Devblog: War Declaration Changes - The War Adjacent to Christmas

I’m not so sure. And if you do a survey, i doubt people will be honest.

The people that didn’t come back might just think they’ll be decced again if they did come back.

But if getting decced makes you quit, what will ganking do? Will they ever leave hi-sec? Because if they don’t, apparently 80% of them quit anyways.

So yeah. Can’t wait to see the effect or lack of this will have on retention.

And regards to giving players clear choice on how eligible they are, what was wrong with social corps?

1 Like

tbh I’d consider using the wardec system to kill freighters as a good thing, but honestly it’s probably not very consistent.

well now we should see a pretty good a/b test on the issue and we’ll find out if they stay or not.

2 Likes

Dude, the two people in here who’ve pointed out the ‘this removes consequences’ are about as far from that crowd as you’ll ever find. You are, in fact, knee-jerking on the motivations you’re assigning there.

Yes, obviously CCP needs to find ways to stop the predatory wardecs from driving people out of the game. But there’s a legitimate issue in the point that this allows people to do things to other players without consequence, and without counterplay.

If it’s a stopgap, that’s fine. If structure ownership and ‘there’s a whole class of people you can’t hit back at when they’re a dick to you’ is the cornerstone of the new wardec system, though… all you’re going to see is the predatory wardec groups will be those dicks. The people driving people to leave the game out of frustration will just frustrate people with this system.

There are valid concerns being raised. Listen to them.

5 Likes

You read the post or just skim over the part that says more is coming?

1 Like

Folks figure out pretty quickly that they should keep their freighters in an NPC corporation, today, to avoid just this.

1 Like

Please, tell me again how you don’t use war decs to kill shuttles and freighters.

When you don’t log in to play an MMO for a week, you start doing other things. Playing other games, trying other stuff. Soon, you forget to log in. Then you don’t forget, you just don’t bother. The best way to keep people playing EVE is to ensure that they keep playing EVE. The meta with war decs for groups who don’t want to PvP is to log off for the week. That’s not a good game mechanic, and it costs CCP money.

You can keep saying “knee-jerk” all you want, but if you’d been paying attention to this debate, you’d recognize that this solution has been suggested and advocated for as long as upwell structures have been in the game.

6 Likes

I don’t understand what you’re trying to say. Your corp info shows exactly which wars are active, pending and finished. If you go on the info of the enemy, it also shows who they are at war with.

1 Like

I know that more is coming for months. I said the same thing back when CCP fantasized about this band-aid for the first time. It is not a good solution, it is not a good approach, it is not solving anything.

2 Likes

And this is different how? Literally other than being able to call yourself a corp and keep your taxes this is equal to being in an npc corp …

1 Like

And this change does not help there at all. Instead of useless band-aids, which are in fact knee-jerks regardless of how long CCP tinkers with it, they should have worked on a comprehensive solution and not feed everyone off with hopes for next year.

Furthermore, people should also get educated more on how to deal with wars. You do not have to give up your socializing under a war at all, even if you leave your corp for a week.

A fallacy. That problem has been lingering for over a decade and no one cared. There was no “immediate” need for a band-aid. A couple more weeks/months don’t change a thing.
Instead, now people are going to lose their structures and will be singled out for their structures, while big bot groups and bot-aspirant groups can go after their business even more immune to interaction.

3 Likes

That’s the thing – the upcoming change, essentially, changes nothing. Players who have enough guile were already insulating themselves from wardecs. After the change, they can affect the same situation that they have today, and still be in a player-run corporation at the end of the day. This is a good thing.

In a perfect world, I would agree. But it was clear that something needed to be done immediately while a larger fix was developed and implemented. This was the most common theme in all the proposals for fixing war decs, so it makes sense it gets used as the band aid.

3 Likes

I read and listen to everything, Arrendis, and nobody is suggesting that this be the end of the fix. I’ve said as much multiple times.

2 Likes

This creates options to actually play the game in high sec, grow a corp to at least some size solves a number of things that will keep people playing the game. The longer they play the better, for all of us

4 Likes

Say you are war dec’d by RIOT. They have like 100 wars. If you’d want to engage them it is hard to tell who would show up at war with them as an ally or an war target. You have to have someone comb through all their wars as sometimes they are the defender, aggressor, and an ally of other wars. And sometimes those war overlap with other high-sec merc groups that you can use to feed intel to help show up at times against them. But it is hard to tell quickly and you have to constantly go through the list because they end wars and start more wars and join more wars regularly.

Another fallacy. People can already grow large corps without any problems in high sec. A number of big corps and alliances in high sec demonstrate that. What is needed is more education of people instead of pampering them.

2 Likes

This doesn’t work. People cannot be educated; it is simply not how humans work, at scale. They have to be shepherded.

3 Likes

Any change that includes the structure component would need to have either A) structures be so essential to EVE gameplay that even the smallest one-person corporations would be shooting themselves in the foot not to have one (in their own corp, rather than an alt or public one), or B) they still include some means to declare war (if a more limited one) on structure-less people.

No one in EVE should be able to expect perfect immunity.

Really, though, the problem with most structure-based proposals is that they come at the problem from the wrong angle. The issue has never been in how wars were declared (except the inability to war dec people in NPC corps, and maybe in how many corps you could dec simultaneously), but in how wars could be fought and ended (or rather, the lack thereof). Valid counterplay is what was lacking. Players log off/dock and stay logged off/docked because blueballing until the deccer grows bored and ends the war themselves was the only real “tactic” that people had to end an undesired war.

4 Likes

This is literally what they are doing - a comprehensive solution.

You can’t force somebody to do something they don’t want to do. Most players don’t want to drop corp to keep playing.

It’s not a fallacy. I don’t think CCP realized the depth of the problem until they started looking at the data. Like I said, they could have completely justified turning the entire system off until they could do the revamp. They didn’t do that.

Every time CCP makes an iteration, the exact same thing is said by folks: “do nothing until you can fix the entire problem at once.” That’s a recipe for doing nothing. Always is and always has been.

9 Likes

Only CCP is to blame for that. They kept ignoring the issue for the better part of the last decade despite people telling them over and over and over to change something. You do not need data to figure out how problematic the situation is. And now all of the sudden it turns into an issue to provide a band-aid. For the better part of 10 years CCP could and should have done something. Not our demands are the receipt for “nothing happening”, it is CCP’s own incompetence.

1 Like