Do we have to "pay" to develop third party applications built on ESI?

Do we have to “pay” to develop third party applications built on ESI?

Do we have to “register” our developed applications?

I checked the page and it states I have to pay and have an invalid account to be a developer using ESI.

If you want to use ESI, you have to have paid for playing the game at least once. You do not have to pay for using ESI, but for playing EVE. That’s them basically saying “if you want to hammer our API, then give us money at least once, okay?”

If you want to use ESI, you have to register an application at https://developers.eveonline.com/. Otherwise you don’t get the keys to do so. If you don’t use ESI, you don’t have to register the application.

2 Likes

What are the “keys”? Where is the details on the keys.

What if I no longer wish to play the game but want to continue developing ESI applications?

What are the “keys”? Where is the details on the keys.

What if I no longer wish to play the game but want to continue developing ESI applications?

You can do that. As I said above, you only have to pay once.

1 Like

But the account shall be deleted thus will the “key” for development be revoked?

I don’t know.

I think it’s important to know :slight_smile:

Also, probably not a good idea to use a gaming account for development key assignment. So it’s a paywall to buy a development key assigned to an account.

Why would the account be deleted? You might biomass all characters on an account, but that doesn’t delete the account.

But to know for certain that if you wanted the account itself deleted, the best way to know what would happen to application keys, would be to raise a support ticket and ask.

1 Like

You’re entering a legal agreement when registering on the development site, so, they do have to somehow verify your identity, I’m pretty sure the reason for the “pay once” is just way to identify who you are. The amount payed doesn’t matter at all, either.

1 Like

We also enter a legal agreement when we play Eve without paying. The moment you create an account you’re entering a legal agreement.

If the amount payed doesn’t truely matter at all, either, then why don’t they refund it? Why such a large amount if it doesn’t matter? Why not a penny/cent?

Also the developer of the application is not responsible for the users of the application. You cannot 1) do “collective punishment” and 2) be punished for the crimes of others.

Your argument does not hold.

Better question is why do you think you shouldn’t have to pay? If you don’t think it’s justified then don’t develop with it and move on.

1 Like

Perhaps because I want to develop applications for Linux that there is a huge gaping hole.

So again, either pay for some omega time, or just don’t. It’s not hard.

Surprisingly I don’t think ccp will lose sleep over it.

I don’t want my development key associated with my actual game account. I want them decoupled.

Why? And if that’s the case just sub some other account. You seem to really like finding ways to make thing needlessly difficult. Are you just masochistic or do you just like complaining?

Besides I thought eve was dying is it even worth the effort?

2 Likes

Then make another account?

Likely an Arch user.

3 Likes

The developer agreement is different because you could have access to data of other players, not just simple “I consent to terms and conditions.” I.e. they reserve the right to hold you liable if you were to misuse a dev app. As such needing to have payment on record prevents using temp emails or something that would result in the account being untraceable.

2 Likes

The developer agreement is different because you have access to data of other players

The account owner controls their own ESI permissions.

I actually want even more fine grained control of permissioning to each endpoint for user control so even if I request permissions, the owner should be able to restruct each endpoint permission, I have a topic on this already. See here More control over ESI permissions

The applicaiton won’t be collecting data, it will be a local app not a website.

FWIW, if your application doesn’t need any of the authed endpoints, you don’t need a dev app just access the public endpoints.

It will be a character app so the user would need to permission their data. It will be their control.

1 Like