Botsoffline.com - an attempt to fight ratting bots

Keep in mind that any algorithm approach can and likely will be defeated, so you’ll have to keep updating the algorithm.

Hello Detective Bennington,

I am the operator of this fleet of characters. They are all my alts and I did create them all at the same time. They are part of my ice mining fleet.

I’m not sure if by “convo” you mean sending a mail, because right now all of those characters are set to block unknown characters from mailing them. I get annoyed when random Highsec corporations mass recruitment email all of my characters so I put a stop to it.

If you had bothered to check each of my character’s biographies you would have noticed I left specific instructions to, and I quote, “Please direct all inquiries to KMCFleet Commander.” KMCFleet Commander is usually the character I am watching aside from KMCFleet Bumper. Most of my other characters are minimized to my task bar while I am mining (aside from when I need to target a new asteroid, move ice around, etc.).

I will say that the other day you did request an actual conversation from me on KMCFleet Commander. When I accepted the conversation you said “Sorry wrong chat” and immediately closed it.

Might I suggest in the future making an attempt to communicate such as, oh I don’t know, using local chat. I do typically watch local as any sensible person in this game running this many mining accounts should do.

Sincerely,

KMCFleet Commander

Yet everyone can spot the botters with trivial ease…

1 Like

Solid :smiley:

Just because the accused botter show up on forum with some bs post that “i am just multboxing” doesn’t mean crap.

I did not take a look at this particular example. I do not claim that this guy is or is not a bot. (Given the nature of ice mining - if this is ice fleet it is unlikely botted unless it uses the best software I’ve heard only about classic belt bots so far)

But when I see the same 10 characters mining in same sector every day, in any hour and none of them is reachable via classic invite to conversation and I see them there for 2 weeks already and they behave as bot (behavior matches known mining bot pattern ie. changing belt after each undock) then they are bots and if the person behind them comes here and tell me he is not botting its just load of craps.

To the KMCFleet Commander
I suggest to unblock the convo again. It is known that the botting software needs to have it blocked for purpose of running - convo screen showing up in client causes the bot to fail to operate. If you block the convo you are going to be suspicious and might end up getting reported via ingame button and accused on forums. If you are trully not botting just turn it on again and manually reject the invitations after some while. That will make end of this.

Translation: I don’t know what I am talking about.

Translation: I love false positives.

1 Like

No I don’t think I’m going to re-enable EVE Mail contacts so I can enjoy being spammed by people who have no business being CEO or recruiter for a corporation. I’ve left instructions in my biograpies in the event somebody wants to make contact with me and as mentioned before you have local chat at your disposal. If you don’t even bother to try communicating normally with someone then what kind of a “bot hunter” are you?

I’m also not afraid of being reported (I probably have been multiple times already), because I’m not botting; just multi-boxing. A lot of players (especially in Highsec) seem to have a fairly weak grasp on EVE Online’s rules, so I imagine there are quite a few false reports being handled on any given day. I have been reported for simply having 11 accounts running at the same time for instance because the person believed running multiple accounts is a bannable offense. Last time I checked it wasn’t. I also imagine there are quite a few malicious reports out there due to jealousy, etc.

It’s not my problem that these players are incorrect and it’s not my responsibility to alter my play style to accommodate their paranoia. Although CCP will unfortunately have to deal with false reports against me when their time could better be spent looking into legitimate cases of rule-breaking.

As an aside I didn’t realize rumor mongering is now allowed on the forums. Last I checked it wasn’t.

1 Like

Not a very good one.

Chat 'em up in local. Also grab a cheep ship and go bump and shoot one of them and see how they respond. Maybe you come away with some confirmation either way whether or not they are human controlled…

If they loot and salvage your wreck, they’re likely live.

–Opportunist Gadget

2 Likes

I stopped the website because it didn’t get enough traction. Love to see the discussion here though :slight_smile:

Was a good try, but I think there is relatively little we can do as players.
We are at best, just an annoyance to botters.

It needs to come from CCP.

If they would fix the code that instantly aggresses new players on grid in missions, then dealing with bots would be super easy. I originally found a whole slew of very obvious bots when I was mission a few years back, spent an hour or two, in just 1 system I had counted 50 accounts. Documented everything, sent in a petition. Never saw those accounts again without so much of a thanks or anything for doing CCP’s job for them. So a few months later, I noticed another group of accounts flying the same ships/fittings with a similar account/name/corp setup etc. While I was logging those accounts, I even found half a dozen of them flying Golems… a bot, that has existed long enough to take the time to skill into a T2 battleship with T2 launchers etc.

So my brother and I decided to start figuring out how to most efficiently gank these crazy faction fit CNRs while they were running missions. After a couple of theory crafting sessions and a few tests on how thorough their scripting was (when they triggered warps, how long they sat on gate after evac’ing, etc). We managed to successfully bag the first victim and by the time we got the plan set and were ready to start making iskies off these bots, CCP changed the aggro mechanics in missions that made the use of a couple Talos impractical :frowning:

So until they give me any sort of incentive, I’ll just let them continue failing at taking the info I gave them years ago and actually using it to find bot rings.

2 Likes

I agree with you, it shouldn’t be our job to hunt botters, but CCP’s. I recently saw a thread on reddit from a bot writer’s perspective, showing a bunch of big flaws. Let’s hope they get fixed some day.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.