Did the last update break Eve under Linux?

I canceled my accounts.

■■■■ that ■■■■.

1 Like

Alright, it is unfortunately expected that the retired Linux launcher is no longer working with the new UI version. :frowning: It was even surprising that it was still working in the last few months.

@Fotis Great to hear, that the Steam version is working for you now.
@Anderson_Geten Have you tried the Steam version as well?

ok now it seems I can start one account .

I need to change the settings.

They are in

drive_c/users/$USER/AppData/Local/CCP/ → $HOME/.config/ccp/
drive_c/EVE/EVESharedCache/ → $HOME/.cache/eve/EVESharedCache

Strange, does not seem to work anymore

Where are my .dat gone ?

edit :
okay they were moved from h_.cache_eve_evesharedcache_tq_tranquility/ to c_eve_sharedcache_tq_tranquility/
renaming the old one to the new one seems to work

okay, after reinstallation of the new launcher, update of the path, added dxvk, I added my toons again and they are back, with their settings.

Hi all,
well, I see i’m not alone with this problem… not very comfortable in fact, I’d prefer to see all is well for all so it should just have been a problem with my install…
But well, now I begin to get some progress but still not playable.

I had to remove all the files from the game, and all versions of Wine (I had the 5.0).
Then got installed Wine V 7.0, ran then ran winetricks and then I saw Eve saw present in the “install game” section ! “Ok guy go on”, thinking it would be fine then…
All the stuff got install nicely, the launcher could make the job normally… or just ‘as if all was normal’, has I didn’t check how it uses my computer resources…
Clicking on my account, the game launches… and then all is sooooo slow !
In general Eve on my computer delivers something like 20-30 fps which is not good but acceptable to play… here I get 0-1 fps ! just unplayable ! I run Ubuntu 20.04 on a laptop with 8 cores (core I7 4800 MQ 8x2.7 GHz, 16 Go RAM and a nvidia quadro 2100 graphical card) and up to now all was OK.
I had to check regularly how Eve used my resources and in general I get something like a mean CPU cores usage between 30-50%, but now I get 100% busy cores ! So even the host systems have difficulties to work correctly.
I thought is was due to a too old installer provided by winetricks, so remove Eve again, downloaded the latest from download page of the Eve Online site, installed it through winetricks, changed a few settings in wine to ensure compatibility with windows 10 and make sure that dx9 and dx11 was installed, but it’s still not better…
I’m continuing to work on it and will tell you if I get a solution, in between if someone have an idea, I’m ready to try everything.

Good luck for the unlucky like me who cannot get it back easily :S

Do you have dxvk installed? Also check if EVE is trying to run the graphics on the GPU or the CPU with CTRL-F

@CCP_Habakuk

Abakuá - Wikipedia ?

Seems like it was a migration from the old settings to the new ones. I have had issues since a long time, and needed to prevent updating to the new launcher since … long When I forgot to, I had to reinstall the old one from 2020-08-31

fresh install, with symlinking the config and shared cache, also renaming the config dir (as explained above) worked.

I have some sound issues when exiting Jita, but otherwise seems to work.

Mevatla Vekraspek, just go on eve online site, at the top of the page, download section, you should get the latest Eve Online installer version

Happening here too, Debian 11 with XFCE.
The launcher loads the marble animation and downloads the game updates, and then just sits there.

I was able to log in using my other computer on Windows, but that computer isn’t nearly as capable as my Linux machine is.

Currently using evelauncher 1747682 from the EveUniversity info. Is there a newer version that corrects this?

Shalmon Aliatus, yes it uses my GPU
About dxvk, I though nvidia drivers already included vulkan in the packages, or am I wrong ? I’ll check

Meanwhile, I think I finally succeeded in getting the game back. I tried to install some nvidia packages I didn’t have up to now and it seems the game works better (CPU cores load still high, between 80 and 100% but now get around 25-30 fps (docked in station but i’m downloading the whole game in the same time…)
I’ll check once all the stuff loaded and will tell you if that can help some here

1. download the last launcher from the official site (windows version)
  2. create your wineprefix mkdir -p $HOME/wineprefixes/eve
  3. symlink to your cache
    1. create your cache mkdir -p $HOME/.cache/eve/EVESharedCache
    2. create eve cache dir mkdir -p $HOME/wineprefixes/eve/drive_c/EVE/
    3. symlink ln -s $HOME/.cache/eve/EVESharedCache $HOME/wineprefixes/eve/drive_c/EVE/EVESharedCache
  4. symlink to your config
    1. create your config mkdir -p $HOME/.config/ccp
    2. create eve config dir mkdir -p $HOME/wineprefixes/eve/drive_c/users/$USER/AppData/Local/
    3. symlink ln -s $HOME/.config/ccp $HOME/wineprefixes/eve/drive_c/users/$USER/AppData/Local/CCP
  5. install dxvk
    1. make cache dir mkdir $HOME/.cache/dxvk
    2. download wget https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/download/v1.10.1/dxvk-1.10.1.tar.gz -O $HOME/.cache/dxvk/dxvk.tar.gz
    3. untar tar -xvf $HOME/.cache/dxvk/dxvk.tar.gz -C $HOME/.cache/dxvk/
    4. apply dxvk WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wineprefixes/eve/ $HOME/.cache/dxvk/dxvk-1.10.1/setup_dxvk.sh install
  6. install the game WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wineprefixes/eve/ wine $HOME/.cache/eve/EveLauncher.exe
  7. run the launcher WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX=$HOME/wineprefixes/eve/ wine C:\\\\Eve\\eve.exe

dxvk is a layer for wine to use vulkan. nvidia drivers have vulkan, but wine does not know how to work with it without dxvk.

I am using launcher 2023444, and have had no issues today, participated in a fairly large battle in fact.
Wine 7.5-staging, slackware-current (15.x).

Same here launcher version 1747682
Sadly I don’t have enough data transfer for this month to download again the newest version.
This means I will be able to do it from the 1st of April…
I will not be able to log since then… shall I state my feelings? Better not

As proposed by Anderson Geten, I installed the latest dxvk for wine 7.0 on my system and it seems I get a little gain in performance, CPU usage dropping a little around 60-70% for approx. 30 fps. Not bad compared to what I had previously.
So if I try to summarize all I had to do to get Eve back on my laptop running ubuntu 20.04 (core i7 8x2.7, 16Go RAM, nvidia quadro K2100M) :

• first had to remove all files from old Eve version
  • removal of all wine versions (had the v5.0 and that provided by the eve uni guide linux installer)
  • installed wine 7.0 with d3dx11_43, d3dx9/dx9_43, d9vk (also implements dx11), windows 10 system based
  • latest Eve installer from the official site launched from the win explorer

now, have to get back my overview, hud config etc etc… well, not a big problem.
Thanks all folks who helped and commented here, I hope all that will help those having troubles getting the game back.

Nice game to all and fly safe :slight_smile:

I have made more than one post lambasting the eve uni post. It is trash and should be removed from the interwebs. It is literally the worst way to install eve possible.

That said, now today I have issues on my main driver whereas yesterday it was fine on both it and the laptop post update. So annoying. Will post back when I figure it out.

Seems to crash out while doing yet another purge of files; sometimes shows launcher content sometimes doesn’t. Wouldn’t be half as annoying if I only had to kill 1 or 2 processes after it crashes, but it always seems to generate 10 sub processes that seem to do nothing except stop it from restarting afterward.

xxx
Progress:
In steam tried swapping all proton versions; no effect
tried deleting frozen in time launchdarkly_client.pyd (from September 2021); no effect
Tried steam uninstall of eve and then reinstall - client now launches fine but does not authenticate. More BS about not being able to open login page - did in fact generate a PIN code to my phone…just launcher buggery. Not sure how to add qtweb libraries to the proton install; so perhaps will be stuck with vanilla wine again for a while. further testing required.
xxx
Bingo.
Mint 20.3 via proton/steam.
Worked on 29/30 March; stopped working on 30/31March.
Via steam, uninstalled.
Via steam, reinstalled.
Copied over old launchdarkly_client.pyd and suddenly the launcher could stay open, and authenticate again.

FML…

For reference dumped launchdarkley_client.pyd file in the following directories (again, and no they didn’t change during previous updates…makes literally no sense at all)
/home/yourname/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Eve Online/SharedCache/tq/bin64
/home/yourname/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Eve Online/SharedCache/tq/

Anyone figure out how to force steam to use the Nvidia card in a hybrid setup? When I use steam it makes me use the intel graphics card. and wine/lutris seems to not work anymore

I think you have to add

env __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia %command%

to the launch options if you want to force steam to use your GPU. At least that is what I do for Core Keeper.

That’s why I symlink the config -.-