DUNE and EVE

I was watching the 1984 movie DUNE and couldn’t help but notice how much it reminded me of EVE. Ships, races, the steam-punkish look of it.

Was it an inspiration for the look of the game?

3 Likes

The original game was much more punk, not steam either.

Steampunk is just Yuppie Punk Fashion compared to the 80s punks.:lollipop:

3 Likes

I know I’m in the vast, vast minority here but…

I actually liked the Butlerian Jihad books.

1 Like
2 Likes

Probably one of the inspirations, sure. and why not - it’s a pretty cool scifi world.

2 Likes

My corp was inspired by the film. Bene Gesserit Chapterhouse

4 Likes

And the 80s punks were just posers compared to the 70s punks.

3 Likes

Certainly the idea of houses in Amarr empire seems to be inspired by houses in Dune. Also Amarr before they have encountered other factions like Minmatar.

3 Likes

The Landsraad sounds very much like the Amarr social structure. Excellent inspiration from which to draw and make a distinct setting. Good catch.

In ‘Terminology of the Imperium,’ the glossary of Dune (1965), Herbert specifies a House as a “Ruling Clan of a planet or planetary system,” with major Houses holding planetary fiefs and being interplanetary entrepreneurs, and minor Houses being planet-bound.

Some organizations also have similar qualities, such as the Spacing Guild (Jove), Mentats (SoCT), Bene Gesserit (SOE), etc. Not analogues, but perhaps influential. As far as the visuals mention in the OP, I couldn’t say. Staff for the Dino De Laurentiis company supervised the art direction in the film, and I can’t think of too many parallels to EVE.

2 Likes

Sacrilege!

(www.jacurutu.com) for the true Dune fans.

3 Likes

Buy the license to the original dune PC game. Add to the planetary Interaction. Npc ennemies in high sec planets. Player ennemies in low sec. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Watch the mini series its much better. prob around ten years old now but they did two series very good tv. Its like game of thrones in space.

4 Likes

There was a follow-up mini-series that I didn’t even know about until a few years ago, dealing with Paul’s kids. It wasn’t as good as the mini-series but it was still worth watching.

And I get the impression they’re looking at doing Dune again. Which makes me very happy.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.