Character Name Change, a goldmine for CCP

Then it looks like you don’t need that name change as badly as you think you do. :slight_smile:

For 1000$ dozens of skill extractors required? No I don’t. That’s not how microtransactions work.
I don’t see a point to continue further this arguing really. Because by your analogy CCP can simply change character transfer fee from 20$ to 500$ and drown in money overnight. People will still buy it and wont riot, right?

Well, no, that’s a bad analogy. But good try though.

I don’t know about him but I have been a software engineer for 30 years and the task is trivial.

2 Likes

No because more people would buy name change, and as previously covered name change via skill extractor is a talking point, a myth, it is far easier and cheaper to use the char bazaar.

1 Like

Yes, without a doubt thousands. Back in 2013-15 they did several good calculations on how many subscribers eve online had and concluded that it was hovering around 500k. Back then they had 50k online per day. This also fits with many other games. About 1/10th of total players are online at any given time.

So!
Today, with 20k online at any given time we could estimate that have about 200k active subscribed accounts which means that 1/200 accounts would have to be interested in a name change for it to be in the thousands. I think that’s way within the limits.

My hunch is that it’s probably more like 1/20 accounts that would like to change their name if they could for a fair price.

So, 10.000 accounts x $5-10 for name change = $50.000-100.000 income for CCP for a simple quick fix that would also make many players happy.

It’s a no brainer for me! Just do it! :slight_smile:

Very good point about bought characters! I didn’t even think about the big market for that but of course people would want to change the name for a character they’ve just bought.

SHUT UP AND TAKE OUR MONEY! :smiley:

Sorry, but this is a ridiculous solution.

It takes ages to buy extractors and extract all skill points from a character. Why make the process so painful for all those thousands of players out there that want to change?

Just make a simple $5-10 dollar option for them and a name history tab. Done deal!

It’s not a goldmine if the solution is so complicated and expensive that nobody will use it.

To put this in EVE terms. This would be like going to null-sec and sell implants for 20x the Jita Sell price.

Will you get a buyer? Sure! One or two in a month will buy out of pure desperation. But since the price is ridiculous the vast majority of players won’t buy EVEN THOUGH this is something that they really want. You see? :slight_smile:

It takes surprisely long to ask CCP hf. to take your money while a lot of MMOs around successfully use this option from their start.

Just issue all toons an Eve “social security number”.

And maybe visas to work in other Empires’ space. I want to see protests around Jita “They’re taking our jobs!”

“DEY TOOK R JERBZ”

1 Like

They have CID already. Should be on character screen, probably.

How about a CallSign Feature… you can change your CallSign as often as you want, but your Name will be unchangable… you may choose if you want to be seen by name or CallSign, but you will always be searchable by username. Details need to be determined.
my 2 cents

I want to know who you are on the overview and local. So I’d want to be the one who controls how i see you and where.

If we don’t allow that it suffers the same issues as above.

If we do we have a silly situation where the same person appears different to different people.

Since this is pretty obviously not realistic due to UI space limitations, and pointless due to the fact that the char you are watching so intently may have been traded to a different human last night, did you have any other objections?

As long as i can put the old name in local and overview then no objections.

If i can’t the idea is unworkable.

So basically the name column would be configured to be either current name or aliases, but not both.

If the column has alias and the person had none, then it would be name.

Is getting to a point where it can work but if different players have different configurations then they seem the same player as two different names…imagine that for target calling.

This is why you should just give in to the chaos :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: