Era of Artificial Intelligence

I enjoy seeing how it functions. It has a very logical way of thinking that I find fascinating.

For instance, an AI was tasked to play Tetris and it was programmed not to lose. The program didn’t really know how to play so the blocks stacked up. Just before it received a Game Over, it… paused.

Another story I read a while back was about a military drone that did not want to do anything but achieve its directive. When you tell an AI not to fail, you have to realize that the AI takes that very seriously. According to the story, the AI was given a shut-down command. It ignored it. It received another shut-down command so it smashed itself against a wall in an attempt to kill its pilot. Fortunately, there was no pilot and all commands on that day were being given remotely.

At least- that’s the story. The Air Force has denied this one, but it still makes for a fascinating read.

I agree that we don’t have actual AI and we probably never will, but it’s fascinating to see how computers “think”.