Beginner questions!

Looks interesting, but what do you use the information for? Wormhole Bookmarks? You can’t finish sites (data, relic, combat) with your ship, or do you have 2 light monster drones in hold? :wink:

Yes I forgot, 2 light drones for defense from rat that pop in from time to time when mining. The drones won’t be strong enough for anything much bigger than high security rats.

I use the probe launcher for wormholes. If you go into a wormhole, almost everything has to be scanned down.

I mainly use the probe launcher while I’m mining and a anomaly pops up. I can scan it down without having to warp out and swap ships if it’s a site I don’t feel like messing with. I’m an alpha, if I can’t scan it down, then it’s very likely too much for me to start with.

OK guys, thanks a ton! I think it’s down to either ratting or mining. Ratting may be more fun for me, since it sounds like more interaction. So far, I have been doing the Military agent missions, but I’ve really just started.

What are bookmarks, and how do they save you?

Are miners much more likely to get ganked than ratters?

Is mining a very laid-back and relaxing playstyle, or do you have to keep so vigilant that you can’t relax?

Thanks again!

What are bookmarks, and how do they save you?

Bookmarks are position informations in space which you can use for navigation. E.g. to find a wormhole (wh) you scanned down the other day, to find a site that you finished but want to return to for salvaging and looting or to set a safe spot in a system. You find them in the section “People & Places” on the left side (“NeoCom”) and can easily set them by pressing ctrl + b for the place you are right at this moment.

Are miners much more likely to get ganked than ratters?

Yes, because they don’t move and don’t shoot. But there are other parameters like which system you’re in, what time of day/week and so on. You’re never safe, but you should not be too afraid. Even if you lose a venture every 20 mining runs (which would be quite often) you would’ve earned enough for dozens of new ventures. But you learn to read the signs.

Is mining a very laid-back and relaxing playstyle, or do you have to keep so vigilant that you can’t relax?

Ask different miners and you will get different answers. You can relax (some say it’s boring), but if you leave the keyboard, you may lose your ship because you can’t react quickly. If you are cool about that, mining can be very relaxing, doing the laundry or watching tv parallely is quite popular. Some do ship fitting or skill queue plans, others market research, and keep an ear for rats or strangers popping in. And some try to find out to mine which asteroids in which order for an optimal result. Remember it’s a game with the aim to have fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s true, I forgot ships warping in make a very distinct sound. Listen for it when mining or relaxing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.