Devblog: War Declaration Changes - The War Adjacent to Christmas

Bring back OGB. :+1:

I feel like we’ve already had this. NPC corps vs player corps. And did we find people prepared to risk wardecs in order to benefit from being in a player corp?

Yes we did. But they still whined. And it still resulted in a ‘problem’ with retention.

All we’re doing is moving the goal posts. Make structures as attractive as player corps were, and people will want them but without the risk of wardecs. Then they will cry all over again.

What would you say to a noob who puts up a structure in his first week of playing the game, gets decced and cries on the forums? Probably the same thing we’ve been telling noobs that start their own corp on the first week.

Or you could tell me why it’s going to be different this time.

We don’t need them tied to structures for that. Heck you didn’t even need to be in a corp for that.

Colour me skeptical.

The same people who join a corp and complain about being decced will be the same people who put down a structure and complain about being decced.

Meanwhile wardec corps are getting bigger and fewer and more blue to eachother. Just the way noob corps like it right?

1 Like

I swear i read it all, it’s nice to see interest in wars, indipendently if i agree or not.

Just a question to start: are our beloved new players safe yet? :slight_smile:
Wasnt that all about?

I see such a need for war objectives, please spare us. Whatever mechanic you chose as target for attackers and defenders will surely be boring and probably easy to evade/exploit for both sides.

How about the original idea i proposed of a financial tax/ mining/ industry/ trading reward for who flag himself and face the risk?
There you go your objective, in a simple rule, that is very sandbox friendly and doesnt bring boredom. Restauration of risk vs reward is what the war system lacks, mechanics come after.
The defender has an incentive to take the risk, the attacker a probably better opponent that has something to defend, his ability to make isk.
Dont want to tale a risk? Stay in noob or social corps which are not elegible, but accept that you will have less reward. This can be easily tuned to make so that new players arent affected in their ability to make isk ( tax progressing with char age, limitations to mining ship classes that wont affect ventures anyway, and so on… unless you want to inject to riches, in which case you already have enough iskd probably).

Then later tune the mechanics. Locator for structures? Ok, let’s give it a try.
Let’s discuss mechanics, but after fixing risk/reward. It might be that this alone would fix wars, or at least their perception. No one go to forums to complain about being blowed in low sec or null: they knew rewards were worth the risk. Two tier of income in high sec , linked to war elegibility, would balance most issues, especially perceived ones.

P.s. If the only solution a corp leader can provide to his mates is to log off a week in case of wardec, then thid leader would be better going learn the rooes. Evaiding deks it’s easy imho. Dont forget modt dekking ppl has carebearing alts, so trudt me if i say that :))

They’ve always been safe

It’s always been older players that cried about the mechanics, since they lacked the leadership to make said newbros do great things.

This is just a bandaid, so we’ll see what the future brings

These changes has made it common for the defenders to just start taking down their structures right after they get war dec’d. I’ve had a few wars now I’m in a race against time because they would strip the structures and start the timer to take them down. I’ve seen billions of dollars of tech2 rigs just destroyed rather then defended. This is the strangest war tactic yet.

What changes are you referring to? It has always been possible to strip a structure prior to the war. The unanchoring timer is a week, however, and is unlikely to complete before you can reinforce it.

If the defender has reason to believe they will lose the structure, then it is prudent, though unsatisfying, for them to make the structure as unattractive target as possible. Better to lose the rigs than the whole structure, or better to have a cheaper kill on your killboard if you will lose the whole structure.

Either way, though, you’ve inflicted billions of isk in damage to your target, and you don’t even have to do anything. Once the war goes live, shooting the structure once will freeze the fit if you can score any damage. Reinforcing it will cancel any unanchoring timer and see to it the fit sticks until the structure repairs itself, or it is unanchored by weapons fire.

So basically you are saying, you better have a plan to attack something if you declare a war?

Sounds like working as intended to me.

Indeed it’s happening… The cause is clear to me. They prefer easy farm than take the risk to war a prepared and strong corp. Ironic don’t?

Irrelevant.

Just becuase you’re easy to kick around doesn’t mean you should be left to mine and manufacturing 24/7.

Carebears choose to farm pve because it’s easy and risk free rather than learn to defend themselves. Choosing easy targets is the nature of predators. Don’t get salty about, become tougher prey or reduce your exposure.

1 Like

I agree, I’m tired to say I don’t care about AFK miners being ganked. I just say the truth be spoken. There are corps that live by farming new or dumb players, and a few of them actually engage in a real challenge

It’s called: laws of nature

The strong prey on the weak, like it’s been happening since the beginning of time…

1 Like

Or you know, it’s a natural process because CCP has designed highsec in such a way that larger co-operation is actually punished by a number of game mechanics, and there aren’t any significant rewards to it. There could be a totally different design for industrials that would almost be more EVE than the current one which would encourage co-operation a lot more.

Lets not pretend that game design doesn’t have a massive impact on how people group up or don’t group up.
Or on how well a group can defend themselves.

1 Like

If you like hunting , take your gun and do it. Eve is much more complex than that. And since man created guns that rule has much exceptions

I do have to note that a majority of the socalled pvp corporations in high sec are bigger carebears than the mission runners / miners they dec.

2 Likes

You likely have a different definition of carebear to me. But many wardeccers wont take a fair fight, ill say that much. But they don’t have to.

Shoot their structures in that case.

1 Like

Carebear is someone who tries to avoid any form of risk as much as possible.

And let’s face it. In most cases it’s the wardeccing corp which avoids the risk more than the socalled indy corp they decced.
And also most of those small wardec corps don’t go for any structures, they only do a load of decs for the remote chance of an easy gank every so many decs.

2 Likes

Lol no. You’re just bitter at decs.

They will try to gain any advantage in a fight, and that’s exactly what the defenders should do as well. Doing so doesn’t make you a carebear. It’s just smart.

A carebear to me, is someone who thinks they should be exempt from pvp. Who thinks they should get all the benefits of industry and pve without exposure to pvp.

1 Like

And that is where we differ in opinion.

But I know in advance that any reasoning from my side will be smurked at, ridiculed etc I am not even going to try to look at it all from each point objectivly.

1 Like

Getting upset about unfair fights shows a fundamental lack of understanding of how the pvp sandbox works. See eves golden rules.

Whomever gets wardecced, does so because they put themselves in a position to be decced. They told the game they were willing to take the risk. And it’s only getting harder to put yourself in a position to be decced, so if people are still complaining about how they end up decced against big war groups or that big war groups only dec small corps, they’ve only got the defenders to blame.

1 Like

Yet it’s in many cases in High Sec where it is actually the one doing the wardec is the most risk averse player.
As soon as i mentioned to add a locator agent for a corporation that gets decced to locate the nearest structure of the agressor, so incase it’s one of the gazillion pvp wannabe carebears. the socalled pvp community almost got a fit.
The arguments like “This won’t make any indy / missionrunner corp actually fight” or “this would be an unfair advantage” were intermixed with LOL fests and Nubcake bravado’s.
Yet i find it odd that when I want to locate a specific pilot there isn’t really that much difficulty to get his location anywhere in Empire, unless they are docked up in an Upwell.
But in this heavily regulated Empire space, where Concord keeps also track of everything it’s impossible to get the systemname of where a corporation has it’s nearest giant structure in space?

And why would this Indy corp undock if they can hire people who want to fight for them? Or that mission runner corp has friends who would like to step in, just that this hopeless searching most of the time for these socalled pvp elitists is pointless, because CCP in their infinite wisdom handed this gankstyle of play a lot of extra tools so they can continue their style in every which way they want.

On the other side you have the indy and mission runner people who have to adapt completely towards the game style of the wannabe pvp elitists who’s main feat is to have several alpha alts here and there to gank small ships to pass time untill they see at some point one of players from one of the 10 corps they decced in a juicy target.

This isn’t a sandbox, it’s just shooting fish in a barrel over which the shootist has all say and lays down all the rules and the fish aren’t given any real tools like these firearms experts to defend themselves or hire someone who wouldn’t mind some pew pew.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone can honestly say that at least some highsec wardeccers are hyper risk-averse. You don’t get 100-to-1 killboards without minimizing risks and stacking the PvP deck in your favour. But that isn’t the pejorative that many Eve players like to use it as. It may be “cowardly” or “dishonourable” but it is in general smart play, just like all the industrialist and PvE players who go to great lengths and efforts to minimize the risks to themselves.

I do think there should be a major buff to locator agents giving them the ability to both the location of structures, and some information on player/corp activity to compensate for the large impact the watch list had on hunting game play. I will say I don’t expect that would make many targets actually fight back, but it is pretty silly to build a PvP game and not include viable methods to find when your opponents are online or where their stuff is.

This game is absolutely a sandbox. There is nothing preventing you from using the same tactics as the other side. You have maximal freedom to join up with friends, hire muscle, or flee the war entirely. I get that you may just want to farm stuff without risk, but guaranteeing that isn’t what “sandbox” means. You are part of a living, competitive world where the other players might move in on your corner of the sandbox or even smash your sandcastles.

These stop-gap changes are not the final form. Let’s hope CCP comes up with a fun and engaging war system that keeps those that don’t want to compete out of harms way while allowing interesting conflict to go on in highsec. But whatever that final form is, it isn’t going to allow corporations access to structures or all the other perks of being in a competitive corporation - if you want that, you better figure out a way to defend that.

1 Like