Burst jammer solo pvp?

I’ve been building a few frigate fits recently using burst jammers, but I haven’t had a chance to try them out.

The Merlin can with my (not very good) skills get a jam strenght of 9.9 to 12000 meters and probably more with good skills.

The cap is not good but ok, frigate FW fights shouldn’t last for too long anyway.

Do anyone have any experience with burst jammers, have I missed some big downside? Any suggested fits are also welcome.

Don’t use ecm unless it is a bonused frig like the griffin navy issue

They work as an oh-■■■■ button. Most of the time you will jam out a target and get away.

Drawback is that it sometimes does not and the cycle time is to long to get a second try. This can be circumvented on a bonused ship, like a griffin.

It also gives you an aggression timer, so you cannot jam someone out and then crash a gate to safety when trying to avoid a camp, at best you can only warp off.

Last, but most important is the fact that frigate fits are very “tight”, you don’t really have slots (and sometimes fitting) to sacrifice for “utility”. Mid slots are very valuable, as tank, prop mods or tackle.

You can theory-craft a fit that would use it, but it mostly becomes a mediocre fit that gets its value from surprising enemies with it. On the top of my head I can imagine trying something like this…

[Republic Fleet Firetail, top kek]

Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
200mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
Counterbalanced Compact Gyrostabilizer

Burst Jammer II
1MN Afterburner II
Warp Scrambler II
Stasis Webifier II

200mm AutoCannon II, Hail S
Small Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu
200mm AutoCannon II, Hail S

Small Projectile Collision Accelerator I
Small Projectile Burst Aerator I
[Empty Rig slot]

Usually a Republic fleet firetail is in a arty scram kiting setup utilizing its midslots to do double webs and hence getting amazing range control. This setup trashes all that to give your enemy two surprises: 1. Firstly you brawl them at 500m. 2. A bit into the fight you fire off the burst projector to either give you an edge or GTFO.

I am honestly interested in hearing about how it goes.

Pure ECM is preferable over burst jammers. A burst jammer will only break a lock, but the opponent can relock you in a few seconds. They’re more useful in GTFO situations where you want to break your opponent’s scram.

ECM modules have less strength than a burst jammer, but will last 20 seconds if it lands.

IMO, they’re best used on a ship that looks easily killable, so something like a Venture or Heron. You’ll lose often, but it’s fun when successive ECMs land.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.