Eve Bots - are they a bad thing, is CCP complicit in their use?

Not empty quoting

2 Likes

You need to read the thread, bro.

Its not about how many times bots WANT to pass the captcha.
Its about how many times they will HAVE to pass the captcha to keep their botting running whilst afk.

Nobody is suggesting everyone should fill a captcha before warping.

1 Like

A captcha catching a bot (assuming the bot doesn’t defeat the captcha) would have to be frequent enough that it can stop a bot. Reaching that frequency would dramatically inconvenience all real players, which is exactly what you want your customers to not experience.

And what decides when they’re afk? As far as the server is concerned, it’s getting input. It’s even getting it from the client, because as far as the client is concerned it’s getting it from the mouse and keyboard.

That was facetious. Any captcha popping up while the pilot is in space will inadvertently disrupt a real player at a very inopportune time, such as when they’re trying to crash a camped gate.

3 Likes

I would think a color matching captcha would be super easy for a machine to solve. Even the most basic art apps have a color dropper.

Really though, all this theorizing about how to beat the bots is stupid. CCP’s not going to do it or even think that hard about it, because they just don’t give a ■■■■. Seriously, what in the 15 years of EVE’s existence would lead anyone to believe that the anti-bot effort is anything more than a cheap PR?

1 Like

I remember it too. They were talking about learning how people use UI.

Looking back it’s funny correlating UI changes with this study. :thinking:

1 Like

Before you open your mouth, read back at least 20 posts.

Or they’ve realized that it could be the final nail in the coffin if they don’t finally deal with it, and they’re not ready to stop losing money?

1 Like

An always-on webcam? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Why, praytell, would they care about an AFK bot? What’s it going to do, AFK too much?

I could compile a very rudimentary bot in about 5 minutes that would defeat AFK detection. CCP does not utilize guardian software of any nature, which means that I could even just use AutoHotKey to defeat AFK detection. A violation of the EULA for sure, but so is botting… soo…

Ask yourself WHAT behaviour a bot is doing that you want it to stop. Such as ratting. Then ask yourself if a player would legitimately do that activity in the same way.

You’ll find that a bot and a player do the exact same activities, in the same way. A bot just does them for a LOT longer, without being at the keyboard.

As I said, I did. You make a number of asinine assumptions that I’m trying to say are asinine. It’s not that I didn’t read it, it’s that you’re wrong.

2 Likes

You are conflating basic art apps having a color dropper, with programming a bot to know wtf to do with it. The art app is basic. Programming a bot to make any use of that, or recognize colors in a grid, is master degree + years of experience in the field.

Most bots in EVE are simple scripts. The kind of capacity you are talking about is reserved for the bot “elite” that we will never be rid off. Fortunately, they almost never share their software/know-how, out of self-interest.

This is about wiping out the lazy idiot botters, whom comprise the greatest part of the volume, if not the value.

I have a hard time believing that. It may be true for a bot that has never seen it before, but if it’s the same shape grid, and each dot is in the same place, it would just need to query the hex code for the color at the relevant locations. A bot can already identify blue vs red and dock up, it’s not a huge leap to the next step.

1 Like

I think lately they internally abandoned the research and just do what they can with limited resources UI and economy side. I dont remember seeing any CCP research with convincing graphs last fanfest for those.

This is probably going to sound exceptionally stupid and please note the sarcasm dripping off of it in full force, but here goes:

CCP has opted to start down the path of attracting casuals and those that need their ego stroked by the computer telling them what such a good job of internet spaceships they’re doing with the interactive NPE and the nice people talking to you as you try to go to one of the new mining sites.

Why not, and I think this was a thing way back in the Wing Commander games, have one of the dirty rat NPC’s chime in and give you a good taunting as you’re approaching their turf in an anomaly/site/mission or as they’re moving in to your belt and your mining lasers are on.

Have three to six responses ready on the dialog pop-up. One to two are appropriate human responses to the taunt and the rest are there to catch a bot.

Add to the pool of taunt/response combinations every mini release or even every week’s patch. Needs to be regionalized, obviously.

CCP can hold a contest for submitting these taunts/responses once in a while. Peeps get a chance to be immortalized in taunts.

If the “human” picks a bot response, the site spawns something undesirable or does not spawn a faction rat or something of a similar nature, nothing has loot, etc.

Human responses give a cool-down period, though an option to include them at every site for flavor in the settings might be nice.

Add some taunting bots at gates (weak, or an extension of the roaming diamond npc’s) to catch the hauler bots.

Enough failures and picking of stupid responses the character gets flagged for bot review and they pop more frequently.

It won’t do anything about market bots (unless you want to have a taunt pop-up for people who price respond like a bot) but it would give a way to flag/hinder bots in space and add something in for plot purposes/stroking egos of those doomed to shoot NPC’s for the rest of their days.

1 Like

Im not going to ask about the specifics of how you claim bots can already identify blue vs red (and dock up, whatever that means).

As to the issue you raise of the dots appearing in the same place, I can adjust my suggestion for the captcha as a 3x3 field, to instead involve connecting two same color dots placed randomly in a space field, similar to how a constellation looks on the ingame map,

IE: To connect two similarly colored coordinate point dots placed randomly on a x/y axis, among differently colored dots, by clicking each, once.

Debating about what new layer of complexity to add?

Really?

Have I missed something about why it is ok to afk?

You are correct.

A bot detecting a blue or red entering system would require grabbing the window contents and programmatically parsing/handling it. A script is unable to do this.

A basic script that doesn’t care about the screen contents and just clicks blindly will be defeated by a catcha. But anything that can detect the content of the screen is not a script.

What you aren’t understanding here is that if a player can figure it out, so too can a bot. Unless it requires some kind of real-world common sense knowledge on routinely new topics. For example, “pick all the squares in this picture that have a street sign in them”. The next day it’s the same picture but the question is “pick all the squares in this picture that have a car in them”.

People can do that, bots can’t. They don’t know what a street sign or a car is unless you program the image recognition to recognize them. If you CAN program a bot for that, the Turing test would like a word with you.

I AFK all the time. In a station. But even if I did AFK out in space, with a VNI, running a site, is that bad? No. It’s not even against the TOS. Yes it’s incredibly stupid and I’m likely to lose my drones or my ship, but I totally can do it without any compunctions.

BOTTING IS NOT AFK.

2 Likes

Something like this:

A botting program would be able to answer that faster than a person would.

2 Likes

Is that the new map?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

–Gadget picks the blue one

4 Likes

On a scale of 1-10, how much do you know about “botting programs”?