Devblog: War Declaration Changes - The War Adjacent to Christmas

I remember when I started in November of '08 and people were saying this.

As far as the issue of being able to see the attackers structures, they should give you a list of everything that isn’t in a wormhole in your corp tab. Concord keep tabs of everything that’s not in W-Space. This is a game about spaceships with super advanced computers that bio interface with your immortal brain. Finding a hunk of metal in space that’s been registered to a database shouldn’t be an issue.

Please try to remember that EVE is still just a game, and that that fact is not lost on new and casual players.

Concord keeps track of what is in WH space also, otherwise you couldn’t use a WH structure to declare or receive a war, and you couldn’t clone out of WH space also.

Well, you can’t… clone jump out of WH space if that’s what you mean. But yeah, there’s the war stuff, there’s also the bounty payouts from pirate rats in some WH data/relic sites and also some nullsec anoms/sigs that are found in shattered WHs.

Medical clone. Get podded in wh space. wake up elsewhere.
The only way that can happen is if they keep track of what happens in wh space.

Ah, well, yes… doesn’t work the other direction, though. :wink:

Egad, if you didn’t end up at your med station when podded in WH space… one wonders what the mechanic would be… endlessly drifting consciousness in J-space, so far, far from New Eden home… lost forever. Permadeath.

inb4 EVE Hardcore/Ironman server.

I was listening to walking in stations, it was Test and Horde players as well as Commander Aze who I know from the war dec discord. One thing I noticed was that two of them were adamant that they would go to hisec and would go do some burning of hisec war deckers.

So it got me to thinking about game balance in terms of the decision to not allow allies to rep the defender etc. While I think it is a very important aspect of getting hisec players to gang up and help each other against predatory groups like PIRAT and Marmite, on the other side it of course enables the major nullsec coalitions to really smash the hisec war deckers.

From a game balance point of view I certainly understand why CCP would not want the Imperium running around with full on fleets and destroying any war decker. I want consequences however I do not want the larger hisec war deckers to be bulldozed out of the game despite my distaste for PIRAT (due to the botting, if it was not for that I would be full on respect.)

So for me even though I don’t like it as it gets in the way of hisec players developing against war decs, it does have a major positive game balance impact to keep hisec war deckers in the game.

I would suggest that CCP keep this aspect in mind after a certain point in time however, because the objective has to be for hisec players to get up and fight. I am not a fan of balancing the game based on what the Imperium will do, but I certainly understand it at this point.

So while I don’t like it from the perspective of wanting to create a hisec coalition, I understand it as being the required balance for the game at this point.

So close yet so far, you wanted to decrease player avoidance? Well done you just increased it. If getting a single star base makes you a war target immediately why would you use the star base system, I don’t see the benefits especially with the cost involved getting building and maintaining it added with the risk of losing it.
The war system should be entirely opt in without being affected by most structures, exception being those that cuts off a resource from other players. Like the player owned customs office. Otherwise stop trying to push combat pvp on people that don’t want it.

1 Like

Yep, if you could hold onto people in your tiny little corp from people who went off to huge corps or stayed in the safety of the NPC corps, you ultimately end up with your whole corp hiding in starbases because some ISK miner randomly decided this week they were declaring war on you. A lot of us just quit the game altogether. Maybe we’ll come back now. The whole war mechanic has been abused for years by people who didn’t want to “live their dreams” but who instead wanted more of other people’s currency and found that randomly throwing around war declarations was a convenient mechanic to achieve that goal.

1 Like

It’s a game. People spend time and money on games to have fun. Being the fish in the barrel is not fun. People not having fun play other games.

2 Likes

The biggest problem I see as effectively a lurking noob is that this does nothing to prevent or curtail the actions of groups like that led by James 315. To this day, he and his ilk are still plagued with a bad case of diarrhea of the mouth (or, in this case, the keyboard), actively looking for reasons to call someone an alt, “bot-aspirant,” or in general violating their precious COOOOOOOOOOOOODE, and just making the game a far less enjoyable experience for most everybody with the misfortune to run afoul of them. Thankfully, I’ve been lucky enough to neither run across them nor so much as be in their sphere of influence, but the fact that they’re still around does discourage me and likely other players from sticking around.

Granted, in my case, a combination of both ****ternet and a lack of disposable income to speak of has kept me away from the game for the past year, but I do eventually want to come back. I just don’t want those hamfisted assholes to be looming over me when I do. The same goes for anyone I play with.

From what I’ve seen, every Code enforcer has been in a non-player corporation, which, to my knowledge, is exempt from wardecs. Now CCP plans to expand that safe haven? That ■■■■ stinks something fierce. Literally the only thing going against ganking in highsec is CONCORD, but when the gankers don’t care (as Code enforcers have regularly demonstrated) and people get bit for trying to enjoy the game the way they want to (and in many cases paid to), that only hurts player retention. Make the game more enjoyable for the newer players, and they’ll be more likely to stick around. That’s an elementary business concept that this update would miss entirely.

So we should stop all competitive gaming in case someone loses?

Snowflake gaming: everyone gets a medal. :thumbsupparrot:

There is plenty of space between people being fish in a barrel & stopping all competition.

Think of pirate movies. The ships all carry cannon, the sailors all carry swords and pistols. There are differences in speed, number of guns, skill etc, so there are winners and loosers. But none of them are fish in a barrel.

At first it was “Give us a social corp so players that don’t want PVP can still play together wihtout being harrassed”… Now it is “Give players a chance to have a structure without being affected by Wardecs, give us a chance, expect for Custom Offices”… Next will be " Remove wardecs altogether unless consensual, it isn’t fair. It’s never fair!"

Citadels do impact other players, moon mining, industry competion, market PVP as much as POCO do.

Remove ganking, make Hisec 100% safe.

2 Likes

I said the same thing when they were introduced, why would I want to put a big indefensible target in space?

At least with a POS you had the option of taking it down or increasing the defence etc by turning it into a death star.

But someone had a stupid idea about trying to force conflict on players who didn’t pvp and who weren’t remotely interested in pvp. This was a massive mistake. It always will be.

Now they’re saying that you will become a war target instantly, and this is supposed to encourage players back who left because of the wardecs in the first place?

There has to be a way in game for everyone to be able to use all the facilities available without having to be a target, there has to be a way available to compete industry wise without having to become a target and without having to use NPC stations.

When citadels were introduced we were promised a small structure suitable for solo players. That never happened, it still hasn’t.

Those were the reasons my love of the game slowly diminished to the point where my sub elapsed last September. I would love something to appear to get me back playing, but this isn’t it.

All these changes to force conflict are stupid, it’s no wonder the game is shedding players and struggling to attract more. You can’t grow a game by focussing on only one aspect.

Now I know some are going to chime in and say it was better a few years ago and more were playing, and I agree. But before Citadels we had options for the POS and 24 hours to decide what to do, take it down or stand and fight…where’s the options now for a small corp or solo player?

Please don’t start me on the costs for running a Citadel either :slight_smile:

Sounds to me like you want to have your cake and eat it too.

You don’t want to have to use NPC stations because it’s cost beneficial to use an Upwell Structure.

You don’t want to have to risk your structure because you’re unwilling / uninterested in fighting.

Do you not see a problem with this? Why not try to find someone or a group that has no qualms with defending their structures and make an agreement to use theirs? Why not make connections like that?

Sounds to me like you need to either make some sacrifices, lower your expectations, or change the way you look at the game. These things are vulnerable and if you want to play some version of this where you’re isolated, then I think you’ll end up with disappointment.

Hope you figure it out!

Been there done that several times, until they went unfueled…again. Simply because corps put up a citadel and only after it’s online do they realise exactly how much it costs to keep it running.

Then ofc you have to find ones that are bonused to what you want to produce. I made ships, ammo, crystals, rigs, drones, modules etc etc. To continue to make all those takes a lot of hunting to find appropriate citadels, and I don’t particularly want to go back to null sec to do it.

As I mentioned, trying to find a solution is what drove my declining interest. I keep following the game hoping for a change that’ll bring me back, this definitely isn’t it.

1 Like

Yeah I can understand that. I agree that relying on others can seem like a horrible task, but have you tried to find a like-minded group of players that are interested in your goals and ambitions? Maybe y’all can form a corp or alliance where you can hammer all this out.

I don’t think that this is all your fault in how I think you’re approaching the game. I think CCP has a lot of work to do with how players can interact with each other in positive ways. Part of me wishes CCP would implement limited resources for players to fight or negotiate over as well as limiting the number of structures in a given system. I would like to think that the structures that are left standing are ones with responsible and active owners that players such as yourself could depend on to manage their structure so you could form a working relationship.

Yes. Doesn’t everyone start with guns?

Aren’t wars OPT IN?

No one is fish in a barrel in eve.

Congratulations. You missed my point entirely.

You can’t wardec a non-player corporation. That’s why CODE enforcers hide in them, is to make it more difficult for players to retaliate. The only way you can retaliate short of a wardec is either through kill rights, which requires they shoot you first, or a low security rating or criminal flag, which means CONCORD is already taking their ass for grass. With this update, all they’ll have to do to avoid being wardecced is hide in a player corporation with no structures. It’s not just CODE that’s the issue, but they’re definitely one of the more famous examples.

Please take the time to actually read what I type next time before you dump all over it. I read up on these things to be well-informed rather than just talking out of my ass.