EVE Launcher crashing on "Checking GUI Version..."

The irony here is, the launcher uses QT which is a CROSS PLATFORM framework that runs natively on Linux and we have to run it in WINE lol

And I’ve never gotten the “unofficial” official linux native version to run on gentoo. They ship a specific version of QT with that client and it doesn’t mix with the system libraries. It’s always ran great under wine until this problem though. There’s an arch AUR version of it that does reportedly work well, haven’t tried to port the tweaks over because wine has always worked so well. Be nice if they open sourced the launcher atleast; and we could do away with these issues, just give us an option on how we’re going to launch wine (pass command line arguments) for the actual game.

I would be content if they simply reverted whatever they did here to yesterday’s launcher though.

side by side versioning of libraries, we solved that decades ago, there’s even a wikipedia page covering that topic

If youre still limited to a single library version on your system, then you’re screwed

Spent some time tweaking naive stuff (DXVK | VCRun | WINEARCH | Lib override)
wine-staging 5.22 (gentoo) w/ the latest non-(Proton|Steam) windows launcher distribution

Nothing new. The client either crash instantly with “msvcp140_1.dll” error or make it to the “Checking GUI Version” choke point

BTW lutris configs seem to have absolute links to an older client versions. Most likely it will end up crashing in the same way after a certain component being updated

Same issue here, couldn’t run the launcher after the last update, so followed the “download the older installer” suggestion, and now it works again, but still require to cancel the launcher update process every time I start the launcher. Just posting to bring this to the attention of some CCP dev or moderator.

As to my distro it’s a debian based one. Had the problem with the Gallium 9 version of wine, then now tried with the latest staging wine from WineHQ. Doesn’t matter which version. Same issue, same momentary solution. Let’s hope for a fix soon enough.

EveLauncher-1850297.exe does not work for me. The launcher won’t crash like the current version but it decided to ask the confirmation codes for all my accounts and it is apparently incompatible with the current code checking api.

Works fine on Proton 5.0-10 so whatever Wine that is based on

Using the old launcher link and refusing the update every time I open the launcher does work for me. Wine 6.0, Kubuntu 20.04

1 Like

I finally found an installer that works for me: EveLauncher-1869293.exe
I found this by writing a web scraper that tried to download each version number down from the current version. Every few hundred numbers it found a downloadable version and after trying dozens of them I found this working one.

If you installed the old launcher into a new wine prefix, you can copy
(wineprefix)/drive_c/users/(username)/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE/
from the old prefix (the one with the new broken launcher) into the new prefix (with the old working launcher); and it should remember your account; not 100% on how this works but I had my password saved and no code verficiation; no password, the data is all in that folder

awesome; i was thinking about doing the same thing lol. launcher link I found was from a two month old reddit post. now we know the newest launcher we can use before it breaks

I did the installs to a new blank wine prefix and then copied the contents of drive_c/EVE/Launcher to the prefix that has my existing Eve installation. This way I reinstalled the launcher only keeping the rest of my Eve.

I’ve been wondering if you do pretty much that; but instead of copying the old launcher data (the working version) if you just copied over and overwrote msvcp140_1.dll, if that would do the trick. These dll seems to be the source of the problems.

copy msvcp140_1.dll from an old launcher into the current broken launcher.

1 Like

Having the same issues on
Wine build: wine-5.21-233-g764a93f121c (Staging)
Kernel: 5.10.15-1-MANJARO

Will try to copy in msvcp140_1.dll from another launcher version and see how it goes.

EDIT: No dice on that. Trying to copy the Launcher folder instead.

I just added the msvcp140_1.dll in the overrides through winecfg and it worked.
I am using the stable wine 4.0.4 on Fedora. However, the launcher asked me to update and I skipped it.

From which launcher version? The older copy of the launcher I had, has the same file. However that launcher version (1863399) is working.

If you skipped the update then it will work regardless.

For those who can’t be f… dealing with the issue until CCP (probably never) fixes it, I’ve uploaded the contents of the working Launcher directory.

You shouldn’t run binaries from a random guy on the internet, but hey it’s your choice. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I tried reinstalling in a fresh prefix but the launcher was still not starting.
Adding msvcp140_1 to the overrides got me to the “checking GUI version” display.
edit: Using Tyr’s Launcher made it work.

Clean install of 1863399 worked for me. Ignore the windows KB-something at unpacking stage and keep up hitting cancel button for the automatic launcher update (not sure if there is a way to turn that thing off)

You can specify launcher version to download within the link address like that

https://binaries.eveonline.com/EveLauncher-%version_number%.exe

To download 1863399 one from the official eve sources click here

1 Like