🐍 Django Technology Megathread

A megathread for all things Django related to EVE Online.

Packages

All packages below are Django applications that can be included in your project to help build EVE Online integrations.

The traditional way of including Django apps is adding them to INSTALLED_APPS, and then including their urls.py. See how to make reusable applications on the Django documentation.

Name Description
Django ESI Django application built for ESI functionality using Bravado
Django EVE Connector ESI & SSO support with character/corporation/alliance data model storing
Django EVE Doctrine manager Doctrine & fitting support with skill checking
Django EVE timerboard Timers and timerboard support
Django Discord Connector API & SSO Support for Discord servers
Django Discourse Connector API & SSO Support for Discourse forums
Django Universe Eve Static database tool

Platforms

Name Description
Krypted Community management platform for EVE Online
AllianceAuth Auth system for EVE to help in-game organizations manage online service access.

Including your Project

Just drop a reply with your GitHub link and it’ll get added.

2 Likes

You might want to also add your apps to this repo: https://github.com/devfleet/awesome-eve/

Thank you so much for doing this- I am a very junior Django/python dev (just starting out learning it, but been involved in tech since the 80’s) and I’ve been struggling with how to do the login management part of the app I want to develop (SP farm tracker). I really appreciate you putting this together.

1 Like

Very useful, thank you!

1 Like

@BearThatCares Could you please add this new app:

Name: django-eveuniverse
Description: Complete set of Eve Online Universe models with on-demand loading from ESI
URL: https://gitlab.com/ErikKalkoken/django-eveuniverse

Hey, that looks like an awesome project! Maybe I can rip out my static database manual queries :stuck_out_tongue:

Added

1 Like

@BearThatCares

Hi, i am a Programmer with some years of experience in PHP but want to try python. Two questions :

• What python version you are using ? why ?
  • What server you suggest to use ? Providers ?

I am using now dedicated servers under CPanel and VPS without problems for my PHP and ruby on rails customers.

Regards …

I

Thanks! Getting rid of the SDE was indeed one of the main goals of this project.
I am already using it successfully for a couple of my apps and it works great.

If you have any questions or improvement suggestions please let me know!

Hi, I am mostly developing for Alliance Auth, a web app that helps you manage your Eve alliance.

Python

We are currently using Python 3.6, because it is well supported by many platforms (e.g Ubuntu 18 comes with Python 3.6 out of the box).

My production environment is running on Python 3.7 (because it is faster).
Still a bit hesitant to move to 3.8, because some libraries reported compatibility issues some month ago, but will probably upgrade to 3.8 at some point.

Server

To run your own Python website literally any VPS will do as long as get a console with root access. There are many good providers out there. For starters I would check out: linode, vultur, digital ocean

Dev Environment

Let me just add a note about dev environments. While you can develop with Python on almost any platform I really can recommend using WSL and VS Code on Windows 10. It allows you to run your Python code under Linux, while coding and debugging on Windows 10. The big benefit is that it allows you develop your app on the same platform that you later run it.

If you are interested we have a detailed documentation on how to set this up: https://allianceauth.readthedocs.io/en/latest/development/dev_setup/aa-dev-setup-wsl-vsc-v2.html

many thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.