Help Installing EVE on Ubuntu 18.04

I cant get PlayOnLInux to do right on KDE it or Gnome based Ubuntu. I am not Linux guru just appreciate the core values of the FOSS community. I am gonna go back to Windows cause gaming should not be this hard outside of the game.

Iā€™m a bit confused. Why even post?

Install 32bit version of current wine-development from winehq.

ensure you didnā€™t screw that up; force a 32bit wine prefix.

Run winecfg and set WinXP mode.

Install windows version of eve; Maybe run in dx9 for your hardware.

How do you do that? I canā€™t go back to WIndows cause my recovery disc is damaged.

I just followed the instructions at https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Installing_EVE_on_Linux . I didnā€™t actually understand half of them, but it worked OK for me. Iā€™m on Mint 17.3, but thatā€™s derived from Ubuntu anyway, so you should be OK.

Easy mode Linux

Sorry to hear about the recovery discā€¦and Iā€™m guessing the recovery partition got blown away by the original Ubuntu install.

Many others including (Dravick, Morgana, and myself) have gotten eve to work using the slightly dated Linux Launcher Snorlax made that everybody is talking about and is so well documented on the eve university post. Searching google for ā€œeve online linuxā€ indeed leads you to the posting. It also then recommends people to come here and ask questionsā€¦which is niceā€¦but the unfortunate part is that it is all a little dated and only covers Ubuntu (and works on a few derivatives).

Gharim Turen has been doing a lot of home grown maintenance work to force the non-intuitive things to work. While I generally warn people away from random dudes providing scriptsā€¦lets face it the entire ecosystem is random dudes making scripts.

100% reproducible steps for all linux varients is neigh impossible due to package manager differences, as well as package name differences.

Iā€™ve been doing a lot of distribution experimentation over the last few months. Hands down, plain wine and plain windows client is easier, and works on ~most~ distributions. Any that didnā€™t work were most likely my own stupidity.

https://wiki.winehq.org/Download is the source of all wine. Many times the distributions want to drag things out a bit and gain a lot of stability by standardizing on a particular version of wine for months or years on end. You mileage may vary using normal distribution provided wine. If you pull open your package manager and donā€™t see something with a 3.0 or better version, you probably want to pull directly from WineHQ via whatever repository will match your distribution. They have instructions on WineHQ for this for most major distributions; including slight command edits for versions of Mint and others based on Ubuntu.

Ubuntu specifically handles multiarch somewhat badly and frequently wants to run 64bit and muck up a 32bit eve executable. This page has instructions for ensuring you use a 32bit wine prefix. As this is a wine based command, it will most likely also work on every other distribution that may or may not pick the right setup by default.

After wine is installed, prefix set; run the command:
winecfg
Then make sure XP is setā€¦after initial setup Iā€™ve found things to work swimmingly well on several fake O/S optionsā€¦but XP seems to always work still.

If your framerate is jacked, one will need to follow instructions to get the binary video drivers that apply to you. Ubuntu derivatives seem to have a nice ā€˜Driver Managerā€™ (command: driver-manager). While not necessarily bleeding edgeā€¦usually quite a bit better than software rendering or vanilla opensource (though the full opensource drivers arenā€™t bad at all now).

In the past Iā€™ve used Winetricks quite a bit to fill in some of the blanks like mono, gecko, and corefonts. Many distributions have this in the repositories. Iā€™ve found this necessary when using Snorlaxā€™s linux launcher, but not with standard wine and windows install.

The Snorlax linux launcher also doesnā€™t package all the dependencies (like the fonts above) for ssl. Most the world has moved onto ssl 1.2.x but the launcher needs a modified older 1.1.x version which is what has been causing 95% of the problems in the last year or so. These package names are not universal between distributions, and appear to have some wizardry involvedā€¦as there are about 30 different posts of various incantations performed to make it go. This is the biggest reason it is easier to use the plain windows installer on plain wine. Plain wine also gets you dx11 that worksā€¦but visuals just arenā€™t as big a reason as ~works~.

Just in the last 6 weeks Iā€™ve gotten Plain Ubuntu (gnome), Mint (Mate), Siduction, Debian, Antergos, Solus, and SparkyLinux working. I hated myself and could not accomplish the task on Arch, Kali, Manjaro, or Porteus. I attribute most of the failures to my feebleness. Iā€™m afraid I didnā€™t keep solid records of which ones worked with Snorlax/eveuniversityguide method versus plain wine/windowsclient. I can definitely state that I wound up using the plain wine because the first effort didnā€™t work very reliably.

hashCode I hope you figure it out. 6 years ago Linux wasnā€™t quite as strong a platform for games. I havenā€™t booted windows at home for about 4 years now. Between eve working reliably with good framerates, 0AD, and steamā€¦Iā€™m good to go.

2 Likes

Thanks for putting in all this effort. Iā€™ve been working with UNIX/Linux systems since the early 90s. The moment the development on the Linux launcher stopped did I already know how this is going to end, but you cannot teach this to people who never stop trying. They have to make their own experience. So in parts do I hate to see people trying to keep the Linux launcher alive, because it puts newcomers onto the wrong track (it causes them extra effort and frustration), but I also love their tenacity in how they keep trying to make it work.

If only they had made the Linux launcher open source then we wouldnā€™t have this problem.

However, Iā€™ve been working with ESI lately and with SSO and learned how to create tokens and how to refresh them. It appears as if the launcher is using the same authentication method. Perhaps we can make our own Linux launcher. From what Iā€™ve seen does the exefile.exe need a /ssoToken= argument, and it looks just like an OAuth2 bearer token.

I am also having trouble installing EVE on Ubuntu 18.04. I tried following the directions on the wiki https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Installing_EVE_on_Linux, but I am probably having problems with the Incompatible OpenSSL library section.

When I run ./evelauncher, nothing happens. No messages in terminal or launcher appearing. I tried ā€œsudo apt-get install libssl1.0.0ā€ but it says ā€œlibssl1.0.0 is already the newest version (1.0.2n-1ubuntu5.1).ā€ I checked my ā€œ/lib/x86_64-linux-gnuā€ folder but I donā€™t have libssl* or libcrypto*, just libcrypt.so.1 and libss.so.2 and libss.so.2.0.
Are they the same libraries? How should I fix this problem?

Maybe you have a look at this entry in EVE Installing - #15 by Gharim_Turen or this post EVE Installing - #18 by Gharim_Turen. In case that it is to much effort just install wine and the windows-version from eve launcher.

For Ubuntu 18.04 i have used this package EVE Installing - #39 by Gharim_Turen.

There are two ways to do it. One is to use the native Windows launcher, which comes with the EVE client. This didnā€™t work in the past, but as of WINE 3.0 is this no longer a problem and one can install the EVE client under Linux using WINE just as one would do under Windows.

Because this didnā€™t work for a while did a CCP dev write a launcher specifically for Linux.

The problem you have is with the Linux specific launcher, because it requires some outdated libraries. Gharim here has been working on keeping the Linux launcher alive. However, when you donā€™t care either way can you try to go with the standard Windows launcher instead.

To install EVE with WINE 3.0+ do you need to set WINE with winecfg into ā€œWindows XPā€ mode first. Then you may need dotnet40 and have to install it with winetricks. The later step seems to be necessary only for Ubuntu 18.04. Debian i.e. doesnā€™t need it (my guess is it has something to do with the recent changes to WINE Mono). Anyhow, my recommended method is to go straight with the standard Windows launcher and the latest WINE version. Then you will need little else to get it running and donā€™t need to bother with foreign installers or outdated libraries.

1 Like

Ah youā€™re up :slight_smile: . The dotnet40 package are not needed if you install corefonts. The Windows Launcher crashes only if he canā€™t find his fonts and are not in Windows XP-Mode.

I would like to first Thank You Gharim for all the hard work in bringing Eve Launcher to Linuxā€¦ With that said, am I understanding this correctly that the Eve Launcher for Linux will no longer be supported, I have held of from upgrading my system to the 18.04 LTS as long as I can. I am just wondering if this is still something on your list of things to do or notā€¦ thank you for your time o7

Thanks for your post, but i have not brought the launcher to linux, this was @CCP_Snorlax and btw, the linux launcher is NOT officially supported from CCP and never was. He has build for his linux version a special wine version which is in the meantime outdated.

This was one reason why i have written some scripts to use an up-to-date wine version with his launcher. Another reason was, that he not offer any installer or packages, only an archive with the launcher binary himself, so that the user must do the rest alone to install it and merge it in his desktop environment. But in the meantime exists other possibilities to run EVE on linux not only the linux launcher, using the windows version from the launcher or Steam Play not to forget POL or Lutrix. For myself, i prefer the linux launcher and will stay on it as long he exist.

My wishes for an actualized linux launcher from @CCP_Snorlax are removing the outdated wine versions from the launcher and set distribution or WineHQ wine installations as default. If you not have the time to build an installer, please integrate some setup routine, which create desktop launcher in users XDG_DATA_DIR, so he has an launcher in his DE and must not create it for himself. If you want, use my stuff for this as a template or so.

Steam Proton is the one method we should be looking out for in particular, since it has all the parts desirable for best performance and visuals in an all-in-one solution.

Iā€™ve been building my own kernel, wine and dxvk, and installed the latest Nvidia drivers directly just to have them as fresh as possible, but Iā€™m tempted to give it up for Proton if it can deliver on its promise.

Thats wat i mean with Steam Play before. But i have problems with that, which i have described in another thread, so i stay by linux launcher, he work atm flawless on my installations.
But you are right, Steam Proton is very promising. The only disadvantage is the binding to Steam itself.

UPDATE: I have successfully installed the EVE Launcher on Ubuntu 18.04. i did a guided tutorial on how to get every thing working correctly on Linux for any one who would like to do so here is a link to it https://linuxpropaganda.wordpress.com/2018/09/21/install-eve-online-in-xubuntu-18-04/#more-1494

P.S. sorry for my confusion Gharim Turenā€¦

MIsft has a good grip on CCP with its patent tech. Steamā€™s forging ahead with Vulcan is a preemptive strike against the potential domination of a jailhouse MIsft Store.

CCP is batting on a sticky wicket.
The Houndā€™s pragmatism is sound; dump the linux launcher project and ally with Steam.

A tentatively supported evelauncher is point of weakness unless it is opened up to all of the linux communityā€™s strengths.

Iā€™ve not been able to successfully run the client since Onslaught, through any of the methods mentioned in recent linux threads. The log is entirely unhelpful ending with: ā€œProcess 4746 finished with exit code 1ā€

Iā€™ll post the context if requested, but, there a few other tempting time killing options available on Steam these days.
It takes more determination than I have these days to activate warp.

Scrubbed the previous install and downloaded from scratch entirely in wine. It seems eve launcher was an entirely unnecessary distraction.

eat my warp plasma

2 Likes

Yes, today you donā€™t really need to mess with the Linux-native client when you donā€™t want to.

It was however a necessity in the past prior to WINE 3.x and itā€™s now being carried on as an alternative. What happened in the past was that with the introduction of the launcher one could no longer login with the game client itself. And because the launcher itself didnā€™t run under WINE did one dev develop unofficially a Linux-native version of the launcher.

Today weā€™re at WINE 3.20, which has fixed the last of the issues with EVE Online (no more ā€œWindows XPā€-mode required as of 3.20) and depending on your distro can the game run out-of-the-box without any work-arounds or winetricks.

As soon as Steam Proton is based on a newer WINE version such as 3.20 will we likely see EVE Online getting whitelisted for Steam on Linux, which means you can install EVE directly from Steam including DXVK for faster DirectX11 rendering, all out-of-the-box.