Eve Bots - are they a bad thing, is CCP complicit in their use?

One of the issues the community has are statements like this. Esp. when the botter that sparked the current outrage is still active.

Over the years it has become obvious that CCP doesnt do jackshit (no matter the topic, not only botting) until the comunity outrage hits a certain level. There were so many promises made and broken that statements like yours are what we are used to for a lot of unfixed issues.

In terms of botting I suggest publishing a list with banned characters so we can actually verify the effort instead of looking at some numbers and then experiencing the same dudes botting for years ingame. To make it clear I am not talking about publishing sensitive information or account names etc. just character names.

A statement like yours is one thing, seeing the nyx botter still being active is another.

3 Likes

bots discourage many players in all mmo, even if the playerbase’s number suffer about it, a massive bot ban is a very good publicity for a game!
go clean the well know bot system named up!
i’m sure poinen and dwelve are not so far!
and thanks for the good job kicking their ass to another universe!
\o/

Of course, the root issue, which was a CCP/CSM/null sec cartel creation, is the insane wealth generation potential in a null sec system with the last round of new NPC and associated bounties. Without them, a lot of this problem is mitigated.

CCP wants a simple fix? How about cutting the null sec bounties in half, or more, until CCP can figure out how to deal with this latest flareup of the old plague. But no, anything that impacts on the “legitimate” wealth generation by “legitimate” null sec players must not be affected.

The ISK must flow.

1 Like

Are you actually serious ?
You know that there are jita trading bots, highsec mining bots, highsec hauling bots and so on aswell ?
This is not a nullsec issue.

Also null and lowsec have to have a potential higher profit margin than highsec in a game that is supposed to reward risk.
If you are unhappy with your highhsec income move to low or nullsec.

1 Like

Spoken like a true null sec propagandist.
Ever heard of low-hanging fruit?

Give me an example of a bot, outside of Jita, that makes 2 trillion/month in high sec, or low sec.
You start with the easy ones, specifically the null sec ratting bot income, and work towards the harder ones to get.

CCP is approaching yet another credibility crisis, again of their own making. Attacking the highest source of bot income is a good PR move.

2 Likes

Politic
Politic…

Bots have been a problem in any game I played,read about,or talked about. They destroy game economies and much more. With the advent of F2P models its magnifies the problem. When the bots are being minimized,then there is room for talk about the segregation differentials. Players having 5,10,50 bot alts is insane. The 1k number given today isn’t even a drop in the bucket. I look at the logon numbers and can’t help to think to divide it by half or more to get a real count.

Bots need to go!

2 Likes

It is impossible to get rid of every bot. There are too many people that will constantly adapt scripts to counter whatever CCP throws at them. As long as demand for ISK exists, you can never 100% eradicate them. Think of it as the farcical “war on drugs” the u.s. supposedly wages.

But if CCP was serious, as a good first step they would hire 3 or 4 people whose mandate, exclusively, is to hunt down, ban, and most importantly, expose botters and RMT’s. A wall of shame would go a long way to helping the player base self-police.

Now, CCP will say there are “privacy issues” involved with outing fictional characters creating fictional resources, that CCP completely owns. But the real reason CCP will NEVER out botters/RMT’ers is because patterns get exposed, specifically what groups inside Eve have benefited for so long.

You are talking about 10bots combined.

Also I think a discussion with you would be pointless since

and

indicates that you are either trolling or are riding some wired eve conspirancy theory and are going to dismiss any sane argument anyways.

3 Likes

Assuming it was 10 Nyx’s in that russian held space, that means each is making 200 billion / month.
So let’s dive into that math, shall we?
23 hours a day, 30 days a month is 690 hours.
Divide 200 billion by 690 hours = 298 million/ hour.

No income source in high sec, none, can produce that in a single system, over 690 hours. Peak, maybe, but not every hour for a month. Except, of, course bots in Jita.

So don’t give me crap with your false equivalencies between high sec and null sec.

No single nullsec system can do that either, and thats my last reply to you, as I clearly think you are just trolling at that point.

Also since we are allready talking multiple bots over multiple systems, both null/low and highsec gives more pr
ofit to more bots, so for more profit you just need more bots.

1 Like

I hear High sec has a Saviour who claims bots and bot aspirants are prohibited. Nice RP it is.

The quote above makes this player the Hero of High Sec. Imo this player got “this” ball rolling not spergludites on r/eve. This is beauty in action. A virtuous task with little reward. Daunting odds of success and still shows remarkable perseverance.

No offense James Three One Five,but this is where my praise goes.

Long live the Hero of High Sec Wanda Fayne

Now its in CCP hands. I’ll keep beating this drum unto its resolve or my ban.

3 Likes

Not really, it was Mathra who got the ball rolling and kept pushing. Maybe after this he won’t cancel his subs.

Thanks to those who supported the hunt. And those that still do.

I think the issue resonated everywhere. There isn’t any place in this game that you couldn’t find bots.
The big boys in NS get the headlines, and rightly so because the stakes are higher. But the cumulative effect of these bots hit everyone. Everywhere.

I haven’t seen the bots I have been tracking. Maybe they got whacked, or maybe they are in hiding. Either way I’ll consider it a small victory. And now for the rest of them…

8 Likes

While all you say is true,nonetheless you put your words to action. Other’s seemingly only hit targets of opportunity. Your effort was/is proportionately higher compared to the actual Isk payoff. That deserves praise in itself. I found it inspiring.

Thank You

3 Likes

Talk is cheap.
All eve players know the bot issue and there are also many posts complaining about this theme on Reddit.But what happened?
Bots continue botting.

1 Like

Assuming it was 10 Nyx’s in that russian held space, that means each is making 200 billion / month.
So let’s dive into that math, shall we?
23 hours a day, 30 days a month is 690 hours.
Divide 200 billion by 690 hours = 298 million/ hour.

No income source in high sec, none, can produce that in a single system, over 690 hours. Peak, maybe, but not every hour for a month. Except, of, course bots in Jita.

I’m not really sure where these numbers come from. I decided to do a reality check and look up the actual figures for bounties collected in Omist as contained in the monthly economic reports for the second half of 2017. This is what I found:

July 2017 - 997 billion ISK
Aug 2017 - 1112 billion ISK
Sep 2017 - 1189 billion ISK
Oct 2017 - 1632 billion ISK
Nov 2017 - 1620 billion ISK
Dec 2017 - 1567 billion ISK

I think this is a good time to remind everyone that Omist is a 43 system region occupied by an entire rental alliance of over 2300 characters, not just 10 botting Nyx, so the totals pulled in by the super bots are a lot less.

I think some people make the mistake of thinking that bots are just as efficient at ratting as humans. They aren’t. Bots can just run longer, and run at times the human operator cannot be at the keyboard. Also, they have to dock up a lot, even in a backwater like Omist.

Oh, and I do enjoy a good story involving dead bots. Hopefully we get to see a lot more in the future. But let’s not go to the extreme and make them out to be superbeings, okay?

3 Likes

Titans and titan pilots have always been worth a fortune, even before super ratting was a thing, so it is legitimate for characters to amass giant fortunes.

I looked back through the histories of the nyx pilots. They’ve mostly been bought arrived late august into omist, prior to their arrival. The MER bounties ramped up by 600B a month at the same time. I expect 1 or 2 were there earlier (earning the money to buy more supers/super characters), so the upper end estimate for me would be 70B each, monthly.

200B/character a month is literally impossible for 10 omist located characters, because that is more than the whole region has put out monthly in as long back as the characters were all known to be there. Source - MERs.

So taking the realistic figure of 70b/mo character, the actual hourly rate is 100m/hr for 698 hours with a super if they were botted 23x7.

If I blitz, take burners with pre-prepared perfect ships (not the risky 1 rigs fits all dram), then I expect to make 100m/hr in highsec running missions (active at keyboard).

The issue is 23x7 super bots not being detected imo, not the money.

4 Likes

and btw the fix for FW bots and players with indistinguishable behavior to bots are still timer rollbacks. I tried to advertise that since before the inferno expansion or so. Long before FW ended.

wuba luba dub dub!

Wasn’t there a CSM or 2 in the giant NS alliances that get a large chunk of their funding via rat botting and resources via mining bots ? So the CSMs are also benefitting from the bots, no wonder they’re complacent.

Maybe its time for a CSM impeachment and put in some actual CSMs not related to the NS alliances.

I’ve seen this botting for a long time now. So have many many others. Only because it is a hot topic that CCP will finally make a public statement about it.

So what’s CCP plan for this, just wait and do nothing. Over time it will just be water under the bridge. Make a post about how CCP is fighting the good fight.

This makes a lot of people very angry!

1 Like

They’d need to stop the block voting first, while ever the major alliances can use that way to push their own agendas/candidates it’s a rarity to see anyone else have a chance.

What I’d like to see is a set amount of seats on the CSM reserved for each area of space and for CCP to vigorously police it to make sure none are just alts looking after the interests of their main account in a different area of space.

1 Like