Install Guide - Mint 20

1. Install Mint 20; update system. I use Mate desktop.
  2. Ensure video driver is functional from driver manager (tested w/ Nvidia 1060 and 440.100 driver, as well as AMD RX590 that doesn’t need proprietary driver)
  3. Install dxvk from software center. (wow does it bring a lot of dependancies)
    *tested without dxvk and had stuttery sound on one machine…so meh.
  4. Install steam from software manager.
  5. Install eve from steam.
    (View > Settings > Steam Play > Enable Steam Play for all other titles)
  6. Set launcher to download everything, and turn on hardware rendering (significantly reduces cpu load of launcher itself).
  7. In game, turn all the graphics options all the way up including anti-aliasing, then contract all your belongings to me because you want to start fresh and new.

*no ssl issues
*no qt issues
*desktop icon is automatic
*If your distro is different; you might have to add your applicable mesa-vulkan drivers to get good framerates
*would ~probably~ work with just plain wine 5 if you really dislike steam for some reason

4 Likes

Thanks

Ok I got eve installed with Mint 20 But under steam to try to add eve from steam it just says only available for windows and Mac. Gives no option to install under Mint 20. I can get the launcher to run using the terminal but would rather be able to use a desktop short cut.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Installing_EVE_on_Linux, Followed this and the basic part works and loads the launcher but to get a short cut not so much.

I’m getting this error.

QObject::startTimer: Timers can only be used with threads started with QThread
/home/anomoly40/evelauncher/./evelauncher: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLX_mesa.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_dri3_get_supported_modifiers

Ok for steam to run “non-certified” windows games on linux/mac one must do:
View > Settings > Steam Play > Enable Steam Play for all other titles

This just allows steam/proton (wine+dxvk) to take on whatever game. Usually pretty good results the last few years. I actually have a couple that work better on steam play than they do in the ‘native’ linux port.

*Edited OP to include steam settings info

@Jerome_Glidewell sounds like something derped with mesa. It appeared on both my test machines on original launch version of mint 20 that somewhat current mesa/vulkan libs were brought in automatically.

Please post back with hints if you get it figured out.

I backed up essential files (dumb memes I made) on my NAS and did a fresh install. I also upgraded to a SSD since Amazon had it really cheap. It’s an old Acer laptop with an i3 (she gets hottt) but I can play it with low settings using the above mentioned Proton. This just tells me I need to upgrade to another laptop.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.