Dev blog: Black Desert Online makers Pearl Abyss to acquire CCP!

Is it April fools day already? Surely this is a joke thread.

4 Likes

Blah blah blah go home corporate sell off we do not need you here now, real players are in town you can go back to kindergarten …

hey hey bye bye …

If the players Love the game so much that they don’t want Pearl Abyss to buy it maybe they should launch a kick starter to buy them out at a price they can’t say no too.

Players would own the game they love it would be big news, big publicity. And we could take the game where we wanted to take it.

1 Like

Sure. Serenity went to become a cesspool of RMT and Botting, to the point that many players left it to play on TQ. They also had little choice other than to create Serenity in order to dip into the Chinese market back then. South Korean market is different in terms of access from the outside and we’ve had large SK corps in EVE for a long time now, as far as I remember, those dudes just being EVE players as everyone else.

Lol, get real, a kickstarter for $425Mill.

Oh no. CSM is an incredible marketing asset. It’s a toolbox full of tools which you control for both input and behaviour.

That is not something to remove or subject to decrease in resource allocation. You keep it level, they do your work anyway, and since they are by default trapped in a dependancy relation (regardless of whether or not they have detail level gratification fixations, as it is called) they can only ever work for you as a company.

Killing CSM as a stakeholder concept was one of the smartest move CCP ever made. Doing it by compromising a player group to do it for CCP while letting that group think they were getting in a position of influence was even more brilliant.

It’s a toolbox. It pays for itself. It is cheap. It cannot deviate. It cannot be counterfocused. All you need is a few crumbs here or there. Basically it’s a commercial application of something which carries a bit of bad flavour in terms of behavioural psychology as it has root in what is known as Quisling profiling. Best not go through that door.

Anyway, for CCP the CSM is cheap but it pays more than they put in. Combined with the requirement of toning down community services and cracking down on community management the combination is a perfect match for requirements of streamlining the acquisition process.

4 Likes

He had 7 % of ccp , do the math

1 Like

"Tomorrow, starting at 16:30 UTC, we’ll also have an AMA on the official
EVE Online forums with CCP Falcon and CCP Guard, who’ll be on hand to
answer questions. "

from Hilmar himself:

@Salvos_Rhoska AMA = ask me anything, with CCP Falcon and CCP Guard. If need be, you can show how to salvosh a thread.

2 Likes

I don’t get out much. Black Desert? Never heard of it …

Ah, Korean, that explains it. So I went looking for reviews and came across one that spontaneously mentioned EVE Online several times because both games were sandbox rather than storyline driven. Hack and slay exists but it’s not compulsory.

We have to hope this isn’t one of those “we shouldn’t be keeping all our eggs in one basket” acquisitions that Hilmar has perhaps been over keen to throw money at in the past. We know the sad tale of White Wolf and we don’t want that to be the fate of EVE!

So what’s going to change? ANIME COMBAT AND WAIFU IN STATIONS! Heh. Not anytime soon I would suppose.
More Far Eastern players? Now there’s a thing. EVE never took off in Japan and is I would suppose unknown in Korea, there are millions of Black Desert fans Googling EVE right now and, er, it’s English they will have to read.

Oh well. If Hilmar wasn’t right more often than wrong we wouldn’t still be here after fifteen years. We’ll just have to cross fingers and hope.

2 Likes

wow https://youtu.be/b8p16XiPFwk tell me the name of this game

Developers and owners have disparate, often contradictory priorities.
Pearl Abyss didnt exist 20yrs ago, either.
Closest original partner, would have been Ultima Onlines, Origin.

You just answered yourself,
CCP inversely doesnt have the liquidity/value to buy out Pearl Abyss.

The 425mil valuation of this sale, is arguably insanely high.
This is a huge windfall for CCP owners/investors.
They would have been stupid to not accept such an offer, considering what we, and they, know about EVEs track record and current state of health.
Dunno what Pearl Abyss was thinking, perhaps they have too much money and got “scammed” by CCP :smiley:

Goodbye, EVE Online. I’ve been here since the exodus from Earth & Beyond. my only regret is that my own company, http://www.orbital-inc.com , won’t have our MMORPG online on time to take advantage of this news.

To the community: Keep an eye open for Exodus Galactica. It will be the game we’d always hoped EVE would be, but always fell short of.

1 Like

And next EA see’s the new partnership and buys it… then we have game, set and match.

Well, the last years rumors about the future of EVE Online owner just failed - it’s not going to be an EA department!

Black Desert Online is frequently criticized of being a way too much P2W even by own gamers. Will Pearl Abyss be involved into the development of EVE in the future? Will EVE be promoted on Pearl Abyss sites for their community or it just an absolute far and independent project?

I want to notice something about the BDO community. Since my first MMORPG experience in WOW Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King, I met and I know so many ‘bright’ and skillful gamers with a ‘style’ from those expansions. Many players with a lot of focus, players which practically made no mistakes in 25HC man raids or Arenas, players looking for challenges, great content creators in game or outside game with great videos firstly on WarcraftMovies and YouTube afterwards, similarly to JonnyPew’s videos. Since Cataclysm fail, many of them quit WoW and a big part of them tried Guild Wars, Lineage, Archeage and finally Black Desert Online. Since 2010 it was a big migration from ‘meany’ MMORPGS, from games with virtual toy shops to hard and quality games with a challenge. No matter the BDO issues, I know many of them which are still on that MMORPG and maybe it means something.

Finally, now I know from where the expansion Into the Abyss come from!

1 Like

I left eve 7.th July and start BDO, and I am very satisfied when they change EVE to the BDO I may return to Eve ???

Getting an abyssmal pearl necklace pays a better part of that more quickly …

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE now we can truely get anime in EVE.

1 Like

But we don’t know how much of that is cash and how much of that is in optional boni.

“The $425 million includes both cash and a bonus earnout if certain
financial targets are met. That’s meant to retain the people in the
acquired company. CCP still believes it has a lot of potential in Eve
Online, which has gone free to play. The main focus is to rerelease it
in China.”

2 Likes

They want only paying players not rebelious players, and Pearl does not allow to be blackmailed

Ill see what I can do, but this is already a foregone decision.

Unusually, Ill likely just lurk and read what they have to say first.

Also, Falcon hates my guts for some reason.

1 Like