Devblog: Skills On Demand - Changes Coming To The Skill System!

Too true.

My CEO was fortunate to be able to ask a CCP dev about this a few years ago at a gathering and she said that this kind of information wouldn’t be made available.

That was a very frustrating response. What’s the point of a ACL for market access if you can’t see who the fraudsters are?

It wouldn’t be so bad if there were separate ACL’s for buying and selling.

Too much to dream of?

Doesn’t help when someone lists an adaptive invulnerability module for 1 billion ISK and you want to figure out who they are without validating their gameplay choices.

1 Like

When its possible to create a contract from a stack of 300 items so they are created on demand one at a time, then this would be a valid option.

it will be more than 25%

I consider the cost of capital class books acceptable. there is no need to change anything. I would even raise books for dreadnoughts by ~100 million. People who know how to farm in a game, just have to work hard for one or two weeks, for books that will remain in his head forever.

In addition to my protest against these changes (sorry but i just love this game), I will add:

1. For many players in this game, deception and punishment of other players for inattention, such as by placing orders with sky-high prices for simple goods, including books, is a separate role-playing that you are about to break.

2. Unusual and not peculiar to other games trivia, such as buying books at special stations - highlight your game only for the better. It is not necessary to simplify anything, except for very critical (! really critical !) things and even add more interesting difficulties for thuse who see every aspect of this game from the beginning and starts to feels bored.
    Once again I say, please, make a normal tutorial, make them bright, impressive, beautiful, informative as possible like for children, make it like a holywood movie, where some a beginner pokes his finger in every tiny but very brightly and boldly lit nuance and says “Wow! How entertaining! I got it!”, even sometimes almost blocking UI controls and draw the arrows, draw a circle around every detail in the interface that new player needs to make attension, call for tutorials voice acting Edward James’s Olmos, Tricia Helfer, Michael Hogan.

3. Do not remove the nuances that affect the game and the players for a very long time and have grown together with them into a single whole organism. Players have long created over everything that has long been in the game an entire ecosystem of unique interactions. Inhale (Yes, inhale exactly) the meaning, the interplay of the plot, inhale the emotions, ithale the soul in every boring or not so aspect of the game, but do not destroy it completely. It is much more interesting to give a new meaning to mechanics that are little bit annoying and incomprehensible than to delete it completely. Enclose trips for books in the framework of a certain plot sense, make this mechanic important, give it a flavor.

4. You want to bribe new players with something, it is not necessary to make the game easy as semolina. You can always on the contrary, competently “tighten the screws” and release the T-shirts with the logo of the game and the words “space is not for wimps”. Many will buy into this because of challenge.

1 Like

I don’t get why people say this will remove complexity from the game.

Something that you NEED to do and that takes lots of actions/time is not complex, it is tedious.
Something that you CAN do or have a trade-off for time/price for the same result IS complex.

This modification will add complexity to the game, by giving players the choice to do something tedious or to pay more and get it fast.

3 Likes

If each developer every time listened to very lazy people, then all interesting games would long ago have turned into rubbish and ruins. We say that this is a really interesting mechanic and only a very strong player’s laziness can make him cry about what he needs to do from 2 to 40 jumps for the next batch of skill-books. This is not the fault of the mechanics, this is the lazy player’s fault. The problem is solved simply:

1. You live in wormholes - scan the exit in to high-sec and fly and pick up the books.
  2. You live in 0.0 / low-sec - ask your friends to bring books or bring the books by an alternative character.
  3. You are at war - bring books with an alternative character or ask a friend to bring / help.
  4. You are lazy - ask a friend to bring.
  5. You have no friends - make friends or bear.
  6. You do not have an alternative character - get an alternative character.
  7. You do not know how to scan the exit from Wormhole or fly past the camps - learn how to scan by probes and how to live in 0.0 / low-sec.
  8. You are too lazy - do not play this game, play casual games.
  9. You do not want to risk and do not want to make friends and alternative characters - why do you play this game and why you are going to break it for others with your infantile and almost destructive temper?
  10. You invited a friend - buy him a lot of books in advance
  11. You want to help the player - buy him many books in advance
  12. You already know that at the beginning of the game, books should be bought very often - buy them in advance all at once!

I think everyone noticed that from the above, there are many interesting interactions between players, even around simple basic skill books?

3 Likes

no there is not.
It’s very rare to need the skillbooks for a player after the initial learning phase . Just because you enumerate 1000 way to interact with people when buying skillbook, does not mean those interaction are better than without those skillbooks.

1 Like

I’ve said it repeatedly, no it’s not a major part of the meta game, rather it was a small reason to undock and move around. There are less and less reasons to undock these days. Look what they did to mining. Nobody in their right mind belt mines any more - you only moon mine. If your moon is not up you don’t mine. These
Skill changes are just another short sighted change that keeps people docked. Eve as
Pvp game depends on people moving around. Give people less reason to move around and that directly hurts pvp. Sure this is only a small nick, but that’s what ccp has been doing. Lots of small nicks and look where we are - empty systems and concurrent log ins that haven’t been seen in ten years.

1 Like

Lazy.

if it’s so hard for you to fly and buy books for yourself, then why didn’t you buy them all at once and forget about them once and for all like a about bad dream? I see absolutely no difficulties in this, but only advantages. Personally, I am pleased to help buy books to a friend who plays only a week. Flying for a new book, such as Caldari Drednaunt is a whole pleasant achievement. Buying something new, something you have reached by skill-training, even if it is a book, is a pleasant phenomenon, a nice little thing for me.

1 Like

It can be 200% and no one would still care.

Instant access > Everything else.
The pay 2 win model of games.

If you buy diamonds you can instantly finish this building.
If you pay more isk you can instantly have this skillbook.

Just wait until some of theese instant features will be available for PLEX. Oh well they are indirectly. As you can turn PLEX into ISK.

1 Like

There are interactions. They are about as interesting as a telemarketer calling your house during dinner.

2 Likes

I’d prefer the telemarketer tbh, at least you can mess with them when your bored

1 Like

That’s not pay to win. That’s paying for convenience. Pay to win is when the developer provides gear and bonuses that are absolutely essential and that can only be gotten through real money transactions.

There is no reason to monetize stuff like this because it’s already built into EVE’s current monetization system.

You can keep telling that to urself and others that wont cahnge anything about what it is and where it is heading. You can call it “Convenience” all you want.

As i could call speeding up building times in browser games from diamond “Convenience” that wont stop it being what it is.

1 Like

So if you believe that then why are you having a pass over the prices? Are you making them more expensive ?

These are very welcome changes. What I would love to see is the ability to buy and train skills based on my ship fitting.

For example I want to fly a fitted rorqual with all the mods I want and the drones
I should be able to select somewhere in fitting menu the ability to buy and/or train skills based on that fit.

Because that’s the issue for me having to check all the skills need can be a pain.

The current client got this feature in the ship fitting window. If you dont have all the skills and hover over the small X in the Upper Left corner right above ur rig slots. You will have an option to buy all missing books.

1 Like

Put that in the appropriate topic

Because I don’t buy skill books I don’t intend to train.

And I did not say it’s hard, I said it’s tedious. Please don’t distort what I said.

You can also give isks to friends, they won’t mind I guess.

or through a inhuman grind. The keyword is that those features are essential to the enjoyment of the game - or give you an unfair advantage agaisnt people who decided they don’t want / can’t pay for this.

Yes, it changes what it is. It is not pay to win.