Devblog: Update On Chat System Issues

devblog
official

(Vroqnex) #8

- If our current efforts do not yield positive results by the end of January, we’ll begin the process of investigating the reinstatement of the original chat back end, which despite its future limitations, served New Eden reliably in the past.

Thank you for realizing “The Cloud” is not the solution for EVE Online. This will be one of many steps in putting EVE back to greatness.

• Proud supporter of the “Bring EVE back to Iceland” campaign.

(Gaius Mileghere) #9

I think the new chat engine is behind the constant disconnections* I’m seeing every time I finish a combat site… sometimes, in the middle of the site! And more often than not, following the destruction of a structure or immediately upon conclusion of a fleet engagement.

I mean, call it a minor inconvenience, but so far it’s cost me nine ships, one of which I actually bothered to ticket.

*the disconnections started last March when the new chat system was onlined. Happy coincidence? Not even a bare client reinstall fixed it.

(SportBilly) #10

So finally i will be able to right click and add people to an existing player chat channel?

Does this also have anything to do do with issues with the sound effects with certain ships that also hasn’t been resolved?

(Mizhara Del'thul) #11

'bout damn time.

It’s starting to get a bit ridiculous having three different local counts on three different clients in the same system. Spending fifteen-twenty minutes trying to nail down a war target only to discover they’ve been offline for half an hour, etc.

(Circumstantial Evidence) #12

How much work would it be for CCP to create its own separate chat servers based on the “future-proof” concepts used by the large and scalable chat service it is currently outsourcing?

(Vollhov Jr) #13

It is a pity that the screenshot from the asteroid belt.
Can you return the “asteroid environment” in the mission and in combat complex ? So that I could again make beautiful screenshots for memory: EvE Screenshots

What about the chat.
Don’t expect anything good.

(Steve Ronuken) #14

You know Eve is run out of a data center near London, right?

(Mizhara Del'thul) #15

The chat system is not though, is it? I think that’s his point.

(Mistress Renegade) #16

Thanks for at-least trying to improve Eve, it’s a great game that i love. However why has it taken months for communication on this to reach us? I thought communication was going to improve at CCP.

“Finding a fast, effective and permanent resolution to these issues is now a top priority for the development team.”

Why is it only “now” a top priority after daily problems and complaints for a long time. Surely this decision should of been made a long time ago.

Also hope these fixes help with the lag and interaction with the market and industry windows though i don’t hold out much hope as no doubt it will be another problem that will get looked at next year at the earliest

(Antigone Lin) #17

http://www.commitstrip.com/en/2019/01/08/the-cloud-at-last/

(Nana Skalski) #18

They have comunicated that they are working on it.
That was probably only some guy in basement working on it in spare time after working in kitchen, and after 9 months paternity leave. Imagine that now cooking will be outsourced to polish immigrant so that CCP can work on chat full time.

(mkint) #19

This is what I don’t get… chat is one of the very first internet technologies invented. Shouldn’t CCP be completely humiliated that they couldn’t figure it out? That they’re having to devote their whole company to software that a highschooler should be able to write?

(Nana Skalski) #20

Nevermind, dont know how taht education system works anyway…

(Caleb Seremshur) #21

CCP are catering to botters and afk rorquals. They brought this old chat system back because load has not increased, there is not that many less/more players than before. All they did was shoot their PCU in the foot by making something that krabs couldn’t rely on for their TOS violating behaviours to exploit.

But the longer you stick around the more stupidity you hear about, things like relic bots using code injection to memory to make the client-side relic minigame complete automatically, data scrapers which reveal everything about the ship you fly to anyone looking, broadcasting, PANIC as a mechanic, so much more.

And then these hack frauds lie through the teeth about rebalancing things left neglected for a decade, finally modifying rocks to shrink when mined, finally admitting they need to finish module tiericide, finally admitting local being broken costing them the bottom line thanks to losing botters.

I hate to quote someone from WoW but who exactly will be getting a pat on the back in EVE for winning a game no one plays because undocking to roam yields nothing but botters?

(12 Volts) #22

Don’t forget thanking ccp for all the AFK Orca’s in Hi now - remove mining drones from Orcas and Rorquals there boosting ships NOT mining Ships

(zluq zabaa) #23

I vaguely remember them outsourcing the chat. If this is the case, they’d be running an interface or a number of interfaces between Server, Client and 3rd party chat server. A couple sources of error plus problems with DDoS protection employed by the 3rd party partner. Everyone claims it’s not on their end et cetera. I can see a lot of things going wrong there. Of course, if I got it wrong and they simply switched from one chat protocol to the other… well then they might have created a use case that wasn’t envisioned and they found that it’s probably easier to re-invent for yourself rather than trying to make a horse behave like a cat.

(Arrendis) #24

Yes, trying to address problems in a chat system that randomly disconnects local on one of three clients in the same system, shows people who aren’t really there on a second, and doesn’t show everyone who is on the third, that’s really catering to the botters. God knows that nobody else would ever want to have the chat system actually work.

(Buoytender Bob) #25

Good decision. Now the janitor can stop trying to fix the broken chat system and return back to his primary job…helping rid EVE of bots.

(Furoth) #26

I’m sure that whatever 3rd party servers they were using is what has messed up EvE chat. At least the rumor is that they are hosted by someone else. I don’t think they will be able to fix that because they do not control the servers. Considering that the old system worked perfectly I know CCP can make a chat system that works, so I believe it’s a 3rd party who messed it up. We will probably see the old system return.

And so what. 10 months is long enough to say “We tried but XMPP simply does not work for EvE”. if it can’t be done in 10 months then it can’t be done because XMPP does not work as sold or whoever is selling it to you cannot handle the traffic. Either way, someone at CCP didn’t get what was promised to them and the chat was messed up because of it. Stick with what works and don’t worry about it.

(Circumstantial Evidence) #27

The original dev blog