Dev Blog: Security: Different times - Different ways

We sure hope so.

That would be so interesting to watch. I would also go one step further and have the characters undock, sit in a belt somewhere while Concord sits nearby not giving a ā– ā– ā– ā–  while everyone else gets a chance to wack at them like pinatas while the bots float helplessly in space in the very ships that were confiscated from them. XD

This should be true in ALL LEVEL OF SPACE. A smart NPC pirate would go after places with the heaviest mining activity in the constellation.

1 Like

LastPass is another service thatā€™s available.

1 Like

Lookā€¦ free press.

Wow, Kotaku has a link to The Onion. Probably the only real reason to go to Kotaku.

1 Like

Firstly, my experience of the report bot function is that nothing happens with it and it goes into a black hole. I still see many names active in local that Iā€™ve reported as bots / have obvious RMT contract histories and nothing happened to them for months. What assurances do we get that reports will be actioned

Secondly, How about you get the recent well known CEO who in their state of alliance address flamed a guy openly who queried reporting suspect blue botters to ā€œamend his adviceā€ in their next address and echo your own wishes that any suspect players are reported via this means

Thirdly, why not develop the report bot function so at least you have the option to either report bot / report RMT seller, with a free text box included to add any additional intelligence the submitter may have - will make it feel less like a black hole then

1 Like

I like what you guys are trying to do, but youā€™re kind of oblivious to the massive resource you have here. Publicize a heat map for bot bans IN GAME. Then, convert discovered bots into ISK faucets. The players then take care of a lot of your botting problems, freeing you up to pursue market bots.

1 Like

Nothing of new in this blog regarding antibot tactics. No info of how CCP should improve antibot systems.

Also players have right to know about every case of botting. They should receive information regarding bot reports they send. There should be database of bot users with detailed information.

I would love to see a statement from CCP about The Mittanis statement regarding reporting bots that are blue.

No, we dont have that right, nor should we.

Similar to reporting a crime IRL. What the cops do with it is up to them.
Unless you are the victim, they arent under any obligation to inform you.

2 Likes

In the uk, all crimes are published by way of a heat map which all can access, so you can see whats going on in your neighbourhood or where you intend to buy a house - so it depends upon which country you come from if this happens, just saying, still warming to you Salvos though havenā€™t reached the point of swopping spit with you in a shower to the early morning yet

1 Like

The poster I was responding to wanted CCP to inform them personally on the progress of their reports. Yes, I think that would be gratifying for the report maker, but I think that is a waste of CCP time that could instead be spent hunting/dealing with bots and those reports.

This heat map idea is interesting as a means for players to interfere in botting, where it has historically been shown to be prevalent

Data like this could also expose orgs that have a high history of botting in their owned/native systems.

On the otherhand, botters can also use it to avoid those systemsā€¦

Security Team/CCP could collate a diagram/graph of the geographic dispersion of accounts that have been banned where located in conjunction with the MER.

Preferable to complications of integrating this heat map into the ingame map system.

1 Like

The same is true of criminals and the crime heat map, but it does inform and it does communicate and it does reassure where crime is low and it does highlight where crime is high and provoke a response from the authorities

1 Like

I would hope Security Team/CCP already identify problem regions internally.

If they made this public (for example in conjunction with MER), if would help players address botting in problem regions, with ingame means.

Many players have indicated they would love to turn wrecking bots into their new meta.

Also helps alliances etc to identify potential botters operating in their own space.

I like the potential!

1 Like

Is there a way to use the new smart NPC to interfere bot activity?

Maybe to build something new complex spaces need to be scanned down, and will send smart NPCs to hunt down player with long acting time. That if a player is really operating their character, she can easily clear the complex and make more income, but for bots, it will be a very different story.

you pay 20 billion isk for a t1 frigate and if caught , claim you fell for a contract scam ā€¦ fortunately ccp doesnā€™t buy this ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  but tell your friend nice try ā€¦

thereā€™s one in this thread ā€¦ and goon policy toward botting is nothing new ā€¦ years back mittani stated re. botting: ā€˜itā€™s not goons job to enforce ccp rulesā€™ ā€¦

ā€œHey guys! Watch this heavily edited video where all context and related statements are removed!ā€

Taxes must flow.

I knew what will be the reaction before this video surfaced.

This is a possibility worth exploring.

However, some bots are heavily tanked, because the botter doesnt really care how long the site takes to complete while they are afk. DPS/yield for better ticks is not really an issue when you arent using your ā€œown timeā€, but the bots time, running the content. They instead care that the bot runs its cycles for as long as possible.

A scaling NPC reaction will thus harm actual active players more than botters.