Dev blog: Black Desert Online makers Pearl Abyss to acquire CCP!

No, the results aren’t theory either. They are subject to variables, decision points and dependancies. That is all science and experience. CCP has built up both of those very well by now. This is what has enabled the sale in the first place.

PA has the exact same modus operandi and operational doctrine on a business level. Even more so, unlike CCP’s original investors they also carry this candle rigidly on a venture level.

There’s no assumptions here. It is all verifiable data.

seems like of a lot of effort for the sake of just seeding ships that already exist

The only thing I know about Black Desert Online is "Your country is restricted from accessing our service." This is the only game I know of that I can’t play due to my location, so I hope this deal won’t affect me in the future.

Nah, they’re gonna start selling Regional Access Pass FOR ONLY $199.99!

And then we suicide gank it.

1 Like

It means he is grinding lol

Be warned !!!
They done it in BDO and soon they will do the same in Eve.

All good things must end. :frowning:

I just can’t see the benefit, all I see is compromise.

It isn’t an end, it’s just change.

If it suits you, fine. If it doesn’t suit you, also fine.

1 Like

Sure, but this is still talking about the past. Why? No one claims otherwise.

““We are thrilled to have CCP Games join our team as ‘Black Desert
Online’ continues to branch out globally,” said Pearl Abyss CEO Robin
Jung. “CCP is a seasoned publisher with over 15 years of digital
distribution experience and know-how. They have done an incredible job
of engaging and maintaining their playerbase, which we aim to learn from
and hope to integrate natively into Pearl Abyss’ general practices
across all our games. I am confident CCP’s reputable IP and expertise in
global publishing will help reaffirm our company’s dedication to
developing and servicing the world’s best MMORPGs.””

Let’s read that and think again. There is no way in which a money powerhouse like PA would care about milking the comparably small playerbase of EVE. They are about to launch the Mobile Version of BDO worldwide in 2019. They have Millions of players already. They bought CCP for their unique capabilities and it may very well be, that this whole thing turns out to be great for EVE without any P2W bs.

Why bank on marketing when there’s established behavioural and business practice insights available?

If you want to figure out future scenario’s, never look at marketing. Always look at policy and behaviour surrounding decision points.

I think its a bit silly to argue, or even suggest, that EVE is now somehow going to get better that CCP is owned by Pearl Abyss.

If CCP couldn’t do it on their own power and under their own executive/production system, its not likely being under PA is going to lead to somehow better results than before.

Far more likely the opposite.

1 Like

The death of one of the greatest mmorpg ever made…

sadness and salty tears for everyone…

you can has my stuff…

sign out…

1 Like

Please contract to this character.

At least that way it’ll find its way to new starting players we sponsor every month.

1 Like

Agreed, but I didn’t look on the shiny, I look at the money. As to why PA acquired CCP, I can see reasons why a powerhouse with large growth would buy the expertise and IP of CCP, but I don’t see why they would waste their time combing through the lovely mess that EVE is in order to milk a couple of ten thousand players, when they have millions more to milk in more efficient ways.

Hang on, what makes you think PA is enjoying large growth? They make about the same on BDO under the line as CCP with EVE. Sure, it makes no sense for PA to go through the spaghetti, but that is how these corporate structures work. You task the studio, set targets, set sanctions. If failure, you start replacing. Eventually you split/sell. Worst case obviously, but this is how that works.

From either a fiscal or a financial perspective PA’s acquisition of EVE makes sense even just for the insights into commercial constructs which PA does not have. Also, you can make a lot from 110k human bodies :slight_smile: And you can make more of them. In different places.

Honestly, I do think that CCP has misinterpreted some of PA’s long term considerations, maybe even misjudged the differences in mindset. But, let’s be honest, if that ever comes to play, the ones who made the call will be happily out of it. Well rewarded.

Keep something in mind, PA is a publicly traded investment management company.

Ready for the shark tank CCP?

2 Likes

Source?

Checking their business history. They managed to double their registered players from 2017 to now, their stock prices went up nicely and they’re expanding successfuly into the South Korean and soon into the global mobile gaming market.

Yeah true. But in what way do you think CCP has interpreted (and misinterpreted) PA’s long term considerations. To my knowledge nothing about these is public, apart marketing talk.

Sure and they grew with injections of VC early on.

Hello! My first reply goes to you :slight_smile:

Investors do like to make money eventually, our previous investors were with us for a long time. EVE as a product is, and has been making profit, and is doing well. CCP is a profitable company which is also doing well. Both CCP and Pearl Abyss have a lot of faith in EVE as long term product.

4 Likes