EVE Installing

It’s the same as with the crypto libs before. In Debian and other Distributions are the missing
translation file packed in qttranslations (packet names may vary) but the path are always the same: /usr/share/qt5/translations. Not in Ubuntu, the qttranslations package missing the searched translations qtwebengine_en.qm which are a place holder for all other localizations.
The warning at start can be ignored its just a warning.

I have build a new version which adresses the problems with qt5 translations and different
locations to be search for the crypto libs depended on used distributions.

http://pasq.org/gharim/evesetup_2018-04-27.tar.gz

or

http://pasq.org/gharim/evesetup-dev_2018-04-27.tar.gz

evesetup will give you advice, which settings you can save before you made a new install.

I have my setup-script now tested on a shiny, new installation of Ubuntu 18.04. After installing of required proprietary drivers for my nvidia graphic card it works without problems. But Evelauncher looks ugly in this environment and have no dock icon which better fit in there. I will have a look on this maybe i find a solution. Does someone need desktop launchers for the eve tool scripts which the setup has created? Let me know, if thats the case.

Next build is incoming this time build on a Ubuntu system. :slight_smile:
You it downloaded from

http://pasq.org/gharim/evesetup_2018-04-29.tar.gz

or

http://pasq.org/gharim/evesetup-dev_2018-04-29.tar.gz

Don’t forget to read the Readme.txt. Maybe i should say, it is
a shellscript which means, open a terminal and do the job there.

After a bit google fu i find a solution for the ugly icon problem. The magic word
was StartupWMClass in the desktop launcher file from EVE Online Launcher.
Updated archives are uploaded the adresses have not changed.

I have my site updated with some screenshots and download links to the archives and installers :

http://pasq.org/gharim

1 Like

Another update from my used scripts and a wall of text on my website where i explain, why i’m doing this and what the script are does.

Found a glitch where evelauncher hangs when wine versions have changed. The best way to avoid it is no more using the internal wine versions, only the version which come with the distribution or direct from WineHQ . Developer Script are updated, please have a look.

I have it now tested on a Kubuntu 18.04 standard installation. Same as usual, installing proprietary drivers for my graphics card, wine-devel and winetricks. But this time with kdialog instead of zenity which btw are recommended not a dependency for winetricks as i expected. I can not recommend KDE for such things like play some games with wine, i prefer slim desktop environments like XFCE or MATE for that, but its only my opinion.

Developer script revised for more POSIX Kompatibililty and some bashisms removed.

I have now build an AUR package from my scripts, ready for installing or, if you wish, to build for yourself an AUR source package. Please be kind, this are my first steps with AUR and package building there. :slight_smile:

Last post i was a bit confused about the filenames of the archives, now fixed. Found on AUR an alternative concept to install evelauncher was maybe are in conflict with my solution, so i have it added as conflict package.

AUR Installer Package
AUR Source Package
Checksums

Aleksandr uses the QT libraries from the repository for the launcher which are maybe not full compatible with the launcher. It may work or not, in my case i have with his solution some error messages on start which i have not, when i use the libraries which are delivered with evelauncher. So you decide, which solution you prefer. :wink:

1 Like

Finally i have build a distribution independed installer with makeself. It works on Debian Testing and need root permissions or sudo for installing and removing. For removing just call as root or sudo the installer again and he will remove the installation. Your settings in your home directory will be not deleted.

Installer Package (Right Click “Save as…”).

A little Update for the Installer Package, fixing some permission issues from the icons.
Download link in the posting before has not changed.

This worked for me on Pop_OS! 18.04 which is a heavily themed version of Ubuntu Gnome 18.04. I had issues with it on KUbuntu 18.04 launcher would immediately close out after opening.

@Gharim_Turen you are my hero and if you need a Patreon to keep up the good work and keep us Linux users in the fight let me know. We need more Linux guides so people can use their distro/desktop of choice.

@Gharim_Turen You are my ■■■■■■■ hero. @CCP_Falcon @CCP_Snorlax

OMG thank you so much!! Your launcher works like a charm and I can log on again. I cannot thank you enough for this!!!

Thanks for your replies but i have only build an installer which mades something easier to install EVE on Linux. :slight_smile: This where all not possible without the good work from @CCP_Snorlax

1 Like

Did you have installing difficulties with my installer package or with the original launcher package on Kubuntu 18.04?

Website updated with an How to for the installer packages.

1 Like

Yes the launcher would immediately crash after starting