Did the last update break Eve under Linux?

That problem has nothing to do with Linux though and is properly documented here:

If you are attached to your window layouts and overview, look here how to backup/transfer them.
Or use this chance to get rid of some stuff you don’t really need anymore :smiley:

yep that’s absolutely not stupid… i’ll do that. Thx fior the tip :slight_smile:

Finally, I’d be interested to have an idea of about how many ppl run Eve under any linux flavor… I’m sure that’s not a so negligible and can even imagine we could have a surprise on that

1 Like

TY, But it diddnt report in game as nvidia, using this command… On a brighter note, Lutris DID finally work as of one hour ago!! still testing!! With NVIDIA graphics and a nice performance boost!

To be fair, it would not surprise me if that just starts the launcher with the nvidia GPU and then the launcher does not know about the GPU.

Salut, j’ai le même problème depuis le dernier patch il y a quelques jours. J’ai réinstallé le jeu mais c’est différent et wine apparaît maintenant comme un dossier nouveau dans ./eve. Il y a deux ans, je me suis connecté au jeu via la plateforme de eve pour Linux et en apparence, ce n’est plus possible maintenant.

Which way to install EVE under Linux did you use?

wget https://binaries.eveonline.com/evelauncher-1543721.tar.gz

If the link no longer works you can go here if there is something new. (i have use the last version from CCP)

tar -xf eveluncher-*.tar.gz
cd evelauncher
./evelauncher.sh

Mafrelou Picq, I cannot be absolutely sure about that but if you use the eve university guide provided package, it seems it is almost dead now and will probably not run the game anymore. Further the wine version provided with this bundle is now somehow old, and it is better installing at least the version 7 of wine I think, and then install from the latest windows installer

Yes I think that’s correct. I see Anderson’s script and I’ll try to use it. Thank you

ROFL.
Today I restart the game, nothing. Transparent launcher window.

I reinstall the Launcher (from yesterday) and it starts. also I set it to beta, maybe I should not ?

The same thing happened to me 2 days ago, I removed evelauncher 1747682, downloaded the newest windows installer, and used bottles. I reinstall EVE as a “bottle” it works great now it all took about 2 hours to get back up and running.

Fedora 34
wine-7.2 (Staging)
kernel 5.16.18-100
RPMs:
bottles.noarch
python3-qt5-webengine.x86_64
wine.x86_64

Just wanna chip in here to say I only got it working be creating a fresh wineprefix and reinstalling Eve from the latest Windows launcher.

I tried vigorously to make my old installation work, but to no avail.
I do, however, have much improved performance now that I also got a much newer DXVK verison.

Remember to back up your cache folder. Mine was installed in a weird path in my old wineprefix, just find it with find <wineprefix> -type d -name EVE and backup the folder named something like c_eve_sharedcache_tq_tranquility.

Now, just create a fresh wineprefix, remember to install corefonts, and run the installer. Start your chars and rsync the contents of your backup. Voila!

Debian 11 x64. So far no luck with neither wine 5 from Debian repository, nor wine 7.5 from staging.

Yet Steam works ok, if I select manually Proton 5.0-10

Proton 5.0-10 is based on Wine 5 but isn’t Wine 5 verbatim. Distro repos are not a good source for upstream software, try the stable source on WineHQ.

Real pro’s roll their own distro.

Wonder how the Gentoo crowd is doing compiling Eve.

In b4 people still claim kernel devs don’t break user space.

I followed your instructions and then I got this error.

WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wineprefixes/eve/ $HOME/.cache/dxvk/dxvk-1.10.1/setup_dxvk.sh install /home/stuffnex/wineprefixes/eve/: Not a valid wine prefix.

Also following the instructions something is not clear. You suggest to download the windows launcher which is EveLauncher-2023444.VMWwPqM1Q-Krwa21XW5LGA
no such

Did you mean EveLauncher-2023444.VMWwPqM1Q-Krwa21XW5LGA?

I assume you downloaded the launcher in $HOME/.cache/eve/EveLauncher.exe . In reality it is in my Downloads/ dir. change the path accordingly.

yes, you need to install the game first (or init the prefix with eg WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wineprefixes/eve winecfg )

Thank you for you help, however I can’t make progresses.
Yes last tip worked, however I have an error installing from the launcher in wine.

install error

Frustration is skyrocketing, thanks Anderson to bear this with me

“ignore”. always present.

Set winecfg for the prefix to Windows 10 to get the installer to work on Wine.

Irony is, their mininum requirements to the game is Windows 7 but the installer needs Windows 10.

Take that as a hint, Windows 7 is likely to be cut sometime in the future like DX9.

I had a situation where the installer needed W10 prefix configuration and the launcher needed W7 configured in the prefix, now it works with W10 on both.