Covert, Recon, Deepscan + Alliance Structure Changes

High sec does not need to be more dangerous, it needs to be safer. Either its safer then low and null, with lower income rates, or its as dangerous with the same income rates.

You make a choice

Do we buff its safety, or its income?

Neither, because it is in a good state at the moment. Highsec is not supposed to be 100% safe. There are dangers in space, even in empire-space.

Since anyone and everyone can attack me at any time for whatever length of time, and cloaky camp my system, and instantly move a large fleet on me and gank me at any time with fleets that are many, many systems away, i guess Hisec isnt very safe.

Oh wait, no, that only happens in Nullsec.

So how is Hisec more dangerous than Nullsec or Lowsec?

You did not answer the question.

Do we buff safety, or Income? When you answer i will continue conversation with you, other wise you can join the junk pile of trolls on the forums. I like to call it “useless crap to flag for off topic nonsense”. If you want to be part of that group your welcome to ignore my question and i will gladly put you in it, or we can continue conversation which is beneficial to eve.

None of your ideas are beneficial to Eve and disagreeing with you is not offtopic or trolling.

Opinion, and talking about who i am or who my main is, is not the topic (covert redesign etc). I will flag the posts if they are not on topic and trolling. Its my right to do so, and its the reason why the feature is there.

Big NullSec blocks would increase the number of scouts they have cloaked in the system at the relevant structures. Sitting there passive, passing on the intel and maybe even streaming what they see.
If local was only to update after minutes, this kind of “gameplay” would probably become more important.

If you remove player created chat channels, you would simply force the use of external programs instead. There is a need for this channels and if it can’t be done ingame, it will be done out of the game as you can already see with a ton of third-party sites and tools.

Personally, as a scout, I would rather keep it.

I have no real opinion on this kind of structures, but they could be damn mighty in staging systems and key-objectives. If you had no dscan on top of that, there suddenly would be no way to estimate your opponents’ strength if you can not scan them down with combat probes. Which would not be that hard to avoid…
It might be overpowered a bit. Fights might not even takle place because fleets could just miss each other and fly past. ^^

I agree that covert ops ships don’t really feel like they have their niche anymore after the Astero came into the game. They still can be exceptionally good at scanning, but that’s basically it.

I guess that would be kind of needed if you remove dscan… but as already said, I’m not fond of it.

1 Like

augmenting the time frame will invalidate the behavior, if something is in and killed something before you heard about it, you would not see this behavior as it would be useless. f the time was to low at 3 or 5 minutes simply putting at 10 or 15 would be sufficient time to encourage a fleet to slip through space and kill something undetected by intel

not practical and 3rd party programs that alter people run off of player chat. simply removing these channels will work.

Black Ops fleets, wormholers, and a large number of fleet scouts may want to have a word with you on whether CovOps frigates and Recons have a purpose in fleets. They’ll never be the bulk of any fleet naturally (aside from BlackOps fleets), but that’s because they were never intended to be.

But scouts already do this. I will fully admit that hunting targets as a scout can be hard in non-wormhole space with current local mechanics, and especially with the presence of intel channels, but it is still possible. One need simply to look at the number of Rorqs and carriers that die in nullsec to CovOps fleets to verify my assertion.

I hate to bring up your posting in another topic (e.g. passive shield regen), but maybe the issue here isn’t the mechanics behind scouting, but how you are scouting?

I can see how these changes would make wormhole space safer, but less predictable? How’s that again? It would make wormhole space more like null, so it would be more predictable, not less.

1 Like

Imo, none. There is no reason to do it.

Also why, in your other threads, you propose and strongly insist on BOTH? You are a hypocrite.

I’m not talking about the solo-pvper in his arty-loki that snacks the occasional VNI or Noxis. That just happens regardless.
I’m talking about having your scout in the strategic systems ON GRID, to see when your opponent brings a fleet and what they will bring with accurate numbers from your overview.

I’m not sure if you get my point.
Simply removing these channels will not remove the need for communication in custom channels as well.
There will be custom channels. If you remove the ability to have them in the client, they will be in a 3rd party application.
The question is: Is there benefit to have this channels ingame or out of the game?
Personally, I’d rather not kill my immersion by steadily looking away from my client just for communication purposes.

1 Like

not a vald argument.

him being on grid is just as responsible in defensive military action as the miner tackled calling for help.

This argument is clearly over, and i have clearly proven this will invalidate intel channels and increase pvp conflict from this change.

Did you miss the part where i said “remove player created channels” or was that not clear?
There will be no “Custom channels” because they would be removed, along with the ability to create them.

As i have said, all third party soft ware that exists right now in eve depends on player-intel channels. player intel channels are player created channels named intel. Thus, removing these channels will result in all software that reports or works with intel to become invalidated, Useless. If you dont get that, they will NOT WORK.

It seems you dont understand english enough to get the point, maybe you should try a forum specific to your language?

I did not specify that these custom channels have to be within the client. Did I?
Again: If you remove the ability of players to create their own channels in the game, they will create them outside of the game instead. (In Discord for example)
The need for communication is not gone just because you remove the ability to communicate in parts from the game client.

This is usually the case when all participating parties stop arguing.
You presented your arguments and I replied. Seems safe to say it is not over yet. Although it might be pointless to keep going… :wink:

The only channel that the Intel-programs rely on is local. As long as you can tell who are in the system, Intel-programs will work. It doesn’t have to be in-game. In your proposition, they would just be transformed into programs/channels out of game with a sound notifications.

No, they will not.
Because you cannot be seen in local. It takes about 20-30 seconds to get through a system and is very easy to miss people quickly traveling through even if your watching the screen.
There is no practical way of using discord to keep track of intel in place of player channels in game, because the linking is what make the entire system work.

No alliance will use discord, or any other VOIP to track this. If anything they will simply swap to alliance chat (But thats ok, some intel is alright its the massive amounts of space and collection of alliances contributing to it thats a problem).

I did not speak about Intel-channels exclusively.

What about recruiting channels, trading-channels (e.g. for Abyssal Modules), channels like The Haulers Channel where courier contracts being posted? Fitting-Channels, channels connecting different corporations in different alliances on a coalition level? What about public channels for Incursions, or of like-minded pvpers like Bringing Solo Back? Or the public channel from EVE University where you can ask your newbie-questions once your character is too old to have access to the Rookie-Help channel. Or The Beehive used by streamer BjornBee to invite people to his public fleets. What about the channels of public fleet organisations like Bombers Bar or Spectre Fleet? Or the BIG Games channel that hosts a monthly giveaway since 2003 live in this specific in-game channel? There are channels used for organizing Entosis-operations of multiple alliances too attack hostile SOV. Or channels for logistics: to organize cap-chains as well as channels to discuss who brings which links to a fleet.

Granted that you even thought of them, would really sacrifice all these channels and their functionality for the sake of reducing intel?
Because you would have to since there is a high chance that you can not distinguishing between an intel-channel and all the others.

Exactly. And then every external program would just funnel the intel given in “Alliance” and filter it for your local needs while other methods would be found to communicate everything else outside of the game. The real carebears might even found one alliance per constellation/region and have the intel done like that.

Removing player made channels entirely will not reduce intel as it is.
I repeat myself: It would force the communication being moved from within the game to external software. With a high chance of making a lot of peoples lives more complicated in the process.

Haulers channel has a dev created option for it, in the channel list.
Eve university is also developer sponsodered.

ALL PLAYER CREATED CHANNELS DELETED. PERIOD. they can use the other games mechanics (flyers to recruit, instead of “public chats”).

The fact that you dident think of alliance until i mentioned it, is interesting, and shows your lack of ability to think, especially, to think about work arounds.

As i said more then once. if an alliance uses alliances chat for intel, that is good! Thats intended behavior. This is actually desirable, however, it will not save their allies and will take a lot of effort to warn them. its a good step at breaking up coalition cohesion and removing some of that unused space from them.

I repeat myself again, for the third time, it will not be a viable option.

This is dumb. Have you ever heard of Discord? Have you ever seen how many channels people set up in their Discord? You’re suggesting that Alliances only communicate with each other in their official Alliance channel? The only thing they’ll use that for is posting in-game links that can’t be posted outside. Otherwise they’ll just move to Discord and set up a dozen different channels in there. You aren’t stopping people from communicating, you’re just offloading the effort. Which, admittedly, might be a good idea since CCP can’t seem to figure out how to make their chat work right anymore.

I think you have this backward. High and Low sec are still owned by the Factions, so their Local channels are still monitored and policed. But Null and WHs aren’t owned by anyone. Which is why I think they should both function more like WHs currently do. Nobody shows up at all until they speak.
Then when you want to bring back Local, you need to deploy a Sov module that restores functionality. Since the only “lore” reason why you show up immediately is Gate registry, you need to claim Sov and turn that registry stuff back on. Of course, since you can’t claim Sov in a WH, and there aren’t any Gates, that means they continue to act as they do. No cheat sheet telling you if someone is lurking.

Still confused by what “Deep Scan” means to you. Do you mean you want the range on Combat probes limited? Or do you mean you want the range on Dscan limited? Either way, it’s a bad idea. Probes do what probes do, b/c that’s what probes are meant to do. And Dscan is good for showing labels, but that’s about it. Since you can’t get a true fix on someone just by Dscan, all it does is tell you if there’s someone lurking out there.
As for probe structures… that just sounds like you want to offload your repetitive Dscan efforts to a device. When you’re living in “lawless space”, it doesn’t make sense to automate safety and security measures. You take a risk every time you undock. And you should take precautions to make sure you stay alive and make it back. That doesn’t include buying a structure that will alert you when danger is nearby. It means staying situationally aware and watching your own ass.

I like the idea of CovOps Frigs having improved probes. That makes them useful in a fleet. They find the targets, and then relay that location to the bigger guys to go deal with.
But I don’t like giving Combat Recons CovOps Cloaks. They’re already arguably better than Force Recons, and they’re invisible to Dscan which basically makes them always Cloaked until they’re on Grid. If you give them CovOps Cloaks, then what’s the point of the Force Recons anymore?