Combat Probe Scanning, Game mechanics

I would like to know how the warp works with combat probe scanning. Once you have scanned down a ship, It takes some time to warp to the location. Does the “warp to 0” take you to the location of the ship in the “now” or, does it take you to the location at the last scan?

For example, if the targeted ship is fast and currently moving at 3000 m/s and it takes 10 seconds to warp to it, do you land 30,000 m off target?

Thanks

1 Like

This. It takes you to the position where it was when the last scan ended. Everything else would also be illogical.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info.

Logical yes, I just wasn’t sure that the game mechanics followed the logic (planets don’t actually orbit, you stop dead in space when you turn off your thrust).

1 Like

logical if you take into account that eve simulates “liquid space/vacuum” physics

1 Like

One of the ways for an alpha to be safe without a cloak (for example, while scanning) is to fit a cap stable, speed fit 5mn frigate. Sit in a safe spot, and allign at high speed to the middle of nowhere (straight up, or straight down usually works… don’t align to anything in the celestial plane.)

Anything that scans you down is going to land 100km behind you, no matter how fast they warp. If they want to catch up, they need to burn towards you for a minute or more in an uncloaked ship that’s faster than yours, which is fairly easily spotted.

3 Likes

technically, they can re-scan and re-warp within the grid and land way closer to you (they will warp instantly as they are already aligned), plus navigation skills on alphas are atrocious to try and fight anything with speed.

1 Like

In former times I killed a lot of those with my Svipul who thought 4km/s would be safe.

1 Like

in former times (when spot bonuses were a thing) i made a cap-stable oversized MWD legion with 3 armor links that flew faster than any inty could ever dream of (about 11-12km/s). There were some theories of how to catch it involving loooooooong webs and rewarps, but it had a cloak to prevent it ever happening.

under current mechanics a chain MJD just might do the trick to catch one of those.

1 Like

4,000 m/s that is fast. The fastest I can get my Executioner is about 2,950 m/s.

Using that technique, can you still warp if you are within the minimum warp distance on the second try?

1 Like

target has to be 150+ km away to rewarp.

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

I learned this myself yesterday. I was in a wh looting a data site when I picked up a ship on dscan. The next thing I saw was a bubble poping out right behind my ship. However the guy was unfortunate enough to jump to my location while I was using a mwd to get to another container to loot. By the time he landed in the area, I was already outside the bubble radius and easly warped away.

The scary part was that I was flooding dscan and did not see any combat probes in the area. Guy was ridiculously fast to spot me and reach my location.

1 Like

He had pre-scanned your anomaly and was waiting (or had a skilled prober).

2 Likes

Exactliy, when you are at a data site, they don’t need combat probes. When they camp a system, they have already probed down every site. Then they wait, and when they see you on dscan, they get the distance and look which anomaly, site, or celestial matches the distance. Quite easy after some training.
Then they warp in cloaked, approach cloaked, and some seconds later you are supposed to be toast.

1 Like

I have a fast aligning ship. I am hoping that I can notice a ship pop up on my Overview and can warp out before I get bubbled. Any thoughts?

submarines in space …

Submarines are close, but I’m still puzzled there is no negative velocity when I turn 180°. Even Submarines cannot turn right on spot…
It’s just EVE Space, for me that’s the easiest way to cope with the mechanics. Our ships are big spheres/eggs/ellipsoids with no particular point of propelling.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.