Devblog - New Year Security Update!

teamsecurity
devblog
official

(Arrendis) #41

Yeah, I mean, don’t get me wrong, I want botters and RMTers gone, and I’d love more interactive, engaging gameplay being the norm, but… it’s mining. If you’ve got some barges around with combat drones on aggressive, rats aren’t an issue. And there’s a threshold limit between ‘this level of interaction is engaging’ and ‘this level is monotonous and tedious and GDI why do I have a second job where I pay them every month?’

…and let’s face it, most PvE in EVE is already waaaay too close to the second. They’ve been working on it, yeah, but…

(Nolak Ataru) #42

I can think of no faster way to kill mining than to implement a captcha…

(shaun 27) #43

Better way is to make it more dangerous add advanced ai npcs. You want that ore your have to work for it.

(Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci) #44

We’re super happy to announce that there’s now more Police SKINs available in the New Eden Store as of downtime today, and in celebration of nailing more than 600 accounts to the wall that were actively using illegal client modification, they’re available of two of the ships most widely used by these scumbags who like to engage in botting - the Nyx and Vexor.

Digging this bit - keep up the good work~ :police_car::sparkles:

(Arrendis) #45

‘advanced ai NPCs’ won’t mean a damned thing. It’ll just mean ‘oh, look, more defensive drones’. What rats do you think are going to be in highsec that would really threaten, say, 2-3 orcas and a small cloud of jetcanning skiffs?

(Shaftmaster Mastershafts) #46

CCP summoned him…

(HugoRich) #47

cum in

(Mala Zvitorepka) #48

It started as that. People came back, saw they can’t really play and ditched the game again.
The problem of heavily restricted alphas would be decline in player numbers. Gating just stuff people automate and/or do AFK would be better from that perspective.

So, added alpha limitations:
1.) Restrict drones to passive.
2.) No lvl3/4 hauling missions.
3.) No miner re-activation upon completing the cycle.
4.) (hopefully general) changes to FW??

That should remove the biggest AFK money streams for alphas. Sure, this doesn’t fix omega botting, but at least there banning is a few euros loss.

(Arrendis) #49

It’s cute that you think any of those are ‘the biggest AFK money streams’.

(Xan Staraider) #50

I think what we need is more ganking. Time to roll back some of the nerfs CCP. Let us do what needs to be done (like we’ve been doing for the last 7 years).

(Wanda Fayne) #51

The FOB rat patrols kill them routinely :wink:
for example:

You likely don’t spend much time in HS…

(Cassandra Ix) #52

How do i report RMT. Am i meant to raise a support ticket?

(Wanda Fayne) #53

Well done!

Keep the pressure on and the security updates coming. The ‘culture’ of botting being publicly scorned goes a long way in the community to help combat this scourge.

(zluq zabaa) #54

Thanks for the Update, much appreciated!

Regarding the courier missions and possibly missions in general, I think it would be a good step to limit Alphas to Level 3. If there is a way to reduce the income of Alphas in Faction Warfare, that could be a good step too. I’m thinking maybe 50% of the regular LP payouts.

Also, it’d be actually nice to name and shame those that have been banned. Not because it would be much fun to point the finger at “asdfasdf Ellecon” and other such creative names, but because it would help us learn if bots we reported got banned. Kind of a feedback loop, that allows players to learn wether they positively identified a botter.

Also, kudos to the law department for targeting RMT where the sales are happening.

I have a few questions @CCP_Falcon

1. Other than courier missions and FW, what are other areas in which you regularly encounter Alpha botting? Would it, for instance, make sense to specifically limit Drone Interfacing to III and Heavy Drone Operation to II or III on Alphas?

2. Of those who were caught botting, how many were “pure” bots vs. players who also employ automation?

3. What happens to those banned for botting and RMT? Are they still only banned for a couple of days or did you increase the timeout?

4. How much ISK and in-game assets were seized? Did any botted ISK go into corporation or alliance wallets and if so, was that taken away as well?

Thanks!

(Arrendis) #55

You likely don’t actually take the time to do research on your claims.

The only skiffs I’m seeing were solo skiffs, with no support at all. That’s a far cry from ‘2-3 orcas and a small cloud of jetcanning skiffs’.

(Kazka Bandit) #56

Most importantly, if you see botting and RMT happening – REPORT IT.

While we don’t respond to every individual report of botting or RMT, they’re all taken 100% seriously, and are thoroughly investigated for credibility.

After reporting many RMT related violations in the past, I’m starting to seriously doubt this is true and matters at all. All those reported sites and characters are still there and alive for years. And the worst part? Feedback from Team Security is non-existent. Not even automated response, like those we receive in support system. Was report even received or landed into trash folder? No one knows.

You can help keep your accounts secure by using 2FA on both your email and your EVE Online account and reduce the risk of becoming a victim of account hacking.

Maybe it’s about time to implement some incentives to more actively and forcefully attract people to 2FA?
Why not hide login campaigns and rewards behind 2FA protection? Players will do a lot for free stuff.

(Wanda Fayne) #57

Not many people jetcan with skiffs and orcas in HS :wink:
Point of rebuttal is that they can and do kill those ships regularly.

Hard to track the Blood Raiders as the FOB rats are compiled in the same BR NPC corp.

(Daichi Yamato) #58

Genuine alphas shouldn’t be locked out of level 4’s.

They are interesting to run in groups of alphas.

Same again. Genuine alphas use fw to learn pvp.

(Azi Zambooruk) #59

Please do not remove courier missions, as suggested by some, they are invaluable for trader/industrial omega alts to increase their corporation and faction ratings and give a bonus of ISK rewards while grinding through them.
If Alpha bots are abusing Level 4 missions for ISK and I do read plenty of complaints, then the highest level of rewards could be restricted to omega accounts. You need to be omega anyway to train the advanced trade and industry skills.

(Prof Fate) #61

Could not agree more. As someone who has been playing Eve since it was in beta, courier missions have a value to many players and their corporations.