Dev blog: Update To Recommended Specification

With the arrival of EVE Online: Into The Abyss next week, the recommended system requirements for EVE Online will be changing.

Check out this dev blog for more information on new recommended requirements as of the release of the summer expansion on May 29th, 2018.

2 Likes

Whew! Had a mini heart attack there!
Please dont forget about us low end guys!

5 Likes

Let me get this right. The new minimum specs are if you want to experience Abyssal space environments not everything else that is EvE

2 Likes

If the new effects are propagated to the rest, it will be for whole EvE… soon.

So in short, we can’t get the performance right, but love our gimmicks, so we have to recommend using top hardware in last minute before release.

3 Likes

The minimum specification remains unchanged, we are updating the recommended system specifications for the best experience taking both visuals and performance into account. The mention of environments within Abyssal Deadspace is merely an example of how we’re improving the visuals part of the reason we’re updating the recommended specification.

3 Likes

System specifications for EVE are not feature dependent, so yes this is for the entire game.

Performance remains one of the pillars of our decision making process and I assure you a lot of time and effort has been put into the performance testing of the game client. That being said, as we evolve the visuals we must also keep up with modern hardware trends and we want to ensure we make use of the hardware that is available.

Given that we haven’t updated the system specifications since July 2013, it was time to revisit this.

3 Likes

Don’t worry we always ensure to test lower end hardware and have performance intensive visuals tied to the graphics settings so you can always lower the visual quality to increase client performance based on your system capabilities.

2 Likes

DX9 End of Support when? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

On a serious note, why is there such a gap between Minimal requirements (potato specs, barely enough for comfortable Internet browsing, not even EVE) and new Recommended.
Can EVE even utilize those 16Gigs of RAM efficiently? :thinking:

3 Likes

Any changes in relation to options for performance optimisation as currently available through the client settings?

1 Like

As long as Windows 7 works and I can downgrade the graphics, then I’m not worried.

2 Likes

Can we address the OSX client instability issue? I meet all the minimum and recommended system requirements - yet I’m still experiencing random crashes every 30-45 minutes. Apparently this is due to the way Wine utilizes GPU memory in that it causes an overflow when docking, undocking or transiting systems through jump gates.

4 Likes

@CCP_Vertex

Did you guys make sure to really test these changes out on wine for Mac? Or just pull some numbers out of your …

The CCP wine version hasn’t changed in months. CCP-Master is wine-2.22-144-g202e31-ccp-master-117
The Winehq-master is wine-3.8-128-g8e9ea7a-winehq-master-268. There might be some typos in the wine names, but that doesn’t matter you guys are way behind.

CCP has a history of saying something and never completing it. So to me, you (CCP) saying you (CCP) tested the game, is straight up hog ■■■■. From the looks of it, you tested it on a windows machine, and then copied and pasted for the Mac. Don’t treat us like we are stupid, please. It doesn’t help you guys out at all.

xoxo
TheGream

edit: PS. why the heck do we now need 16GB of ram, did you guys finally get EVE to be 64bit over some crappy 32bit?

2 Likes

The sun setting of DX9 is very much on my team’s radar and although it is a slow process, we are making progress towards this becoming a reality in the not too distant future. Believe me when I say that we do not want to support DX9 is we can help it, we would much rather focus our efforts on more innovative and modern technologies.

Regarding the game between minimum and recommended, it is actually quite simple. The minimum specification is literally the absolute minimum required to make the client run based on the hardware feature level and capabilities. It will not run well but it will run, it is also worth noting than not a single user has the worst-case minimum specification, everyone is above this in varying degrees. It serves as a ‘worst case’ scenario for our testing and platform support.

Regarding utilizing 16GBs… there will be news on that in the coming future :wink:

2 Likes

Sadly not for this release, however there is discussion and thoughts being put behind a settings menu revamp and as the very least I can see us looking into a new ‘environment’ graphic setting sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Hi Arthur,

This is an issue we’ve spent some time investigating and the solution has remained elusive, however we have one project that is very close to completion that we are hoping will resolve or at least lessen the occurrence of the memory management issues on Mac. I cant give you a definitive timeline but I can say that we’re likely able to test this theory in the next month.

1 Like

@CCP_Vertex I appreciate the update, thanks. Is there any way I can get in on this testing? I’d gladly put in whatever time is required to help find a solution for this.

2 Likes

Hi Amarisen,

We do indeed really test these changes which includes the Mac platform. The Wine version is being updated currently as part of another project which I eluded to in previous comments.

I’m sorry you feel that way but I assure you that we cover the Mac alongside all Windows performance analysis. The reality is that of course the system specifications are different and the applications are different so performance will not be matched 1 for 1.

1 Like

There will be a dev-blog announcing the changes and when that is done we’ll specify when everyone will be able to take a look on the Singularity Test server environment. Just keep an eye out for the next dev-blog from me and we’d love to hear from you if you still encounter issues at that point.

1 Like

Thank your for your reply. At least here we seem to get a quick reply. A lot of us have been chatting in the Mac section of the forums to hear nothing for months from any Dev. about the issue we have.

I would like to point out one other thing…

Lets look at your recommended requirements and see which Mac computer has those… You shouldn’t have to look to hard, because all you should have to do is see which machine has your recommended GPU.

DRUM ROLL PLEASE…

Only one computer in all of Apple’s line up (not looking at the iMac Pro and the Mac Pro) meet the requirements and it still has to have a $200 ram upgrade. That computer alone without the upgrade is nearly $2300. The total build is close to $2600. Now it does come with a 5k monitor which looks AMAZING, so thats a plus.

Would CCP be able to provide a chart of their performance testing with different configs? I think that would help, and I would say it would be a nice thing to provide anytime you all do a major update - so people can get more of an idea of where their computer set up will sit within the testing realm of CCP.

My config:

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012)
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB

1 Like

I also had an heart attack with those 16Gb RAM because my laptop have only 4RAM loool

4 Likes