[Compilation+Speculation] The Lore of the Drifters - and their Other possible identity ∰

Eh … it’s a pity that their true purpose was closed in 2015. But the beginning was interesting.
The funny thing is that the CCP makes different versions of the Drifters, thus they themselves do not know what to do with them. The fact is that after August 2015, their plot turns into absurdity.
We have Drifters who have Doomsday weapons, we have Drifters (For PVE content) who don’t have Doomsday weapons.

As I wrote earlier: “Drifters are a tool for amputating the plot.” If you need somewhere to cut something in the plot of the game, they have Drifters.

I haven’t lost hope for the Drifters yet; at this point, it’s very obvious that they’re at the core of some of the deepest strings currently being woven into EVE’s gameworld story, but they’re just not the focus at this moment.

They absolutely have been used as a tool for both forwarding tech as well as plot though, that’s abundantly clear.

I’ve still got a lot of thoughts - and the “Drifter” Elements, despite their long-inert nature, seem like they might be a nice thing to take a closer look at again.

3 Likes

The Jove absolutely did work with the Trig.

From HFN 5

In Templar One they mention that, while the origonal construct was once sperate from them, the modern one runs on the hivelinked brains themselves to function. This is why ripping Sleepers out of the construct does profound damage to the construct itself.

1 Like

The Jove and Trigs are absolutely connected in their past, likely one and the same at one point - I had meant that the TALOCAN have no evidence so far of being in contact with the Jove~

And yes indeed, the VR relied on its inhabitants to persist - maybe worthwhile to think of the original concept of the matrix with humans as processors (not batteries)

3 Likes

The reference to a “Jovian-Triglavian satellite polity” makes me wonder if “Jove” is not just a term for the race as a whole, but also for a specific subset within that race; sort of like how the populations of various city-states in ancient Greece were all considered distinct from one another (Athenian, Theban, Spartan, Corinthian, etc.) whilst still being treated as “Greek”.

It’s quite frustrating how slowly the story in this game advances. I’m not just hungry for more lore, I’m starving for it!

3 Likes

With eclipse comes the final chapter for the Triglavians right?
I think we’re probably going to see something from the drifters either during this or after the Eclipse part of this is over.

1 Like

The Triglavian-Jovian polity looks very much as though it is a particular subset of the Jove. I think that is the problem with a lot of this, in that we can talk about a ‘race’ as you would in fantasy, and it generalizes things. The Jove seem to have had numerous factions that barely got on with other due to fundamental idealogical differences. Much like New Eden today.

To be honest I am not sure if the bodies removed from the Sleeper installations were alive, or simply preserved. The actual construct may have been more or less empty at that point. The Drifter corpse autopsy showed it was in pretty poor state.

Some more to the crackpot theories part if I may.

First off, elephants in the room.

The Drifters are ancient enemies of Triangle people.
The Drifters had Bulwarks and Redouts in their wormholes.
Nexus room similar to Triangle conduit sites.
Triangle people started appearing after Drifter fortifications were raided and destroyed by the Capsuleers.

but…

Background:

The Sleepers.

First Jove Empire was the least developed among others who initially came through Eve Gate. First Jove Empire had a faction within it the Statics, within which there was a sub-faction the Stasis people, those who chose to be put in cryostasis and VR. So they are ancient-ancient. With time they spread from Utopia system in Curse to surrounding regions.

There is also an entity referred to as Sleeper race, who were among the first to populate the Cluster along with Talocan, Yan Jung, Takmahl. They are ancient-ancient-ancient! They populated Ani constellation according to Cosmos missions. So they are seemingly totally different entity, which at some point went to Anoikis with Talocan. But then Talocan left escaping from some threat leaving the Sleepers behind.

Sleeper Drones, the guardians of Sleeper sites in Anoikis are referred as Strong AI. The same level as Sentients and Hive Mothers among Rogue Drones.

The Tyrants

Now, the Tyrants are from the Second Jove Empire, which came about 2500 years after the fall of the First one. During that gap the Jove were a bunch of divided enclaves and factions. And they populated contracted territory compared to days past in Heaven constellation and surroundings within Curse Region. And something happened to them, the Shrouded days:

The fall of the Second Empire is a greater Horror for the Jove than the legendary collapse of the First Empire. … and it brought with it the nemesis of the Jovian race: the Jovian Desease.

Why the Second Empire collapsed is a mystery as complete to the modern Jove as it is to anyone else.

The evidence suggests that outlying settlements were destroyed. From the archaeological remains in the band of the systems that constituted the outer Second Empire, some kind of cataclysm is apparent; the ruins are almost all in worse condition than the remains of the First Empire. In the Heaven constellation some arrest of the disaster was managed, but the following period of approximately five hundred years is a historical black hole.

Was it the first Triglavian Invasion? Tyrants built Bulwarks and Redouts to isolate Triglavian conduits back then.

But the fortification is in the Anoikis, and the Tyrants were living in Curse.

Rogue Drones

There is a lot to unfold here. I think the lore on the Rogue Drones deserves a separate compilation topic. All I’m going to mention is that they seem to be engaged in survival of the fittest thing. They can invade human bodies. They are at times behave as a parasitic lifeform.

The Other

The Other is an artificial sentient entity. A product of Sleeper VR Construct. The Other used Rogue Drones in a way that I think implies total control or maybe cooperation.

These are not necessarily firm facts. These are not necessarily all facts I use. Not necessarily all the conclusions I have. But here goes:

Crackpot part:

Circadian Seekers/Autothysian Lancers are Sleeper Drones hacked into or consumed by Other’s Rogue Drones. Thus the head piece on the ship.

The Drifters are Sleeper race bodies heavily implanted and hacked into by Rogue Drones to be loaded by the Other identity. Hundreds of bodies, one mind.

Woowoo part:

Triglavians are an evolution of the Drifter idea with Narodnya being the same Sleeper Body, Navka being Rogue Drone AI, and Koschoi being the Other(s).

Perun, Svarog, the slavic stuff, ancient domains, etc is all VR/The Matrix delusion. Which Sansha threatened to disrupt.

Fighting Drifters, marking them as ancient enemy is part of proving, evolving.

2 Likes

Consider the Construct to be some kind of Matrix, albeit and experimental one. Not just a place where people lived but also an attempt to find the perfect society. So they model different societies in order to understand them. Its not that difficult to do, take a clone, apply the infomorph, run the simulation in time dilated mode and delete it at the end if it doesn’t work. Then create a new clone, apply the original infomorph pattern and you are ready to run another, the original infomorph does not get updated in a running simulation. This needs some kind of agents, npc actors, a form of AI, but not necessarily one that is a fully sentient entity. The Drifter corpses show them to be extensively modified in order to function which means they could support this type of actor. It explains the lack of communication and also their behavior which is highly predictable. The Other could be something similar, although vastly more sophisticated and therefore in charge. Maybe existing as some kind of fusion with an actual infomorph, even that of Tukoss. This makes sense if we consider the Nakva/Koschoi/Narodnya entities of the Triglavians. The Rogue Drones on the other hand have a definite origin in Orphyx, and we don’t know if that is something derived from Sleeper tech.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.