Dev blog: Balance Changes Coming In The March Release

And cruisers would warp faster than BS. Literally nothing changes in how the ships interact. Battleships will still be bottom of the totem pole in subcap warp speed.

Also, any ship can roam if you want it to. Saying battleships cant/shouldnt roam is kind of dumb. Its in their name “battleship”. Imagine actual wars, if battleships only stayed in their ports to act as defense. They wouldnt be called battleships at that point, but defensive placements.

You bring battleships to have decent tank and do a lot of damage with your gang or when roaming solo. You pick the tool for the job you have in mind, limiting your available tools for no rational reason is poor design.

1 Like

Everything changes.

You argue that AU is the issue, and yet claim it wont change anything.
If it changes nothing, as you say, then why implement that change

Do you not understand that if people run cruiser roams at 3AU already, if BS become 3AU, they will fly BS instead?

The whole reason why cruiser roams exist, is because they are 3AU.
If you make BS 3AU, they will BS roam instead, at the same speed as they did with cruisers before, with massively more dps/tank.

It doesnt matter that cruisers would be 4AU.
What matters is BS would be 3AU.

Why roam in cruisers/BC anymore, when you can do the same as now in BS?

The slow 2AU speed is there for a reason.
BS roaming fleets at 3AU would be a bad thing.

Do you not understand that cruisers will now roam at 4AU/s and if people want to fly fast, theyll still roam with cruisers?

Also, did you forget about capital proliferation in this game? You bring a battleship roam through null, the alliances there would get a hot drop hard on so massive they would flip over their computer desk. Battleship roams would not take over the map with capitals the way they are, but it would make roaming with them a little more managable for some.

Cruisers and BCs have faster subwarp speed, have better tracking and in some cases have comparable tank/dps as BS. There are still plenty of reasons to bring them, stop creating strawmen scenarios of EVE being overrun by battleships. It wont happen because of capitals and bombs (not to mention BS own limitations against smaller ships). Navy omens arent going to be replaced by Napocs anytime soon.

Look.

If people currently currently roam with 3AU cruisers, and not 2AU BS, why is that?

They dont cos 2AU is too slow, right?
Thats your whole point, right?

If people are happy with cruisers at 3 AU, do you not understand they willl be just as happy roaming with 3AU BS, with massively more tank and firepower?

Wow. Terrible logic there.

Did you know there are more reasons to roam a particular ship other than warp speed? Is warp speed the only ship stat that exists for you in this game?

Cruisers are flown because theyre flexible. They can be fit to screen larger ships and act as anti-tackle (nomen, orthrus, scyfi, nosprey, vagabond, caracal, the list could go on) as well as lay down decent damage to most things smaller than them and apply all their damage to things larger than them.

You cannot make an anti tackle battleship without gimping it severly in either tank or mobility.

Furthermore, the mathematical increase of +1 AU to all sub-caps, is not equitably proportional.

A BS increased from 2 to 3 AU is a 50% increase.

But a Cruiser increased from 3 to 4 AU is only a 33% increase.

Then why change BS AU?

Per your own argument, they are not designed to be roam ships, and are designed to have slow warp speeds.

People roam with cruisers because cruisers are exactly what cruisers should be: a balance point between firepower and mobility. If you make everything faster, cruisers will still be able to run away from battleships just as easily. They will still be able to fight against frigates and destroyers just as easily.

So no, I don’t think changing the warp speed will affect ship choice whatsoever. The people complaining battleships are too slow will still feel like battleships are too slow. There will be a week or so of ‘wow, this is nice’ and then they’ll get used to the speed cruisers warp at again. Once that happens, the battleships will feel pokey and ponderous again, and they’ll hate it. Again.

Want to feel like battleships warp at a perfectly acceptable speed? Warp around in your Retriever or freighter for a while.

By the way, you can make an anti-tackle battleship just fine, you just have to go pirate. The Bhaal and Waffle-IronBarghest are pretty decent anti-tackle platforms without sacrificing tank or mobility.

1 Like

See my post above.
A flat +1 increase in AU of subcap classes will disproportionately benefit BS.

Sure, because they’ll get the largest % increase. You know what it won’t affect? Human reactions and idiocy. Cruisers will still escape just as easily. Promise.

1 Like

Hmm…

And why would Cruisers have to escape?
Oh, right, cos suddenly the meta is replaced with 3AU BS roamers, with massively more firepower/tank, and a greater proportional increase to their AU.

If you want to roam, use frigates/destroyers/cruisers/BC.

BS are not intended for this purpose.

While i agree they are good in that role. The Bhaal and barghest are both pirate BS with unique bonuses (scram range/RHML, and long, powerful neut/nos) that are perfectly suited to those roles. They dont represent most battleships.

So ill correct my original statment to “most battleships cannot fit for anti-tackle without gimping mobility/tank”.

Their warp speeds will still be slower than every other subcap ship in the game. Why is this so hard to understand? The principle of the BS being the slowest subcap remains, it (along with everything else) would warp faster mainly as a QoL improvment to make roaming less time consuming. Instead of taking an hour to do 30j, it would take 45min (as an example).

I never said you shouldn’t roam with a battleship. I said its not practical in the current cap heavy meta to roam constantly in BS. Battleships are extremely easy to counter.

This changes literally nothing in how ships interact via warp speeds, it just allows all ships to roam faster.

Ok.

Explain to us, why do you want BS to travel at a 50% increase, from 2 to 3AU?

Is it cos you want to roam in your BS?

I already roam in my battleships at 2AU. Having them at 3AU/s changes nothing for me, but may satisfy others who would like them.

If you read back to the start of this topic, i never proposed a warp speed increase, i felt it wasnt a necessary thing (like scan res and SS is). However someone made a comment about it and then you jumped in attacking them with hyperbole about how they could possibly change them. I merely presented you with the simplest way to change warp speed for battleships while leaving the core principles intact (battleships warp the slowest).

Lets recap shall we?

You said:

To which i responded to with:

I even said warp speed isnt a big deal atm, but if they were to change it, this is how. It was in response to your knee jerk, hyperbole filled reaction that made me post the warp speed numbers.

You can check my KB, i solo roam with BS/BC all the time. Looking at yours, youre either hiding behind an alt or have no leg to stand on when talking about balancing battleships and how they roam.

1 Like

Well, thats that then.

I dont see a reason to increase BS AU.

Its hard to see when you’re blinded by ignorance.

2 Likes

BS are slow not only by having warp speed below 3 AU, they have terrible align time and dewarp time. It was a disaster change, double nerf to them. While having different warp speed for different classes are good thing, BS are in very bad place because of that. Players want to play the game not to watch how their ships aaallliggnnn and waaaarrrpppp. BS won’t suddenly become best options for a roams because they have their limitations. And no, having warp bonus modules and inertia stabs won’t solve that problem because we would weaken the fits in the first place.

Edit: grammatik and spelling. Posting while doing carbonara…

1 Like

So you want to roam in BS at 3AU.
Not going to happen

If you want to roam at 3AU, use a Cruiser, like everyone else.

I never said that i wanted BS at 3AU.

I gave you numbers (see my previous comment where i already spelled this out for you) for a warp speed change that someone else commented on. Im arguing the basic principles on if this change were to happen, literally nothing would change in how ships interact with each other. Battleships would still be the slowest warping subcap, cruisers would still be used because theyre flexible for roaming.

Your ignorance and stubborness in not understanding this is making you draw incorrect assumptions on what is actually being discussed.