Cap booster logistics in wormhole ratting

Hi everyone! For a few months I’ve had to stop playing Eve due to work, so I started planning to get into wormhole ratting when I start playing again.

After testing on SiSi I’ve found out that C3 sites are soloable by a Praxis with dual XL ASBs. The ship would have 800 dps with Federation Navy Ogres deployed and would only cost around 150 million ISKs.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I wanted to try and do that as an alpha (probably because I’m a masochist) and so I can’t use a t3 cruiser. As far as I’ve seen my most reasonable options are either a Gila, a Rattlesnake. If you think I should just give up with this stupid Praxis idea and fly an actually good ship, feel free to tell me. :stuck_out_tongue:

The catch is that in order to do so I need to restock cap boosters once every 2 sites.

The most obvious way to do this would be to have an alt ferrying cap boosters 400 from a trade hub to my base of operation (around 20 jumps away), leaving them in a station close by and then going in and out of the wormhole to fill up the ship.

My question is: do you think there are more time efficient ways?

How expensive would it be to have them transported directly to me? As I said, it’s 20 jumps away, but it can be reached without ever leaving highsec.

Well im sorry to tell you but the fact that you need to do something like that is a clear sign how much did you screw it up.
C3 site are soloable in a goddamn perma tank raven while doing 1000+ dps on BSes (750 on cruisers, cause no fury for them). And im not even mentioning T3 cruisers who rape most of them too.
Here is a horrible, primitive, outdated but totally noob friendly example for C3 Wh:
[Raven, Explo]

Ballistic Control System II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

Large Shield Booster II
EM Ward Field II
EM Ward Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Shield Boost Amplifier II
Target Painter II

Cruise Missile Launcher II, Mjolnir Fury Cruise Missile
Core Probe Launcher II, Core Scanner Probe I

Large Capacitor Control Circuit I

Hammerhead II x5
Salvage Drone I x5

That thing can live in WH till runs out of ammo (which takes a lot of time) and the carry all the loot back by itself

I do not have experiance in C3 farming myself, but it is very hard to believe , that posted ship, will survive. Less than 400 EHP/s where NPC can deal over 1000 DPS in a single wave? I do not see any C3 in your pretty red killboard, no offence. But I may be very wrong here.

OP has a very simple solution: buy a blueprint and manufacture your ammo or ships direct in place. I used to do that in FW zones, where ships were PITA to transport but were easy to build.
Another hint is that Hoarder can carry lots of munition, including cap boosters. Even with minmatar industrial at 1.

Let me quote you here because this is important. Since all t3 ships need the remains of sleeper wrecks, data and relic sites to be made, it would stance to reason they were made for this job.

So instead of using a one time gift ship that sounds like a gank waiting to happen, I also recommend flying one of them.
Always take your depot with you, so you can switch from the damage subsystem to the covert one for sneaky travels.
If you want to be really nomadic, let me recommend the laser-config Legion for that because you can have infinite ammo and be in space or traveling until your cargo hold is full with blue loot - just don’t get killed and don’t forget to bring a salvager or more to clean after yourself.
The sleeper salvage is a little cream on the cherries if you will.

If you don’t like the Legion, no worries, all 4 of them are very capable. However stay away from class 4 and up class wormholes because you need more than one tech 3 to do class 4 anomalies and c5/6 need capital ships.

Thanks! I’ve never thought of producing ondcope. myself, I thought Industry was beyond my scope, but I’ve never actually checked if that was true. But wouldn’t I still have to haul all the materials in order to do that?

EDIT: also the Hoarder looks WONDERFUL

Thanks for the fit, but I have two doubts:

1. Are you sure about the 1000 dps figure? Because with all 5 skills, it reaches only 838 dps. (EDIT: ok, it reaches 955 with the Hammerheads)

2. The fit only tanks 400 ehp/s (and that ONLY if you add a Damage Control II). In a combat anomaly you can get up to 815 dps (Outpost Frontier Stronghold). Which also comes mostly from two battleships, and each will take more than 100s to take down. During that time you’ll take at least 40000 ehp worth of damage, which is more than your shield capacity.

Between mine and your judgement, I trust yours more, so… what am I missing?

Remember, t3s are sig tanking ships - just keep traversal high and make the sleepers miss you with their lasers - that is the key

Need huh.

I used to live in a C3, and all I needed was a reasonably fit Legion (mostly T2, maybe a bit of Faction). And b/c it uses Lasers, you don’t need mountains of ammo. Just a handful of spare Crystals.

If you’re talking about dual XL ASBs and running completely out of ammo every 2 sites, you are doing something horribly wrong. As @Ikudza_Saraki mentioned, T3 cruisers can Sig tank a heck of a lot better than your Praxis BS can attempt to face tank.

I’m sorry, but I forgot to mention I’m still an alpha clone, so my option seem to be either Gila, Rattlesnake or a t1 ship.

Now, if you tell me I should be Omega before attempting this, that’s fine, but my wish was to try and PLEX my account without buying PLEX for real money. See that as some sort of challenge.

Alpha is basically a trial demo mode. You get a little bit of this, and a little access to that. But you really need to upgrade to Omega if you plan on getting anywhere in the game.

And being able to afford your monthly sub with ISK is a noble goal. But you aren’t going to get there any time soon. And even when you get there, it’s rather depressing to watch all your hard work disappear in a single purchase just so you can start over again.

So I’d suggest paying for the game just like any other. It’s cheaper if you pay for the sub, than it is to buy PLEX anyway. And then you’ll be able to keep all your profits, and put them towards making yourself more financially stable for the future. And when you get to the point that buying a month of PLEX doesn’t wreck your wallet, then you can turn off the subscription charges.

Alpha can not cloack. That means NPC will not be your biggest concern. Fit whatever you want, but you will lose your ship as soon as some cloacked wing deliverer will jump into your system…
And they will jump, C3 is most jumped class of WH :wink:

That would be one more reason to fly a cheap ass ship in there.

Anyway, this has always bothered me:

When I get into wormholes, I very rarely see anyone there. Of course, it might be that each one has tens of people cloaked and itching for a fight, but if that were the case, why hasn’t anyone stopped me from raiding their relic sites?

I mean, up until now it seemed that to make sure a system was empty flying around it spamming D-Scan and ensuring no one was docked in citadels was enough for me.

Is there some sort of tradition not to bother explorers raiding relics I’m not aware of?

I have some more cause implants, so yeah. Its less without them.
Outpost frontier stronghold is the only one when i have to actually look at screen exactly for that reason. shield does drop but i kill them before it goes down entirely. Others might dent it sometimes to 50% or so but then it goes back. Your experience might vary, feel free to change TP to boost amp for more tank or install green/blue booster. And dont forget to orbit that MTU :slight_smile:

Sooooo… you are telling me that all this time I didn’t have to pump up the tank up to 800 ehp/s?

That makes it easier!

Ok, I’ve tried a similar fit. It was a Praxis (I still have some stuff to train before caldari battleship), but it had a similar ehp/s (around 430) and dps (around 900).

I tried going in the outpost frontier stronghold first, and I didn’t make it through. When I get to the last wave, I have to kill 4 frigates and 2 battleship, for a total of 815 dps. The battleships have 90000 ehp each.

Now, if I manage to kill a battleship I should be fine, but first you need to kill the frigates, or else your dps will get taken down by around 200. That would add at least another 25 seconds to target them and kill them. If you assume a time of 90 seconds to kill one battleship, it’s a very close dps race.

I’m not saying it’s not doable of course, but it seems to me if you don’t have good skills the fight will blow a hole through your armor and part of the hull. Or blow you up.

Of course, the Praxis did blow up because its ehp amount is lower, but I still think I need a stronger active tank and that, in general, an alpha clone might have problems during C3 with this fit (although I might be wrong)

on last wave i kill BSes with missiles letting my drones to chew on frigs, usually kill BS before shield fails. They hit too hard to let them live long.
I agree, being alpha will make this impossible in such a fit, so yeah, say hello to rattle. or better yet, farm C1 C2 for plex :slight_smile:

Thanks for the sound advice!

Well, the ancillary fit has enough tank to not rely on buffer to survive. So if I just push a hoarder through the wormhole first, set up a Mobile Depot in a safe spot and load more boosters there, then get out, pick up the Battleship, then go refill at the depot, I should be able to do that right?

Sure, I lose some time due to this thing, but if I’m planning on doing every single site in the system, it won’t be that bad. Besides, I still need to scan the wormhole to assess all the connections, so in the end it’s even less of a deal.

Or I can do C1/C2, but then I won’t be able to say I did C3’s with a useless ship. :stuck_out_tongue:

C1 is crap. Do not do it. Slow, boring, low rewarding. C2 is already a bit more interesting, but still nothing beats C3 adrenaline, challenge and income. If you happen to find not farmed out C3 , of cause…

1 Like

Even worse, C1 has some camps that are huge with spawns 100s of kms away from each other. Or, at least The Line is like that. No thanks!

I’d rather go for fast gains with more planning!