Client start exception after today update - steam [SOLVED]

ubuntu 20.04 work for me with copyng file and setting read only

Great find, copying launchdarkly_client.pyd from the sharedcache/tq/bin64 folder to sharedcache/tq folder and setting read only also worked for me.

Arch / Lutris / wine-staging 6.17 / Launcher v1952584

Anyone having trouble login in game? Im on Lutris, did not update the launcher. The launchdarkly.pyd is on read only, and its still there. I’m on wine staging 6.19, and the Windows launcher on Lutris is the 1917874, ubuntu mate 18.04.

I’ll keep trying. I remember some week ago, I had this problem and after reporting it here… started working :confused: I guess its afraid? lol. No idea. At least I can click on the stop button and the client stops, saying closed unexpectedly.

It was working great last night ;(

PS: Did an update, there was something for Lutris and Mesa updates as well. After the restart, I tried again but no joy. But since I needed to do PI, decided to try the Linux launcher and even let it update the launcher… and it works, albeit with 84% CPU usage with 5 clients, when with Lutris I normally run 5 with 50% CPU usage :frowning: but hey, at least I’ll be able to chat and do PI.

Well, they could support Wine at the expense of their relationship with M$.
It is a Rubicon.

Its so easy: I had to decide what to play in the winter and since CCP is not caring for ANY way to get the game, which is basically running just fine under linux, running on my platform - i will throw my money at some other game.

there is a difference between ‘wont support’ and ‘will invest time and money in oorder to make it harder for you to run thhe game under linux’.

Yo

Consider directing those resources to Wine and the community champions that are striving to keep the coding concurrent.

I am unable to re-find and link the thread where one of our own has submitted de-bugged code to Wine maintainers but could not get it into this next release because Wine is understaffed in that area for testing.

Quite honestly: No. I put enough work and lifetime into OS myself and I do think it is CCPs job to do this.

My Account was created in 2012 so THANK you CCP for going to lenghts in order to ensure linux players are locked out.

I think they were suggesting to consider putting the money you were going to throw at one other game towards a crossover subscription instead to support the wine project. I rarely use crossover but I also have a subscription as its the most direct way to fund development of wine.

I also have trouble to run the launcher ( Manjaro + wine ).
Tried everything in the book, can’t find a solution.
Cancelled subscription.

I guess I officially won eve ? … until next time

proton-6.20-GE-1 got all the needed patch to make EVE working on Linux.

1 Like

I think many have problems launching SteamPlay (Wine) games on anything later than Proton 5.0-10 on some distributions that’s why they stick to that version. It’s not by choice, Valve did a patch in 5.13 and they force later versions (you cannot pick minor point releases) that broke launching for many games. Mint specifically was one distro that was affected, and others perhaps.

So whilst it may be fixed in Wine later versions, that’s not an option for some.

I do think we’re now at a crossroads for a Linux native client rather than having to rely on Wine, as Mac no longer uses Wine. The divergence and cost of wine support will possibly increase going forward, it may make better technical sense to port the Mac native to Linux too as Mac doesn’t use DirectX either.

Work smoothly on Archlinux with 5.14.2.21.realtime1-1-rt kernel.

Funny thing Ive started to have same issue on Windows 11 after today update :smiley:

No longer works with Manjaro and Steam, the launcher no longer runs. The paths listed above do not match on my system …
In short, a little tired of struggling for hours to unblock the situation.
When will we see a true native client under Linux?

When Eve dies.

PS: Works on Proton 5.0-10 (Wine 5) on Steam and Linux distros derived from Debian->Ubuntu->??

Try using PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command% if Vulkan doesn’t launch.

My launcher is working under the not so new method that Renard shared with us on the other thread, but now is asking for the exefile.exe which I remember seeing before there, but bin64 looks empty with just 3 folders and nothing else.

It kinda feels like CCP keeps sabotaging our hopes.

CCP cant you stay away from making stuff not work? if you are deliberately running us out… why dont you just say so??

:frowning:

Its like they gave a command to delete the whole folder contents. Its a good thing I can compare with my other EVE installations… my linux native install had 161 items and 5 folders in the bin64, why in hell is my current one, which was working wednesday… empty with 3 folders instead? Not only that, the TQ folder, had 12 files before, and now I only have the launchdarkly.pyd… which we set as read only, so thats why it survived.

I cant understand how idiotic the devs are being…

Is this also happening on windows?

Hey! So I hit the same wall you did. Copied that pyd file, read-only. Then launcher wouldn’t run at all. Uninstalled & re-installed. Started getting the exefile error. Uninstalled & re-installed a 3rd time, finally was good to go.

On that 3rd time I checked the SharedCache folder before actually launching the game, confirmed all the bin64/ and exefile etc. were all here. Copied them elsewhere in case they go missing again.

It has to be deliberate, I can’t see so many things constantly ‘going wrong’ without malicious intent.

My guess is that a launcher update triggered a cache refresh where it detected files that shouldn’t be there but that it couldn’t remove, so it errored out in a non graceful manner. I suggest unsetting read only if people keep running into this and seeing if that helps stop the temporary breakage.

FWIW I’m running a wine with the patches (so I don’t have to tamper with launchdarkly) and I haven’t seen this problem, so I’m thinking its because of the read only bit

Debian, Lutris, and it worked for me. Set file to unreadable and cancel any updates to the launcher