Combat Scanning Competively

Obligatory Note - technique refers to your personal ability to do something, juxtapose your skill levels which makes it easier to have no technique, like an Omega.

What are the factors that go into Combat scans? Size of ship? Speed if moving sub-warp? If the target keeps warping, can you ever narrow down one of their safe spots or does that reset your scan lock?

What is a competitive number of pings before lock?

I like to use pings, it’s more quantitative. Saying 30sec is subjective to the speed the user works the probes, but pings are pretty quantum units. Edited - for clarification.

Is a combat lock often within 1 ping? 2 pings? 3 or more?

Signature

Be Alpha

• Probe strength, higher is better
  • Signature radius of the target ship, higher is better
  • Sensor strength of the target ship, lower is better

Not directly, but interceptors and other fast ships will sometimes leave their MWD running, so the combat scanner will never reach them even if they scan them down.

Your best shot is to get a warp-in on them while they are at one particular spot and hope they warp back into that spot. Once you have that location pinpointed, you can warp there from the probe scanner window even if they warp away after.

Depends, if you use d-scan to find out their exact location beforehand, you can do it in one pass. If it takes longer than two or three passes, you probably won’t be able to pin the ship down.

1 Like

Obligatory Note - technique refers to your personal ability to do something, juxtapose your skill levels which makes it easier to have no technique, like an Omega.

I’ve only used D-scan for defensive scans, if I saw something blip in my area I was high alert. As such, can you elaborate on this part?

I thought D-scan didn’t find exact locations but only a direction? So the spherical scan tells you if someone is in range but not what direction it is?

How long the does a D-scan take to ping someone’s exact location so you can hit with the probes?

Signature

Be Alpha

You can narrow down the d-scan sphere to a cone by reducing the angle (below distance in d-scan window). Default is 360 for a sphere, you can go as low as 5. Direct the cone towards where you expect your target to be, adjust until it shows up, narrow down the cone and repeat until you have an idea of where to put your probes.

This is fairly advanced technique though, I’d advise you to google “offensive d-scan” to fully understand how to do it.

Precisely what I thought you meant.

I’ll create a thread on it but that means there’s geometric dead space. So I’m going yo nickname it dead-safes.

Basic principles will allow for easy creation of dead-safes as long as certain conditions exist. Which will be rare is my understanding, because most systems are tight in plane with the ecliptic.

Signature

Be Alpha

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.