Dev blog: Update To Recommended Specification

A lot of people systems run 8gb or 16gb of ram, your not seriously suggesting that one eve client is going to consume 16gb of system memory?

2 Likes

Ow, that is a shame. Kinda makes sense, pushing envelope and all that, but it would have been nice. Good to hear there is discussion on it though.

The real question is actually if Eve can use all 16 threads on a Ryzen 7 or if you guys are going off the minimum clocks on the CPU?

3 Likes

Given that you can get similar speed i5 and i7 processors, do we take it that the Eve client can make use of hyperthreading on the i7ā€™s ?

Also 16Gb Ram, future announcementā€¦ could it beā€¦ please say it isā€¦ the fabled HD texture packs?

1 Like

Well i am sticking with my AMD Phenom II x4 965 and my Msi Nvidia GTX 760 for now but i do plan to upgrade the processor sometime soon lol

Have to say the same. And I liked it prior to the Anniversary Update.

My desktop computer required a full reinstall after the Creatorā€™s Update failed. Two work computers (in an office with 11) have had major issues caused by Win 10.

This isnā€™t even getting into the frequent browser hijacking with each major update.

1 Like

I typically have three (the launcher, and two clients, although the launcher is nonessential).

@CCP_Vertex you dealt with this thread really well. Thanks for all the info.

2 Likes

Thanks Keno :slight_smile:

1 Like

Senor Vertex,

I normally donā€™t grammar nazi, but there is a word choice here that could cause you some trouble in the future.

So, like many things in English, there are two words that sound the same but have very different meanings. You used the wrong one, though if the sentence were read out loud nobody would ever knowā€¦

Elude means to escape or dodge. You did not dodge the issue, quite the opposite.

Allude means to imply. So you alluded to an upcoming change by implying it was going to happen and the problem was understood.

And yes, this is insane and makes no logical sense; itā€™s what you get when two or three (depending on perspective) languages all try and make a words-baby over several hundred years.

5 Likes

I also feel he alluded to the fact that someone at CCP has a really nice 27ā€ 5k iMac with the 580 GPU. :star_struck:

CCP is working towards multi core support and working on beefing up the game graphically. Remember it is the recommended amount not minimal.

Sub marine simulatorā€¦ : D

1 Like

@CCP_Vertex Mind sharing the configuration of your (recommended setup) test PC, so we have a blueprint?

1 Like

This recommended setup seems to be rather ridiculous. The 1060 might not be new, but it is still ā€œcurrent genā€. EVE is not a ā€œAAAā€ sucker game and whatever it is that you can code that actually makes use of a 1060, in EVEā€¦ please share that code, because I doubt itā€™d need a 1060.

This recommendation feels incredibly wrong on so many levels. Looking forward to how you are going to make use of (up to) 16 gigs of RAM, btw. Smells like ā€œweā€™re gonna cache the ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of thingsā€ā€¦

Curious. Really curious.

Purely performance optimized code, of course. CCP has a track record of introducing new stuff which is shiny but unnecessarily resource hungry.

BTW, the patch notes list some performance related ā€œoptimizationā€ which scares me, because those ā€œoptimizationā€ in the past always resulted in worse performance on my hardware.

The hint about 16GB is because CCP works on a 64bit client, I guess ā€¦

Top hardware?
You off your meds?

For the 16 GB debate, as CCP recommend Windaube 10, it is mandatory. I would even recommend 24 GB because of my personal experience.

For only one reason : Win 10 commit much more memory for each process than his ancestors, in fact just TOO MUCHā€¦ To play at Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare for exemple (not really a good game, but the best one to make a test), I had to go from 16 GB to 24 GB becauseā€¦ Win 10 commited for him 17/18 GB while he used in reality only 9 GB at his peak of memory comsumption, no joke. I was furious multiple times, as the system always says that nearly half of the memory is available, but nothing remains because of commited memory. So I got many memory alerts/crashs while gaming at it. Windows 7 in the other hand commited 11 GB with the same peak for the same game, and so obliously was stable.

Win 10 has a terrible memory management, just unacceptable coming from a company with decades of experience and with so much staffā€¦ So I am expecting several anger posts in this forum if CCP dare try to use more RAM than before, and for a time, because of Microsoft fault. I seriously hope that they will take it in consideration, but I doubtā€¦

Another subject, I still have the impression than low graphics settings with the old engine (so many years ago, yes) gave a better graphics experience than the actual one. Maybe I am wrong, but honestly with shaders at low, the station insides look terrible, ship are too much blurry even when zoomed inā€¦ I wonder if something can be done about that while keeping the same power requirement, because a player with a low-end computer can be demotivated by seeing thisā€¦

Request: Eve Online OS.

My dyslexia strikes again, thanks for the feedback! :slight_smile:

2 Likes