Best current instructions for installing 64-bit Eve on Mint 19.1/Cinnamon?

What is the current best set of instructions for installing the new 64-bit Eve client on a completely fresh install of Mint 19.1 with cinnamon ?

It did get a little janky lately; but it is actually quite smooth. I did this twice just a couple weeks ago and took notes…but then lost the notes.

From the release notes of 19.1; use
apt install --install-recommends wine-installer

I think it really is easy now. Just try running the windows installer and see what happens.

If any troubles arise; then winecfg and pick win7, install ms-corefonts, etc. I ~think~ this is relatively unnecessary with the metapackage wine-installer. I may or may not have done it manually first; then figured it out with the new metapackage method. So I ~think~ no PPAs required, no Winetricks or anything really necessary.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll give it a try - might even take some notes :slight_smile:

Got those notes? I think im going to install 19.2 today and its been a while since I got eve running in linux. I was using the launcher and it broke for a minute but I was playing in Windows… Anyway…

The last time i tried it it seemed the best methodology was install Mint, install nvidia drivers, install wine, and finally the linux launcher. Then run all the winetricks fonts and dll replacements. It looks like i dont need that stuff?

So …Mint -->Nividia Drivers -->Wine -->Windows Eve client?
or Mint -->Nividia Drivers -->Wine -->Linux eve client?
or simply Mint -->Nividia Drivers -->Linux Eve Client?
I may want wine for other software, and I could never get the linux client to work unless i installed wine myself.

I didn’t need any notes in the end - starting from a fresh install of 19.2, I just followed the instructions in the UniWiki ([https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Installing_EVE_on_Linux]) and it all worked fine first time.

1 Like

Updated my notes…

== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd00001C03sv00001462sd00003283bc03sc00i00
vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
model : GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB]
driver : nvidia-driver-390 - distro non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-430 - distro non-free recommended
driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

change driver number accordingly if you use a different one.

Next I Ran the launcher as per the instructions on eveuniversity wiki
then ran the instructions to install wine from here: https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-wine-4-on-ubuntu-18-04-linux-mint-19/

I found that by installing the 32 bit support AND the openGL drivers the NVidia drivers work great.
It seems to be required to get steam to work correctly in Mint also, so if you’ve already installed steam and got it working that wouldn’t be necessary. At least I couldn’t get either to work without it, and there were quite a lot of forum threads about it.

hi i have linux mint18 32 bit running on this pentium 4 laptop, and id REALLY like to run eve online on it, i know shes old, but if i put all the graphics down, she’ll hold her own… but my knowledge in linux is very limited… eve used to run on another laptop, alot slower than a pentium 4… but all of a sudden, linux wont run eve online anymore :(…please help… as simply as possible. or give me another solution…

Is it the launcher that won’t run, or the client ? If it’s the client, have you switched the launcher settings to default to the 32-bit client ?

yes it is

the launcher doesnt start

i tried running the client directly, but nothing :frowning:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.