Name change for older characters

I would like the option to purchase a name change (with limitations), especially for older characters that were either created when some of us were probably teenagers, or were sold.

I realize this comes up periodically. There hasn’t been a recent topic on it, though, and I would like to express my support for it. I also have some solutions for people’s concerns.

Most people look at Employment History first, which would not change regardless of character name. Additionally, there could be an area in Employment History that says “Also known as: etc.” Perhaps, limiting name changes to once every 5 years would prevent abuse of the system, as well. I see no downside that cannot be addressed, and the upside is more money for CCP. You guys like money, right?

If someone really wanted to hide their identity, they could do it with a skill-injected alt. For older characters not engaged in nefarious things, there’s no other option.

Thank you for reading.

1 Like

That comes up quite a bit, the last time being here

1 Like

Skill injection is not the same as a name change. You lose the first 5mill SP plus the injection penalties.

That said I always thought the identity argument was bull ■■■■. There is no reason all current contacts and history could not be retained, the name would change, and somewhere nearby it would say “aka <old name>”.

Unless they keyed the DB by name, but in this millennium no one is that dumb right?

1 Like

Can never be too sure, it is CCP we’re talking about afterall. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp:

Yeah, exactly as you said - each character has an ID, they’re certainly not keyed by name

Hiding your reputation inside a character information… also known as… tab, is still hiding it.

You may say that it findable, but not always in Eve is there time to go through the motions when someone is warping in on you.

WTH are you even talking about, who is hiding anything?

Sorry Salt, my post was pretty bad at getting my point across.

I was objecting to the usual line that the name changers say, “we are not hiding reputation, because old names will be listed in a AKA tab on our character profile”

My point is that, in a time sensitive situation (such as a pilot warping onto your grid), the AKA-Tab in your character profile is as good as hiding your reputation, as who has time to go through the tabs to investigate before acting on the incoming situation.

Probably still not conveying my point very well… lets just say I am against any form of character name change.

As new player I am just curious if character name changes are possible or not as the game stands now…???

No. Name changes are not possible.

If you a very new, just make another character. Keep the first one with the name you don’t like though as you’ll likely have a use for an alternate character soon in your Eve career.

1 Like

Really why, did they use the string as a DB key?

1 Like

Yes, yes. Name changes are clearly possible and CCP has been known to delete offensive names or even change capitalization for newer characters. But no, general name changes are not allowed by CCP for players as was the spirit of the asked question.

Of course it is not allowed, why else would there be a thread asking for it to change?

1 Like

In this world of covert / espionage and all sorts under handedness I would have thought that changing your identity would be part of game… It may cost but that’s why criminals seek out plastic surgery and such.
Just my 2isk.

2 Likes

It is part of the game, it is called creating new alt(s) and if needed buy and use skill injectors.

And yet a new alt is not the same as having a character that has changed their identity… Its a new character. What I’m talking about is actually taking a character to a npc where you pay for changes be it in isk or plex. This would have to be in lo sec or null as the law would have something to say about it… The fact that a dive into their past would show up older names would add to the game. It could be linked to the hack skills.

1 Like

Too easy. It’s not like gta where you go through the magic paint shop and the cops suddenly have no clue where you went.

You’re gonna have to be a bit more clever/thorough to hide your past in eve.

2 Likes

And that is a fair comment. I can see what you’re saying it just seems rough for returning players can’t change the name that they made years ago. You would think that as it made me change my picture at the time of returning, they could have offered a name change too.

2 Likes

Not too mention the idea in this thread is to not hide the past, but keep it and just change the name, listing past names as well.

1 Like

Which name comes up in local?