Eve on linux

I try to format the output for you :wink:

chris@chris-TECRA-A1 ~ $ mkdir -p "HOME/.wineprefixes"

chris@chris-TECRA-A1 ~ WINEPREFIX="HOME/.wineprefixes/eve/" winecfg

wine: created the configuration directory '/home/chris/.wineprefixes/eve'
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0x10ee8a0, overlapped 0x10ee8ac): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/chris/.wineprefixes/eve' has been updated.

chris@chris-TECRA-A1 ~ wget “https://binaries.eveonline.com/EveLauncher-1602194.exe” -O "HOME/.tmp/eveinstaller.exe"

chris@chris-TECRA-A1 ~ WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wineprefixes/eve/" wine "$HOME/.tmp/eveinstaller"

/home/chris/.tmp/eveinstaller.exe: No such file or directory

He is missing a ‘$’ in the download command so wget can’t create the .tmp directory in $HOME.

Besides this why will you create a .tmp in $HOME only for tihis installation? Just let him download the installer in his browser and show wine the full path to the download.

1 Like

Because with the limited knowledge he seem to have, any thing that requires interpretation of the graphical interface is at risk of creating an issue on his part.
See how he failed to copy my instructions ? Next step he asks where is the download folder, how to link it.

No, creating a .tmp was not mandatory. It just works. People with such low skills need something that works, rather than optimal.

But : thank you for formatting it. I really did not want to waste effort trying to understand what I thought he was not giving a second thought.

Lol, ok you are right with this :slight_smile: Btw its the first time that i have seen a private tmp directory in use for a long time using linux.

as he pointed out, i have very low knowledge in this field, so im confused lol

No problem as long you are willing to learn. We are all beginners, more or less. For better readable listings inside of forum posts have a look at this post: EVE Launcher build 1385477 beta release for linux where Whitehound give some advises about formating.

Linux related post in My EVE forum

Describes my journey in creating a new GNOME friendly launcher icon because the wine/windows icon selected by Lutris frankly sucked.

I’ve learned a thing or two about .desktop files employed in menu items, which comes in handy for manually constructing icons for appimages, (which happen to lack the ability to install app-icons currently).

Go grab the free SVG already.

Wouldn’t it be much easier if you just installed Steam for Linux and let Steam handle all the launcher and downloading stuff?

Just so there is no confusion, you do not have to have a Steam EVE account, just your regular EVE account.

You start Steam and install EVE Online. Steam comes with an inbuilt wine and Proton (for Vulcan™) and it adds an EVE Steam account like Steam:012345678 or similar to your regular EVE account.
When the launcher says its ready, start your client with your account and ignore the Steam account but under no circumstances delete that Steam EVE account.

okay, how do i install steam on linux ? lol

you install wine, create a wineprefix, … (JK)

sudo apt install steam-installer

But

NO.

whats wrong with the P4 ?

tried installing steam from software manager and got this msg
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintinstall/AptClient/AptClient.py”, line 74, in _run
cache.commit(acquire_progress_monitor, install_progress_monitor)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py”, line 574, in commit
with apt_pkg.SystemLock():
SystemError: E:Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable), E:Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), is another process using it?

This usually indicates that mint-update is doing something, like updating the packet list.

Try a few moments later.

same msg a day later

same msg 2 days later

What is your laptop model specifically?

toshiba tecra a1

That thing doesn’t even have enough memory to run the eve launcher. There is no way that thing will ever run EVE Online.

fair enough, ill blow the dust off another laptop and use that, thx 4 the help

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.