Can we have this?

I think the one thing I love most about this analogy is that our space ships feel like submarines in space. To say that the atmospheric ship sailed a long time ago feels fitting.

2 Likes

I once created a cheezy space sim program, using 3D wire graphics and Java RMI for multiplayer. This was back in the 90s. Got a frame rate of 5. Good times.
Anyway, the premise of this academic endeavor was that you were stuck in a black hole, one so large it takes a long time to hit the singularity. and in order to survive as long as possible you had to blow up other players and take their stuff, so to speak. Mainly fuel, so you can keep going.

You had to, because everything was sliding towards the singularity. So in addition to 0G physics, which was extremely crude given my lack of skills in coding that, everything was also moving towards a central point in a very large 3D space and accelerating if simply left to do so.

If you are wondering, there was no escape. But the “game” sucked too. Really with that frame rate. And my skills with creating models in DXF format were nowhere near as good as parsing it in code and turning it into a polygon that represented something worse than an Imicus.

In the end I put a huge grey cube in the space, called it the “Bored Cube”, and it would follow you around cracking jokes randomly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.