aganist anything else).

More often than not it’s a baited drop. You’ll trick someone into dropping blops, or dropping a super on something, and then blob the ever living ■■■■ out of them before they have a chance to do anything. They’re already scrammed, so they’re completely ■■■■■■.

Or as salt said, structures can’t run.

Barring titan bridges as well, I certainly agree. Most HS to LS transfers would be the 20-50 player groups that are bored of HS and want more spice. They’re not big enough to contend with established groups however, so that ends up being a hard barrier. Nobody volunteers to be a chewtoy.

1 Like

I am part of a Caldari FW corp based in blackrise and we have a few members that love to fly battleships.
If we come out in anything cruiser or higher it doesn’t usually take long before we get dropped on.

Usually starting with a similar sizes fleet taking the fight then a few seconds in lighting a cyno and income the capitals and we get torn apart.

Smallest group of capitals we had on us was a Moros, Thanatos and a Force Auxiliary but cant remember which one.

1 Like

I bet you only ever played Doom on “I’m too young to die”

I played only first map and I am not sure I even finished it. I didn’t play Half-Life either.

I was never fan of 1st person shooters until Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004.

Now, lynch me!

How many ships have you lost to Caps.
I don’t think caps are a problem really and it seems like most people (not meaning you I3rooks) that post about banning caps or what should happen to null have never been out of high sec.

@Ellison_Onizuka
Personally not as many as I prefer flying smaller ships.
But a member lost three Hyperions in a day all to capital drops. Now he is only flying assault frigates and occasionally t1/faction.
Seemed relevant to mention as the discussion went onto battleships not being used much anymore and I can see why first hand, capital drops make them redundent fast.
I would like battleships to be something strong and slow that lands of grid and you’re like “oh ■■■■”, but right now its like, “well he’ll be dead in a few minutes”.

If capitals weapons were disabled in lowsec (so they could still navigate) I think this would improve the mix of ships we would encounter in lowsec as groups like mine could start roaming and taking fights without worrying about the capital backup that is right now always there.

1 Like

Crossposting a copypaste here from give love to battleships:

• Give BS’s lowsec to play with by keeping Titans and supercarriers exclusively to 0-sec;
  • Remove cynowarping for anything except the black/cov ops ship-lines and jumpfreighters. This means the supers can still jump (to celestials, structures, fleetmates and…?), but their smaller non-super-ship support fleets will have to travel gate to gate and might run into some battleship trouble along their way of teaming up with their jumpdrived supers again.
  • Speed up the warpspeed of BS’s
  • Together with the ideas of @Xuixien of adding dual weapon systems so they can actually become real “Ships of the Line” in holding the battlefield against a wider variety of shipclasses;
  • and further many of the suggestions already made here.

I don’t think battleships need a warp speed boost. O think the warp speeds are good as they are right now and small ships should be able to outpace a battleship which in my mind suits the slow chunky tank. Can be fit with warp speed modules and rigs though.

1 Like

the best way to get these bad boys back in use is to increase there hit points.

and maybe cargo capacity too, more cap boosters or nanite paste :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think caps are fine in LowSec but supers should be restricted to NullSec.

1 Like

What does that functionally change though?

Quadruple their EHP, and tell me what is actually different. They still won’t be able to apply to smaller ships, they’ll still be bombed into oblivion (it’ll just take more bombs), they’ll still be waterboarded. Smaller ships will take longer to kill them, but they’ll still kill them just fine.

Meanwhile, if you ignore the actual tactical aspects, ask your corp mates if they want to go on a roam with battleships. A few might agree for the novelty.

You’ll spend twice as long transiting through your roaming route.

In that time, I can promise you’ll catch less stuff with battleships, because the word will get out a lot faster than you will. In that time, the residents of the space you’re roaming will have plenty of time to come up with a multitude of different hard counters, that more EHP will simply not fix. They aren’t going to bring something and trade shots with you where your buffer will help you out-last them, they’re going to bring something that you can’t hit for ■■■■, or they’ll bring something that dumps out so much more pain that you can’t trade with them.

At the end of the day, the problem is that a battleship is 100% subject to literally any fight that someone wants to subject it to. Cruisers can run, destroyers can run, hell even battlecruisers can run most of the time. Battleships are invariably a 1-way roam the very second you come across a competent enemy FC.

Remove local lol

1 Like

Have Cap drops been an issue since the cyno changes? It might be too soon to tell, but I’d be curious.