New player; some questions

Hey all. i am a new player and have some questions.
-i am playing for 2 weeks now. i don’t spend too much time, and recently cleared the missions from the starting station. how can i find some locations that are good to continue missioning? I can’t randomly roam the map, it’s huge.

-when’s a good time to start learning PvP? say, when i have 7-10 spare ships to lose?

-when’s a good time to think about joining a corporation? should i wait until i have figured out the activities i wanna focus on in game?

-how do you haul ships from location to location? i think even industrial ships’ cargo cannot fit more than 1-2…

1 Like

hi welcome to EVE

there is no good time for … in eve as i know

i joined a corp after a while … you will find out new things todo every week or want to try new stuff often (or is it only me?)
so when ever you think about a corp you can and i think you should do that … usually all your questions can be answerd in a corp easy
if you join a corp as a new player they all know your interrests will change so they are ok with that or you find a other corp

learn pvp … i am 1 and a half year in eve … not very long … i started with pvp when i started to join corp guys who do pvp … so … i think thats the way … a good time for start pvp is when you can buy a new ship easy because you will need to buy new ships … join corp members on roams or gate camps … learn … have fun

how to haul ships and stuff from station to station … yea with bigger ships … a Bowhead can haul ships … its about 1.4 billion isk and you need a ton of skils … a frighter can haul a ton of stuff and you need a ton of other skills … so i guess you fly your ships from station to station … thats working

i would say so: after the start system … find carrier agents and start doing missions for them … you get ships … isk and you learn
i would not wait very long for joining a corp … if you wish you can send me a message ingame and we can talk about joining the corp i am in but thats up to you … its not recruting here … there are so many corps looking for players … there are so many good corps in eve you can join and i am sure you will change corp if you feel its not the place you are looking for …

the most importand stuff is: have a look that your skill queue is allways running!!

JuuR

1 Like

Hello and welcome to Eve,

Starting off it’s good to complete all 5 Career Agents first before heading out into the Eve Universe. They give a good jumpstart into Eve with basic information about some of the various career paths available along with ships, equipment, skills, etc.

Usually the next step is to do the level 1 Sisters Of Eve Epic Arc. That will give you time to train up the Core Fitting Skills and make some ISK while deciding on a career path.

After that if you decide to continue running missions, you can find more available Agents with the in-game Agent Finder.

JuuR Zibaoo did a good job explaining about PvP and joining corps. This thread in the old forums contains more info about joining player corps.

Hauling ships from one location to another - just fly one ship to your next location, dock in station and exit your ship, then undock in your pod and dock in another station within the same system to get a free Rookie ‘Corvette’ ship and use that to fly back to your other ships.

Or you can just fly back to your other ships in your pod but that’s not a good habit to form, especially later when your character is more developed and has Implants installed. The best way to go back to your ships is just use a shuttle bought from market.

For early missions you usually won’t need anything else than your Combat Frigate. I suggest only move your other ships when it’s absolutely necessary or after you’ve established a specific base of operations. Most players will tell you that after a while you’ll have ships and equipment located in multiple stations throughout the Eve Universe.

Good luck and may you have a long rewarding career here in Eve.

DMC

2 Likes

As most of this has been explained, only 2 things, 1: Get into pvp asap! Its what keeps many people playing!

As for hauling ships, be sure you are hauling them REPACKAGED, they are much smaller this way. On my alpha account I use an expanded Tayra hauler and I can get about 30,000 m3 on it. This allows me to haul 12 frigate hulls (2,500 each), or 6 destroyer hulls (5000 each), or 3 cruiser hulls (10,000 each), and i usually have an extra 1000 m3 for adding fitting modules and stuff. Basically just get the larger hauler of what race you want (One hauler, in this case for caldari the badger, will be lower cargo but tankier, and the other will be higher cargo and slower/weaker). Beware of gankers if you drag around anything expensive!

1 Like

The only issue with repackaging ships for hauling is that it destroys all rigs fit on those ships.

1 Like

True, so ideally you would move the ships before you ever fit them.

1 Like

It’s probably been said already, but:

1. There are ships for sale everywhere, not just at the major trade hubs. Sell your ship, fly over with just the fittings, and re-buy your ships close to the destination.

2. Fly the ships one by one, and then exit each ship and fly a shuttle back.

3. A T1 industrial can carry a few frigates. Otherwise you need a freighter for packaged ships, and a Bowhead with ship hangar bays for unpackaged ships.

1 Like

so, got my first (well, second, but didnt wanna fly it before i got another) destroyer today. wise choice, the SoE mission arc is slowly getting tougher.

any advice on what artillery ammo i should use?

1 Like

Guess it depends on your ship fit, mainly defense and prop.

If it’s kinda weak then go with the long range artillery ammo and keep that range from the rat pack.

If it has a pretty good defense and excellent speed, then use the short range artillery ammo.

Long range ammo does less DPS
Short range ammo does more DPS

after some thought I decided my next step: while it won’t be dedicated PvP yet, starting yesterday I grabbed some ships and moved my clone to a place right beside Lowsec, and started ratting in Lowsec. Some observations and questions:

-I saw rats here have bigger bounties.Nice. besides warping to asteroid belts, what are other ways to find them? I found some spots with lots of them (i.e. “rat Den/Yard” etc) but hard to solo with a frigate due to numbers, unlike their roamer battlecruisers who i can speedtank. should i risk a destroyer for these places, or are they harder?

-Exposure therapy about getting attacked was fun (lots of times reading the warning message for nullsec, seeing other players ships knowing i had to be careful, etc), but what about offense? i saw a venture at some point, if i attacked it, does Concord actualy never arrive in like 0.2 space, or they just arrive later?

-At some point i saw a yellow cargo container. and tried to open it (knowing full well i may get attacked after, its ok). for some reason i couldn’t loot the contents. I saw them but couldnt transfer to my ship. how so?

-Do security missions here give higher base rewards, so i can stack them with rat bounties, or they still give lower ones, hence not worth the constant travel time imho, just stick to finding big-bounty rats?

1 Like

Sites like Den and Yard are Cosmic Anomalies, small combat sites with a lot more NPC’s compared to Asteroid Belts. I would say definitely use a ship with more firepower, it will be quicker to clear the sites thus lowering your chance of being exposed to PvP players.

-Exposure therapy about getting attacked was fun (lots of times reading the warning message for nullsec, seeing other players ships knowing i had to be careful, etc), but what about offense? i saw a venture at some point, if i attacked it, does Concord actualy never arrive in like 0.2 space, or they just arrive later?

No Concord action in Low Sec space, however you will receive a Security Status hit and if the player is a member in NPC Corp, you’ll also get a Standings hit.

-At some point i saw a yellow cargo container. and tried to open it (knowing full well i may get attacked after, its ok). for some reason i couldn’t loot the contents. I saw them but couldnt transfer to my ship. how so?

Your onboard safety settings are probably still on default setting - ‘Enable Safety’ (green color), which prevents you from accidentally doing stuff that flag you as suspect or criminal.

-Do security missions here give higher base rewards, so i can stack them with rat bounties, or they still give lower ones, hence not worth the constant travel time imho, just stick to finding big-bounty rats?

Yes, mission rewards are higher in low security space.
Agent location = A difference of 0.1 in system security level from 1.0 down to 0.0 gives a 10% increase in mission rewards.
Negotiation skill will also increase mission rewards by 5% for each level trained.