As I recollect it, GoonSwarm got started by recruiting outside EVE itself:
- They used a non-gaming online forum, and selected almost entirely from people who’d been there a year or two, thereby solving the trust problem
- They found a way to use new players effectively in fleet warfare
- They seem to have held together through more difficulties and drama than most Corps/Alliances
It’s an impressive achievement. I’d like to learn more about it from someone who was involved at the time.
What interests me most is how they selected their recruits:
- Selected so they matched the profile of players who start alone, but get established and stay?
- Selected from the same population as all new players who try EVE, but were able to keep a much higher proportion because of the way their established players and organization helped new players get set up and having fun?
- There’s no (3), but it’s probably not a binary choice. If anyone cares to share useful information, please don’t be constrained by this list
I’m also interested to hear about the value of what I described above as “solving the trust problem”. Hopefully it’s obvious what I mean, but I could expand on it.